iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacutherm iDry input

Started by schwanee, August 04, 2018, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

For us, being able to do multiples of 4' would be nice, i.e 8', 12', and 16'.  The higher capacities would better support our operation.  I'm interested to see how these work out for you.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

Quote from: Busysawyer on November 12, 2018, 05:32:06 PM
We are expecting deliver either Friday or Saturday.  
Etex I saw the new models and wish I knew they were coming before I ordered the standard idry. The one issue I have with the I dry is the size limitations. They have a model that will do 60inx 17' coming. That size increase opens a while lot more business for us
busysawyer, I talked to Jim yesterday, your kiln is 60" wide inside. As long as you don't fill it up with 48" plus slabs, you should be able to dry a couple at the 60" width. That will help . 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Busysawyer

Stephen, I hadn't talked to Jim about it but I figured I'd try to throw a couple wide slabs on the bottom and see what happens. If I could squeeze a couple or even one near 60in on each cycle I'd be happy.  It would be nice to have more length, recently I sold 4 48in x 18ft slabs that I'm going to have to hire out the drying. The 13ft will accommodate most of my needs though. I'm going to have to tell my loggers no more long logs. I forget to mention it and the last load they brought me about a dozen nice straight walnut logs cut just over 14ft. Friday is the day for me, shipping company anticipates late morning or early afternoon . I rented a 9k telehandler that is getting delivered Friday at 8am and picked up Monday morning to unload and move the kiln. Getting it down the hill and into the barn should be interesting.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Glenn1

Busysawyer,

I rec'd my Idry last week and moved it into our barn.  Mine has an ID of 48".  I read that you will be using a 9,000 lb. telehandler for your unit.  If your unit is 60" ID, I am wondering if the telehandler can carry the additional weight?
To be on the safe side, I used a 15,000 lb.  warehouse forklift with side shift and put down heavy duty ground protection mats to be sure that the tires did not dig in.  I realize that the telehandler's tires probably won't need the mats.  

Enjoy your unit!!
Glenn
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Busysawyer

Glenn, I spoke with Jim today. Your kiln is the same as mine. 60in inside chamber width.  Reccomend max of 48in wide lumber stack. Also the idry site has been updated with pricing for the new models. Both well out of my range at the moment. If all three models were available at the time I ordered mine I would have still ordered the same model.  Hopefully this kiln is profitable to the point I can get one of the other models at some point. Vaccutherm is doing some exciting things that's for sure.

Busysawyer

Just curious,  you guys that have taken delivery of your idry are you able to lift the kiln from the bottom with forks or just dangle it with chains from the lift points on top? Thanks 

Glenn1

I have two 6,000 lb. chains that I was going to use but I changed my mind.  The forks would have to be 8' +- to pick the unit up by the chains.  That's too high in my opinion.  Also, I found that picking it up from the bottom felt more secure.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

japarker4

iDRY has a new website that might be helpful to you guys. More added daily including specs, pricing and pictures of the new models: www.idrywood.com

Busysawyer

Well its here and in it's new home. I dangled it with chains until I got it in the barn and then forked it with the bobcat. A few pics.

Busysawyer

Just curious if any of you guys received an actual manual with your kiln besides the vague pdf they send with email. I had my certified electrician over this afternoon to hook up the main power and the pump for the boiler water and he wouldn't touch it without a wiring diagram. The main power to feed the kiln is self explanatory but neither one of us could be certain on how to hook the water pump up. Left a voicemail to there tech support guy early afternoon and no call back. You think they'd ship the thing with an actual manual and basic wiring diagram.

E-Tex

Busy.....kiln looks great in it's new home.  Congratz and best of luck! 

please keep info, pics, drying challenges and success coming.
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

scsmith42

I had the good fortune to meet Jim Parker in person this past Monday and to tour the Vacutherm facilities.  Jim is a second generation vacuum kiln manufacturer and the current iDry model is loosely based upon technology that Jim's father developed when he started Vacutherm back in the 1990's.

Most of Vacutherm's history has been in building large (and somewhat complex) vacuum kilns for commercial operations.  In the past few years Jim decided to focus on simplifying the product as much as possible and bringing out a model for the growing small sawyer and kiln operator market.  The IDry is the result.

