iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

272xp unknown cylinder mod

Started by ericduff24, March 03, 2013, 12:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericduff24

Hello everyone. I just got this saw and it after I ran it for awhile it just quit. I pulled the plug and there was a tiny ball of metal in between the electrode causing it to not be able to fire. I pulled the cylinder and I am not sure what the previous owner did, but it appears he tried to modify the transfers, and he put identical grooves going upward from the bottom of the cylinder towards the top. Not sure if it was some type of mod or if I got ripped off. I know that it is all 272 parts but the case, which is from a 61. It will take me awhile to upload a photo since I am on an iPad, but there is a groove cut out between the upper and lower transfer ports and a groove angled at about 70degrees going up the cylinder and stops at the roof of the upper window that starts at the upper corner of the bottom window. I will try to post pictures ASAP. Any ideas? It is a mahle 52zn22 w2 cylinder, no Decomp. On the exhaust port there is yet another groove in the middle of the port and it extends down the cylinder wall 1/4". The guy claims it was a Simonized saw if that helps out. It definatly was done on purpose, and when it ran it was a scary powerful saw.

AdkStihl

Simon knows his stuff. Well known builder. I'd be curious to see the cylinder pics. Sounds like he put finger ports in there from what youre describing.  I believe Simon is still porting saws. If you need to contact him for any reason/questions I might be able to point you in the right direction.

That ball of metal could be a piece of bearing?

If it really is a Simonized Saw.....I dont think you got ripped off at all.
J.Miller Photography

sawguy21

The plug might have also 'bridged' due to heat. Is there any indication of an overly lean condition?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Your cylinder has been "finger ported" :D
I'm not sure if you have 2 or 4 grooves from what you explained.
I have finger ported my timbersport saws with these since about 1982 when Sam Madsen first showed me the trick. Check your piston intake skirt it probably has a few mm ground off as well and the cylinder base has probably been milled about .020 to .025.

Finger porting with as many as 4 of them is generally not recommended for a woods ported work saw. Sounds like you have a particle of bearing or its race in your plug, could also be a particle of the plating from the cylinder bore breaking up along the edges of the finger ports.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Simon Wright is merely and planely an urban legion ."He" only posted on one site which is widely known to dramatize things in the interest of viewership .

Do a Google on "simonized saws " which will direct you to that site and read away .Pay praticular attention to one fact ,he advertises yet is not a sponser which plainly points out the so called administrater of that site was asleep at the switch. Nobody,repeat nobody even mentions an entity with things for sale unless they are listed as a sponser on that site else they get banned .

Now of course the internet being as it is and with my comment in about a day there will be a"sponser " listed on his heading .I've been down this road before . :D

Just because something is mentioned on a forum does not mean it's factual .Nobody in the Campbell River area of British Columbia every heard of this guy.--I could go on but I won't .At least not now . ;)

AdkStihl

Did you read "ALL" the pages Al?
The first 30 pages may have thrown you a bit.

Up until most recently, some guys were soliciting work and were NOT site sponsors and one in particular was one of the top posters. Its easy to advertise in your signature. PM me if you wanna know some names......although I highly doubt you can give a rats butt.

Its all good  ;)

Whaddya say we get these freaken elfs outta here and put some different smilies up top  :laugh:
J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

QuoteJust because something is mentioned on a forum does not mean it's factual .Nobody in the Campbell River area of British Columbia every heard of this guy.--I could go on but I won't .At least not now . ;)

If you read the thread you'd of read where members took a road trip and actually met SIMON.

Al, I tend to agree with you on 98% of your posts regardless of what the topic is, but this is the other 2%.
Simon is non-fictional and does build saws.
Matter of fact, he built a hell of a 460 for indiansprings.....thats what the AS "thread" was all about right?

J.Miller Photography

ericduff24

hello again everyone. you guys are amazing at figuring things out. it has indeed been finger ported , and i looked and the piston skirt has been ground off. the individual is going to send me the hard copy of the work done to this saw, he insists it was simon who modded it. surely if i get in contact with simon he keeps some type of record on what saws he worked on. the spark plug bugs me though. how will too lean of a setting bridge a spark plug?? it does seem that when adjusting this saw the sweet spot is allmost 2 full turns out on the low speed adjustment and maybe a little more than 1/2 turn out on the high. i plan on putting a carb kit in it, but could something be in the welch plug??  my husky dealer says never to mess with them, but the procedure is pretty straight forward. i will look and see, but i think the carb may be from a bigger saw or something. ii will get back to you all this evening. thanks a bunch sawguy holmentree and  adkstihl.

AdkStihl

A saw of that nature needs more fuel to operate smoothly, more that its stock counterpart. Only 1/2 turn out on the High speed seems real lean to me......real lean.
J.Miller Photography

Full Chisel

You got a Simonized Jonsered? Score!! That would be a stroke of luck. I bet it does run good. He's a nice guy too. I'd like to know about the ball of metal. Is the spark arrestor gone? Stuff can go in there directly.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Full Chisel

Hey, Eric I've got that kids phone # on speed dial if ya want to reach him in BC.

