iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long Purlins

Started by dail_h, September 14, 2006, 12:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

I have the frame of my saw shed/shop up. 36 x 60 made from Perdue chicken house trusses,spaced 12ft. apart. Got to looking at my available logs,and they ain't too good  quality to make 2x6 purlins out of. Suppose I cut my stock 5/8ths x 6 ,cleaned them up to 1/2 in the planer ,then trimmed the bad knots ect out ,and glued three thicknesses together in 64ft long pieces. That would let me break the joints ,and better tie the building together.
   A good,workable idea,or do I need more ventilation when running the mill?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

logwalker

Sounds like a lot of work Dail. And handling them after gluing would require more than one person. Have you run the calc program on your spacing? 12' is a long span for a 2x6. I think I would try to come up with better logs myself. I put my trusses on 8' centers and spanned with 2x6 on 2' centers. We have a 25 lb snow load here. How would you clamp something that long? I know you wouldn't try to do it all at once. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

timcosby

what are perdue chicken house trusses? ???

broker farmer

It would work, but it's gonna be one heck of a lot of work!  You would have to glue them together up on the roof, otherwise I don't see any way to raise a 64 ft long laminated board.  I know you would like to use your existing logs, but there comes a time when you have to say, "These won't work".  You will be long term ahead by getting the right kind of logs and sawing something that you will have confidence in.  Is a "perdue chicken house truss" a fabricated clear span steel truss?

DanG

Dail, I woulda gone with the Starkist Tuna trusses on 8 foot centers. ;D :D  How did Mr. Perdue feel about you using the trusses out of his chicken house, anyway? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

broker farmer

DanG...................you sure you ain't been smokin' some of them collards?

beenthere

Quote from: dail_h on September 14, 2006, 12:44:15 PM
   ........... Suppose I cut my stock 5/8ths x 6 ,cleaned them up to 1/2 in the planer ,then trimmed the bad knots ect out ,and glued three thicknesses together in 64ft long pieces. That would let me break the joints ,and better tie the building together. .......

A good idea to laminate stock to gain strength by staggering the defects. Just making them 64 feet long seems a bit cumbersome unless you have several willing bodies to help carry each one to its place.

If the two faces are planed, dry (~12-15% MC), glued, and screwed with major defects removed and other defects staggered, then you should get some good quality purlins.  In short, I think it's a good idea (from where I stand  :)  ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dail_h

Yeah ,clear span metal trusses. Around here ,they're all Perdue,in other areas ,Tyson ,ect. There are 12 purlons per side,I thought to use three long ones per side to use up the lower quality logs,and tie the whole thing together.
   Use ramps , and ropes to raise.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!