Some notable facts about the iDry product.  First, everything inside is made from either stainless steel or aluminum.  This means that these should stay in operating condition for decades - unlike some other kiln products.

Jim's focus has been on making the vacuum drying process as simple and trouble free as possible.  Components that can break have been kept to a minimum, and the entire process (control, degree of vacuum, heating, pump, etc) have been designed to be minimal and durable as possible.  This means that you should have less operating maintenance costs and downtime over the life of the unit.  Additionally Jim has figured out how to balance the rate of drying with the actual MC% of the lumber - somewhat automating and simplifying the process.

As others in this thread have mentioned Vacutherm is bringing out some additional models next year. The main difference between models (other than size) is the method used to introduce heat into the lumber during the drying process.  The iDry model does not pull as much vacuum as other models, and so it can use stickered lumber and heat circulated by fans inside the kiln.  The more expensive models use heat plates in lieu of stickers in the lumber stacks, with a heating solution circulated through the plates.  This is much more complex and expensive approach, but the benefit is that a lower vacuum can be pulled - thus speeding up the drying process.

We had some great conversations and I came away very impressed by Jim as well as his product.  My assessment is that this is a product and a company that you can purchase from with confidence.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

nativewolf

Quote from: E-Tex on November 16, 2018, 08:59:54 PM
Busy.....kiln looks great in it's new home.  Congratz and best of luck!

please keep info, pics, drying challenges and success coming.
Ditto, not sure if I am more jealous of the newly insulated barn or the kiln.  Just to be sure I'd say I'm just darn jealous :D.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: scsmith42 on November 17, 2018, 12:16:16 PM
I had the good fortune to meet Jim Parker in person this past Monday and to tour the Vacutherm facilities.  Jim is a second generator vacuum kiln manufacturer and the current iDry model is loosely based upon technology that Jim's father developed when he started Vacutherm back in the 1990's.

Most of Vacutherm's history has been in building large (and somewhat complex) vacuum kilns for commercial operations.  In the past few years Jim decided to focus on simplifying the product as much as possible and bringing out a model for the growing small sawyer and kiln operator market.  The IDry is the result.

Some notable facts about the iDry product.  First, everything inside is made from either stainless steel or aluminum.  This means that these should stay in operating condition for decades - unlike some other kiln products.

Jim's focus has been on making the vacuum drying process as simple and trouble free as possible.  Components that can break have been kept to a minimum, and the entire process (control, degree of vacuum, heating, pump, etc) have been designed to be minimal and durable as possible.  This means that you should have less operating maintenance costs and downtime over the life of the unit.  Additionally Jim has figured out how to balance the rate of drying with the actual MC% of the lumber - somewhat automating and simplifying the process.

As others in this thread have mentioned Vacutherm is bringing out some additional models next year. The main difference between models (other than size) is the method used to introduce heat into the lumber during the drying process.  The iDry model does not pull as much vacuum as other models, and so it can use stickered lumber and heat circulated by fans inside the kiln.  The more expensive models use heat plates in lieu of stickers in the lumber stacks, with a heating solution circulated through the plates.  This is much more complex and expensive approach, but the benefit is that a lower vacuum can be pulled - thus speeding up the drying process.

We had some great conversations and I came away very impressed by Jim as well as his product.  My assessment is that this is a product and a company that you can purchase from with confidence.

Scott
Thanks for the update.  This is going to be a game changer for the slabbing world.  The most economical approach to slab drying by far.  Glad to hear the first hand account...now inquiring minds want to know did you pop on the newer longer versions or the original?
Liking Walnut

Bruno of NH

Scsmith42 
Did you visit vt ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

scsmith42

Quote from: nativewolf on November 17, 2018, 01:51:22 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on November 17, 2018, 12:16:16 PM
I had the good fortune to meet Jim Parker in person this past Monday and to tour the Vacutherm facilities.  Jim is a second generator vacuum kiln manufacturer and the current iDry model is loosely based upon technology that Jim's father developed when he started Vacutherm back in the 1990's.

Scott
Thanks for the update.  This is going to be a game changer for the slabbing world.  The most economical approach to slab drying by far.  Glad to hear the first hand account...now inquiring minds want to know did you pop on the newer longer versions or the original?
Agreed re game changing.

