iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar Oil

Started by Lnewman, March 12, 2013, 06:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lnewman

When cutting at a temperature around 40 degrees should you use summer or winter oil?
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

gspren

I would use summer if I had it!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Just to throw a wrench into the works,I keep a jug on the shelf in my OWB to keep it warm in the winter time.   ;D  I do have some poulin oil that I brought at walmart years ago. When other places were $8 they was selling it for 5. That stuff is some thick. I still have a few gallons left, That stuff I only use in the summer months.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ST Ranch

in the mid season- mix it half winter and half summer weight
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

bill m

You can use summer weight all year round but should not use winter weight in the summer. It is to thin and when it gets hot it will not stick to the bar very well. The only reason for winter weight is to make it easier to pour, it makes no difference in the saw.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

sweetjetskier

Once the saw warms up, the heat from running the saw will keep the oil flowing very well at temps below freezing with no problems.

If it is considerably colder than freezing out, keep the jugs of oil in the cab of the truck in a 5 gallon bucket, so if the oil jug springs a leak you don't have nasty bar oil everywhere.

Make sure the bar groove is nice and clear and you should be good to go.

Good luck

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

HolmenTree

Quote from: sweetjetskier on March 13, 2013, 09:39:16 PM
Once the saw warms up, the heat from running the saw will keep the oil flowing very well at temps below freezing with no problems.

If it is considerably colder than freezing out, keep the jugs of oil in the cab of the truck in a 5 gallon bucket, so if the oil jug springs a leak you don't have nasty bar oil everywhere.

Good luck
I guess you guys haven't run a saw in Manitoba or Minnesota winters ;)
Out here we have heavy, medium and light. With a saw sitting overnight in -25 F or colder heavy summer oil will be petrified solid in the oil pump. Fire that saw up and you could take out the oil pump drive.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sweetjetskier

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 13, 2013, 11:34:24 PM
Quote from: sweetjetskier on March 13, 2013, 09:39:16 PM

Good luck
I guess you guys haven't run a saw in Manitoba or Minnesota winters ;)
Out here we have heavy, medium and light. With a saw sitting overnight in -25 F or colder heavy summer oil will be petrified solid in the oil pump. Fire that saw up and you could take out the oil pump drive.

I can't say I have seen winter temps that low here, -25 F is an extreme thats for sure.

Do you leave your saws outside or in your vehicles at night when it's that cold?

All our equipment stays in an unheated, insulated shop, average temp is 45, so over nights or when we are not working, things are inside out of the elements, temp extremes are kept to a minimum.

I picked up a couple gallons of winter weight bar oil a few years back, still have not had a need to use it in our winters

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

HolmenTree

Myself  as a self employed  arborist operating a tree service company, I can now afford to take the coldest days off. But back in the day when I was a logger on a company payroll I had no choice but to work those coldest days.
Back then winters were much colder for longer periods of time. -35F didn't stop us, run the saws and skidders 8 hr a day, at the end of the day bore cut the saw into a tree and go home. Next day 7:30 am again -35 below, pull the saw out of the tree and 5 pulls the saw is going again.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!