iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl stuff...

Started by weimedog, September 09, 2018, 03:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

066 Mag hybrid suited up for winter along with the 562XP as backup.

In third pic is a 1990's 066 refitted with 1980's non intelligent air compensation carb setup. Don't need intelli air compensating carb if you clean air filter after every work day.  :)

More tree removal going into November with -20F below NW windchill. 
Working alone removing 12 tall poplars and 2 shorter ones next to a busy street, 10 feet from the sidewalk and half block from a elementary school.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lxskllr

Took me a second. I thought, "huh... they call white birch poplar up there.". I guess they've had snow blasted into the bark? Doesn't look like fun working conditions.

HolmenTree

Quote from: lxskllr on November 07, 2018, 11:28:36 AM
Took me a second. I thought, "huh... they call white birch poplar up there.". I guess they've had snow blasted into the bark? Doesn't look like fun working conditions.
These are not  birch, our paper birch are white too but you can see their bark peel when they get older. Birch here is a much  harder wood then poplar.
These trees I'm removing here are white poplar or sometimes called  trembling aspen in other parts of North America .
The shorter more bushy trees in my first pic are black poplar or sometimes called balsam poplar.

realzed

Are those current pictures of present day Thompson weather?  
If so, I now recall what I don't miss about North of 55 in November!
Sure never had any buildings that tall when I lived there..

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Yup it takes a tough breed to live up here, wimps don"t belong here..  JK :D

:)

realzed

When I lived there I wasn't much of a wimp - at least I didn't consider myself so, as I found actually living up in the Fox Lake, Gillam, Churchill, and Shamattawa areas in January through late March in canvas tents was kind of fun back then at least, but as we returned to 'civilization' for breakups and such, and resided alongside Thompson Drive, I was regularly 'fueled' @ the Burntwood and that somewhat helped I'm sure to deaden the pain :D..
Now that I'm a smidgen older I don't at all mind being more 'wimpy' or even considered so - I've paid my cold weather dues and my priorities I guess have changed as I matured, at least as to what I consider I should have to tolerate now.. :)  

olcowhand

I hope this thread doesn't also devolve into a "Real men don't use De-comp valves" discussion like the other one.... I'm already feeling wimpy and it's only gotten down to 23F so far.
Willard,
You have mastered the Stihl Mod with that 066 Mag Hybrid........
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

HolmenTree

Thanks olcowhand, I can do more to the 066 with a 046 poly flywheel and maybe a poly sprocket cover getting it down in weight to a 65cc saw.
But I'm happy what I got now.

No we won't wander to the real man mentality here  :D
Randy like myself have spent years in remote work camps when we were young.
But it takes a tough couple to raise a family up here and get the kids through university to make something of themselves hundreds of miles down south.

There is a price to pay to work and live here to enjoy our high standard of living some of the highest in the country.

realzed

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 07, 2018, 04:49:44 PM
Yup it takes a tough breed to live up here, wimps don"t belong here..   :D

:)
According to 2018 Macleans rankings - no kidding!

Canada?s Most Dangerous Places 2018: Explore the data
Rating first or 2nd in each of the first 5 most important catagories..! 
My My, how it has changed since the '60's when the worst things were a few fistfights between tough drinking underground miners and/or a few Crowbar Inn imposed nights to 'sleep it off'.
Sounds now like keeping a well running chainsaw could be a far distant second priority to having a well oiled and loaded gun as the best thing a resident could now do there to keep busy these days.. ;D  

HolmenTree

Those stats are per capita. 14,000 people here and 99% of that crime is in the poor side of town 99% between themselves.
Go to the big city downtown core anywhere and you'll find serious real crime. Mostly domestic assaults here.

Over in my side of town I feel safe to walk my dog any time of the day or night. I don't need a gun or big stick, but with the bush we have here if needed I can grab a stick or a piece of picket fence if needed  :D

HolmenTree

Far worse gang violence etc in the  bigger centers.

