iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser brand Saw chain ?

Started by g_man, March 13, 2013, 09:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I was in the logging supply section of a local hardware and saw some saw chain in a plain white box branded "Laser" or maybe "Lazer". Does anybody know what this chain is? I never saw it before.

HolmenTree

It's rebadged Oregon sawchain and depending what region you are in it may either be rebadged Oregon or Carlton....... but it's all Oregon because they now own Carlton. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

g_man

Thanks - It looked alot like Oregon LGX. Is it really the same ??

HolmenTree

Quote from: g_man on March 13, 2013, 12:07:02 PM
Thanks - It looked alot like Oregon LGX. Is it really the same ??
Yes that's the same Laser chain I have used. Yes it's the same as LGX, just different name on it.
It's been about 6 yrs since I last used the Laser chain when I bought my then new Husqvarna 372XP, at the time that was what we were getting on our Husky saws in this region.
Myself having used Oregon chain starting back in the early '70s and even had the oppurtunity to field test the very first LG [now LGX] in 1980-81, I found the Laser rebadged LGX chain seemed to hold an even better edge then what the official stuff did. Laser is definately good quality chain.
I have one question for you, take a look at your Laser chain and look closely at the side of the cutter in the area between the 2 rivets. Is there an arrow with one barb engraved in the surface between the 2 rivets?

g_man

Well, I didn't buy it because I didn't know what it was. But I will next time I am in town because the price was right. Thanks for the info on it's quality.
I have seen that little barbed arrow on Oregon LGX and also on Husqvarna chain. What does it mean ??

snowstorm

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 13, 2013, 10:43:09 AM
It's rebadged Oregon sawchain and depending what region you are in it may either be rebadged Oregon or Carlton....... but it's all Oregon because they now own Carlton. :D
i have a question for you. i run sthil harvester chain 404 80ga. i had a new chain that broke every cutter off one side the other side is still sharp. the chain was on the machine for less than an hour. have some others that have broken i or 2 rakers off

beenthere

Quotei have a question for you. i run sthil harvester chain 404 80ga. i had a new chain that broke every cutter off one side the other side is still sharp. the chain was on the machine for less than an hour. have some others that have broken i or 2 rakers off

What is the question? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1270d

Ive done that snostorm.  Well not every cutter but 75 percent of them. Its always on the bottom side.  You just hit a perfect rock or piece of metal.

HolmenTree

Quote from: g_man on March 13, 2013, 04:09:56 PM
Well, I didn't buy it because I didn't know what it was. But I will next time I am in town because the price was right. Thanks for the info on it's quality.
I have seen that little barbed arrow on Oregon LGX and also on Husqvarna chain. What does it mean ??
The little arrow is Oregon's symbol for what they trade named "Anti-Vibe". Less then 10 yrs ago Oregon engineers redsigned their chain by removing a small ammount of steel under the heel of the cutters and opposing tie strap.
What this does is the cutter is tipped back a little from the original design, making the cutters cut smoother with less vibration.
Stihl did the same and calls their trade mark "Comfort".

I just brought it up thinking you may have some of the old inventory of Laser chain, or the possibility Oregon is rebadging old non Anti-Vibe LG chain for their customers.

HolmenTree

Quote from: snowstorm on March 13, 2013, 06:15:48 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on March 13, 2013, 10:43:09 AM
i have a question for you. i run sthil harvester chain 404 80ga. i had a new chain that broke every cutter off one side the other side is still sharp. the chain was on the machine for less than an hour. have some others that have broken i or 2 rakers off
Sounds to me like your machine has a loose or bent piece of steel that is catching that side of the chain.

Thank You Sponsors!