iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Could this be the answer...

Started by DanG, July 04, 2006, 02:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

...to the wood protection problem?  www.bluwood.net

I saw a blurb in a magazine, so I clicked in and checked it out.  Details are kinda sketchy on the website, but apparently they treat with DOT, then coat the wood with something else.  Sounds like it might work.  Anybody seen any of it?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbeard

Well, at the very least, it looks fabulous.  ;D

DanG

It is lovely, ain't it? :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Looks like a promising product. I wonder.... could this also be a solution for using blue stained pine??? hmmm........

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

getoverit

I read an article a couple of months ago about this product, and from what I understand it is simply a treatment for termite-proofing indoor lumber. It is not for outdoor use where it will come in contact with the elements.

It costs about an additional $2500 per house to build with this stuff, but it is guaranteed to never have or need termite treatment, which can save you thousands over time.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodbeard

Ahh.. I see. They use DOT.
The DOT imposes so many regulations on the termites that they just give up and go somewhere else.
:D

Don P

Murf

A friend runs the R & D dept. at a big wood PT company near here, he said they experimented with all sorts of whacky ideas, none were commercially viable though.

One of the closest to making it to market was a large microwave, with a conveyor running through it, the wood was placed stick by stick on the conveyor and run through the nuculator, the microwave heats from the inside out, so the moisture at the core superheated and turned to steam, pushing the water outwards, while still hot it was then doused in preservative, the sudden cooling causing the wood to basically inhale the preservative, taking it farther into the wood then pressure would because of the existing moisture content in the wood stopping the penetration just below the surface.

The deciding factor was having to unbundle and rebundle every lift of wood for treating.

They treat whole railway cars full of wood now in a single shot.  :o

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!