I'm still evaluating options.  My challenge is that we specialize in white oak - particularly quartersawing, and even with a vacuum kiln it is difficult to dry white oak quickly and consistently. Well over 50% of what we dry is WO and Jim was not optimistic about drying it from green in an iDry kiln.

If our primary drying needs were other species, I probably would not have left Jim's plant w/o signing an order.  The fact that he was so forthcoming about setting proper expectations about what his kilns could - and could not do - was even more impressive.

scsmith42

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 17, 2018, 02:15:41 PM
Scsmith42
Did you visit vt ?
Yes.  I drove up last Sunday and spent last Monday afternoon with Jim at Vacutherm in Barre, VT.  

Tuesday I was in Granville NY removing from service and loading this bad boy to bring back to NC.  I had purchased it at an Industrial Recovery Services Auction (Manchester Wood, Inc) last week, which added an interesting dynamic to what was originally planned to be a relaxing trip.

I was the first load-out from the auction and there was no way to get a forklift near the machine due to the proximity of other equipment as well as minimal door widths that were available.  We ended up jacking it up and placing it on machine skates and then rolling it through the aisles and down a ramp onto my trailer deck (through an 8' wide loading dock door).

Wednesday AM I met with FF member Jcbrotz in Binghamton, NY to pick up a Woodmizer SLR from him, and Wednesday afternoon I spent 6 hours in a parking lot changing the alternator on my F450   >:(  That was the first time that it took me more than around 30 minutes to swap out an alternator; Ford did not want to make it easy, to say the least....

After getting the truck back in service I drove south for several hours in order to beat the incoming winter storm and came on back into NC on Thursday.

The Moulder is in it's new home as of late Friday morning.  

I have a couple of days of dust collection system to rework next week, as well as the electrical service to the new machine and the previous ones that had to be relocated in the shop.  Hopefully will be making shavings before Thanksgiving.

It was a whirlwind trip, made even more so by the winter storms that chased me while I was there as well as on the way back home.  

Busysawyer

Jim and vaccutherm in general have been great to deal with. I dont know how Jim finds time to run a company and answer all my questions let alone everyone else's. I've called that guy so many times and he almost always answers or he calls back right away. I sent him an email this morning with some wiring questions and he promptly answered.  
My kiln is all hooked up and ready to work. Need to tidy up a few things but its functioning and will start drying wood tommorow .

Bruno of NH

Nice looking unit
I didn't know someone made them so close to me.
When I rode Harleys I bought them from a dealership in Barre Vt.
Wilkins great folks.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Stephen1

Busysawyer, Thanks for the pictures and updates.
 scsmith42- thanks for the updates and the visit. I wanted to know some more before i have to send money across the border. 
I am just working on the financing support.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Glenn1

Quote from: Busysawyer on November 16, 2018, 08:09:55 PM
Just curious if any of you guys received an actual manual with your kiln besides the vague pdf they send with email. I had my certified electrician over this afternoon to hook up the main power and the pump for the boiler water and he wouldn't touch it without a wiring diagram. The main power to feed the kiln is self explanatory but neither one of us could be certain on how to hook the water pump up. Left a voicemail to there tech support guy early afternoon and no call back. You think they'd ship the thing with an actual manual and basic wiring diagram.
I have to agree about needing a detailed manual.    I am not the most knowledgeable about electronics and have had an error message come up in the boot up stage.  Sent an email to Jim this evening asking for clarification.

Busysawyer

Glenn,  I'm sure Jim can get it sorted out. I don't know electronics but I do have a good grasp on electric and wiring.

Its official,  the kiln is loaded and running. So far everything seems to be operating as it should. I overloaded the kiln width wise and I'm not sure how this run is going to go. I wanted to figure out right away if I could get away with it. 90% 2 3/8 walnut slabs of various mc. Some air dried 6 months some 1 month. Delorme meter is telling me 20% up to 32%. Also threw in a few sticks of 8/4 cherry to see what happens with that. Threw in a little 5/4 walnut slabs pretty much fresh milled on top. If this kiln can make this oversized mixed load work I'll be thoroughly impressed.  Fingers crossed.

samandothers

Stephen1

Thats a great way to start! Go big

nativewolf

Personally I am surprised at all the gaps, you could have stuck some firewood kindling in there.  What a waste of space. :D :D :D

Really enjoying all the pictures.  Living vicariously.   
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!