iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Important

Started by Autocar, February 11, 2013, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Do you think these medical cards for C.D.L.'s are. I got mine again the other day and started thinking about how many cars and pickups I meet on the roads and think they could have a health issuse and cross into my lane just as easy as me going into theres. They told me that next year there going to crack down even more and yes the price will go up also because the doctors need to be certified  :o .
Bill

Ianab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9jHcFlY76M

I think it's a good idea that heavy vehicle drivers are checked. It's about probability and consequences.

More probable because they spend more time on the road. More likely to stroke out behind the wheel if you spend 10 hours a day there, as opposed to one or 2 for non-commercial drivers. And the consequences are likely to be so much greater. Drive your pickup into a school bus, you kill yourself. Do the same with a truck and trailer... ?

Ian

Edit: Driver above had some sort of viral infection, had a coughing fit and fainted at the wheel. So a medical card would make no difference in that case. Main thing is does is ensure that you do see a Doc occasionally, and get a basic check up. It's not a guarantee you wont pass out, but it improves the odds.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

Man, this is a touchy subject for sure, it would mean that all professional drivers would have to have one. I agree, whether 30,000 ft in the air or a 80,000lb truck there are many liabilites, but from what I have seen up and down our interstates is a case of allot of dumb #@$$&$ causing most of the dangerous issues, just my opinion,  I am talking percentage wise of course.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

NWP

My ticket from the DOT was $137 for not having a medical card. I paid the $75 and got mine. I can't believe some of these guys I see in the truck stop can pass the physical, but they aren't too in depth I guess.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

saltydog

Well without incriminating anyone (me) i think there a good thing.I worked as a mechanic for my father in law at one time he owned over 90 long haul trucks. The drivers i seen come in the shop were (most)walking heart attacks.Most unhealthy people ive ever known.Then again i have a valid med card and i have only one eye (in mich you need two to drive big trucks and im narcoleptic. Mind you i have been off work for almost a year because im not safe to drive anything over 5 or 10 miles.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Peter Drouin

I have my card, I think it's all about money
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tim Lea

I also have mine and I think it is good to a degree. But it is getting to a jock on the cards & some of the so called CDL drivers u see these days..

Autocar

Saltydog your have to move to Ohio I only have one eye and another logger I know has only one. Here we can drive truck in fact my friend has won a number of truck rodeos in other states over the years. I don't want this to end up in the wood shed but , I guess I'll leave it at that  ::).
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!