iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dovetail log cabin repairs

Started by stickframer, April 21, 2018, 05:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickframer

Hello,

I bought a dovetail log cabin and a few of the logs need replaced. How do you recommend going about cutting the new pieces to replace the rotten sections. I have matching logs to use, but just want to do this the best way possible. Appreciate the help. 

Don P

There's the downside of log. Are they log on log or is there a chink joint? How are they attached together?

stickframer

It's dovetailed corners with chinking in the middle. I have replacement logs, but some not long enough to completely replace the log. If I cut out a section how do I marry the new and old log together. A couple of the dovetailed ends are rotten as well. 

Don P

If you can lift the building enough to remove and replace the dovetail corners that is the best way. If that causes too much disturbance then the dovetails that are there and that are going in need to be cut down to where they are just fingers that remove and insert sideways then tapered "keys" would come back in from the end to restore the look. You will need to go through the chink joints and support what's above during this. Remember to support below as well as above the floor, it won't support the load. Scrap forklift forks can be torched and inserted through the joints and jack supports welded to them. Be absolutely certain of jack placements, that they cannot buckle and spit the jacks out. Crib and support whenever possible, try to backup everything you do when lifting. If you are just replacing a section it sounds like a vertical lap joint would work. Take the time to figure out what you are going to do and how you will support everything, this won't be fun. If the rot isn't too deep you might want to consider removing the face and replacing it with basically a piece of "siding", a new face. Borate the remaining logs heavily.

Thank You Sponsors!