OK-272 XP I thought it said 2172. Either way, it's tough.  PM me or Adirondak Stihl. Simon isn't hard to reach.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Full Chisel on March 04, 2013, 07:38:37 PM
Hey, Eric I've got that kids phone # on speed dial if ya want to reach him in BC.
So that explains why he never heard of retired 7 time world lumberjack champion Ron Hartill who lives a short drive south of him. When I talked to him a few years ago on another site. :D

Full Chisel

I call 'em all kids. Even when they are a pro. You want Simonizer, PM me. You can pique his brain not mine. I port my own, but I wouldn't hesitate to call Him for advice in the next ten minutes if needed.

Al_Smith

Quote from: AdkStihl on March 04, 2013, 09:53:39 AM

If you read the thread you'd of read where members took a road trip and actually met SIMON.

....thats what the AS "thread" was all about right?
[/quote] No actually it's not .I was refering to one in 2011 .If you delve deeper it goes back to 2006 .

No matter I'll let the subject drop because people will believe what they want to .Nor do I really care to carry in dirty laundry from another site I'm not even affiliated with .

I will have to say this though from a photo shopped picture the guy did resemble Doogie Howser right down to the white smock .Remembering back though the guy must be super human to be able to port 4 or 5 saws a day as he once boasted .It is the internet though and perhaps all things are possible ---even Simon . ;)
I can't for the life of me though figure out why a suppossed multi millionaire would be interested in porting saws for a couple hundred a pop .

All this might be nice BS material but it doesn't do a thing to answer the OP's question of what probabley is a finger port job .Maybe Mr  Einstien Simon Wright left a chunk of residue tramp aluminum in the saw engine  that got rolled up in a little ball and blew out the transfer port and got stuck in the spark plug .Mr Tidy  would never admit it though  ;D--enough ---

jacob j.

Quote from: Full Chisel on March 04, 2013, 07:55:15 PM
I call 'em all kids. Even when they are a pro. You want Simonizer, PM me. You can pique his brain not mine. I port my own, but I wouldn't hesitate to call Him for advice in the next ten minutes if needed.

Ron Hartill is a legend and a great woodsman, but from another generation. He was on the tail end of his woods celebrity when I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's. There were some great operators in those days- Arden Cogar Sr., Roy Booth Sr., Dave Geer, Sven Johnson, Tom Bildeaux...

HolmenTree

Quote from: jacob j. on March 09, 2013, 11:07:50 PM
Ron Hartill is a legend and a great woodsman, but from another generation. He was on the tail end of his woods celebrity when I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's. There were some great operators in those days- Arden Cogar Sr., Roy Booth Sr., Dave Geer, Sven Johnson, Tom Bildeaux...
Hey good to hear from you again jacob! how's the gang over at the far side? :D
I competed with Ron Hartill on his home turf Vancouver Island when I last saw him in 1988, he was in his early 50's and still swung a fast powersaw. He was running a stock appearing Poulan 655 [Pioneer Partner P65 HP]with cutoff head, circle crank..... the works.
Being a Kiwi he had the advantage during his winning days, many chopping and sawing championships were owed to his heritage, the timbersport world learned from this heritage.
Ron was a top logger too BTW. I had many good conversations with him and other Aussie / Kiwi competitors at his home at Cowichan Lake.He now lives at dual homes in New Zealand and Vancouver Island.
The president of the arborist training company I work for visited Ron at his home in New Zealand a few years ago and he still looks big and strong on the training videos we have of him.

Al_Smith

:D More fuel for the fire .

Since one Mr. Wright no relation to Orville and Wilber made his outlandish claims and also mentioned he painted the cylinders of those 372 Husqvarnas black there have been any number of them pop up on flea bay. Some sucker falls for it hook line and sinker and buys the things for about twice what they are worth . It must be the black paint that lures them in or something .

Then low and behold they show up on a forum complaining about them ,how come ? Maybe one Simon of chainsawdom fame didn't actually do the thing .There must be an imposter lurking on the waves of cyberspace .

I don't pay much attention but I think the last time this wizard advertised for anything he gave the number of a flower shop . Sounds like a great place to conduct business to me .

Al_Smith

When the whole fable went down in '96 a bunch of us were at the very place a super saw was supposed to be shipped to at a GTG .Funny it didn't make it there for a week or two afterwards .

Oh the guy showed a shipping label all right but that can be fabricated .I asked about it several times .The story the internet got was it was a hot runner .The story I got was it was a dog .

Now if you want to believe the whole story it's fine with me .I however know a couple of people of whom I do believe fabricated the whole fable .

I personally gave this wizard a little quiz on another site concerning machining methods and he got a big fat zero on every test .Going back to the age old adage if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS .

sharkey

Leaded fuel, ie 100LL and related will sometimes ball up a spark plug like that.

HolmenTree

Quote from: sharkey on March 12, 2013, 05:30:50 PM
Leaded fuel, ie 100LL and related will sometimes ball up a spark plug like that.
Yeah that's right, av gas does have lead in it doesn't it? Thanks sharkey for refreshing my memory. It's been along time since I ran av gas in my racesaws.
It has also been over 25 yrs since we last had regular leaded gas and that's all we used in our saws at the time. As loggers that's why we changed our spark plugs regularly, because we didn't bother clean them of the lead deposits.

Thank You Sponsors!