iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally cutting joints

Started by barasingha, May 12, 2018, 12:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barasingha

I have started on my first floor.  It's been a long time coming, but I am now cutting some joinery for the sill plates.

TimFromNB

Awesome! I've been waiting a long time as well...still waiting ;)!

barasingha

Scarfs are done.  Cutting joist pockets now.

barasingha

barasingha

barasingha

The small joists are on the cutting boards.

flyingparks

Beautiful! Love that foundation. Where are you?

Runningalucas

I grew up in central Texas, that's my guess, looks familiar.

To the OP, that's a beautiful foundation!!!
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

fishfighter

barasingha

Guessed correctly.  I am in central Texas.  All of the rocks for the foundation were gathered here on the property.  I am trying to build this house with all local materials (local being Texas.)  The wood is So. Pine from east Texas.  The sand is manufactured at a local quarry from dolomitic limestone.  There is no cement in the mortar, but instead, quicklime produced at Austin White Lime.  It was waterproofed with sodium bentonite from west Texas below grade, and an elastomeric at grade made up by Dallas.

While this isn't a timber frame, or log cabin, this website has been instrumental in my research for the timber parts.  So thank you all for sharing your work and knowledge.  Because this forum is such I good resource, I wanted to show my work to y'all.

What would y'all call this type of construction?  It was commonly used in the historic settlements around here, except they used cypress and post oak.

Hilltop366

barasingha

Along the banks of the creek, you can still see the trunks of cypress trees cut and milled over 100 years ago.

barasingha

The small joists, spanning 13.5', are 6x10 syp.  The big joists, spanning 21', are 6x14.

I'd like the top of all joists to be level.  The plan was to scoop the big joists down to 10" at the sill plate.  I must cut the small joists down to 9.5" at the sill plates due to inconsistent milling.  That means the big joists would also have to be cut down to 9.5" at the sill.

Scooping out 1/4 of the 14" joists would mean 10.5" at sill plate.  I was already pushing it by planning to cut them to 10".  Now I either need to shim up the small joists, or cut the big joists down to 9.5"

Can anyone walk me thru the engineering of cutting down joists?  Is verticle shear the only thing to watch out for?  Horizontal shear appears fine, requiring only 28 sqin for my loads.  And I always assumed verticle shear was nothing to worry about.  Would you shim up small joists or cut down big joists?

Jim_Rogers

rule of thumb for floor joists:

Don't violate these rules.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don P

d is at least 3/4 of h, don't remove more than 1/4 of joist depth. That is a limit in the code and NDS, so I would shim.

barasingha

Shim it is.  I will set all joists onto sill plates and shim up the floor with a 2x4 sleeper over the joists.  

10" joists are cut down to 9.5"
14" joists will be cut down to 11"

More pictures one joists are being set.

WolverineLiving

That looks like it's going to be amazing once finished!

barasingha

Thanks.  I hope I live long enough to see it finished.

barasingha

The cutting board is cleared and the small joists are in place...I have yet to wedge them permanently.

Tomorrow the big boys get put on the chop block.   Still thinking about how to place the big ones, might be too heavy to set by hand.

barasingha

barasingha

barasingha

I have finally set the big boys.

And this is how I reached the 35' necessary to set joists:

barasingha

Many years ago, while on a construction site, I saw some timber framers cutting timbers.  They were sawing with a big skill saw, flipping timber, and finishing cut on the other side.

I asked, "why dont y'all use a chainsaw?"

"Because we're carpenters, not butchers," one responded.

If there is any truth to that mans words, then consider me a butcher.

Dave Shepard

You can do a bunch of things with a chainsaw that are not critical cuts that can save a bunch of time. I want the new Milwaukee 18 volt battery saw for making the odd cut. Mafell makes a very expensive chainsaw for timber framing. I think it's $8k.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TimFromNB

Thank You Sponsors!