realzed

Don't get me wrong - I loved Thompson as it was my second home for a while - but it is sad to see how the 'Western' trend as shown also in Sask. and Alta. is going and probably only going to worsen, with time and the demographics being what they are..
On another topic I got my Stihl email announcement about the 462CM last evening..  8) You beat them by a few days!
Hopeful, since I am presently cutting a lot of hard Maple that the better (at least I assume it would be) washable type of filter that the 462 now wears won't be too far off..
As much as my 261 flings big chips all over the place and I have piles of them ankle deep where I'm working, I do notice the fine powder caught in my present filter and I am reluctant to blow in it too hard for fear of compromising the media.
Do you - considering your long Stihl history, have a feel for how long they often take to adapt and come out with changes such as possibly any new media style filters (if ever) to the fit the 261 saw CM version.
Seems like it would or could be a much better type to sort of return to 'as new condition' by washing verses just banging or blowing it out?  
And since being 'Stihl lol Stuff' is the gist of the threat somewhat - I have to admit that I do worry about things such as sucking crap into my new saw - since I like it so much I'd like to have it remain with me long-term..  

HolmenTree

That black HD2 filter in my 261 is fine.
And speaking of fines which is primarily wood fiber or cellulose is actually a lubricant on a metal surface.

But if fines are working through a filter that's  telling you the filter has been dirty for too long.

It's funny when someone says they put grease on the filter base to better seal fines getting past.  They're just not maintaining that filter enough :laugh:

Dish soap and warm water is all you need , works better if you put the filter, soap and warm water in a Zip lock sandwich bag and shake like crazy. Rinse it off under the tap.

On my older Stihl nylon filters I put them in my empty sandwich bag from my lunch box. Fill it half full with mixed gas , seal it up and shake.
Filters come out nice and white even after 20 plus years.

realzed

I wasn't aware the present 261CM filters were 'washable' I must have missed it... thought the manual only mentioned blowing it out with air from the inside outwards after rapping it on something to loosen up larger particles..
I usually try and clean it every fuel up or two and the carb throat isn't coated - just that the filter gets pretty clogged up meaning I guess it's doing it's job decently- but just an assumption on my part that the new 462 type, obviously being the newest version might and should be a better or more durable material since these type of deals usually improve as things evolve over time.

HolmenTree

Washing the 261 filter in warm water and dish soap didn't hurt mine .

I think reason Stihl is not advertising washing them is washing to some end users is washing them in gas or solvent and then blowing them out with high pressure  air.
Like some of the older fuzzy flock filters gas or solvent can soften up the glue and then high pressure air will blow the flock off.

HolmenTree

realzed are you sure you read your 261 manual right?
This is what mine says....warm soapy water.

realzed

Nope Willard - apparently not!  Maybe I should stick more to the 'getting older' thread..
In my best 'male - manual directions aversion-thing' I do somewhat  recall reading filter info, as some looks and sounds vaguely familiar - like the blowing from inside out being logical and thinking to myself that I shouldn't go crazy with the large compressor at home considering the  high pressure - probably is where I gleaned that.
I do understand that I always have had "if a little is good - then a lot should be even better" issues - and imagine the 'Stihl special cleaner' suggestion just threw me off to the point of shutting down thinking "Stihl is just trying to sell me more of their over priced crap - just like K & N does"!
That's undoubtedly where my personal information quest veered off track and ended I'm sure ;D as I then was reminded at that moment to check both my truck and quad filter condition before Winter sets in..
Since I intend today to cut more hopefully later today to beat some snow headed our way, I'll pull it off and give it a go and see how much better using some common sense works for me!
Thanks!

HolmenTree

Randy, what did your email say about the MS462CM?
Some of the guys in eastern Canada haven't even seen them listed at their dealers yet.
Maybe they only came into western Canada for now.

realzed

realzed

If the page opens OK a subsequent click on it will also open the pricing and specifications page.. all hopefully.
I didn't realize they would be so much $$'s - but then I haven't ever priced a big saw out when in any dealerships either. 
Maybe that is sort of the acceptable CDN pricing but it just hit me as pretty steep!
The specs are pretty impressive when it comes to the horsepower/weight ratio though..

HolmenTree

Thanks Randy for sharing that.
Yep when you get into 70cc territory $1,400 plus 13%taxes is the going rate here in Canada.
The 60cc  Husqvarna 562XP is pushing $1000 retail.

You gotta make a living with a saw to make the MS462 pay or you cut alot of fuel wood and not shy digging in your wallet. 

I put my MS261CM and 066 Mag to work today and the income they made today would pay for a new MS462CM with 13% taxes included.

Beautiful working day 25 below in the morning and sun shining beautifully.
Even put on a good sweat.
I gave the firewood blocks away thanks to a quick post on the local Facebook buy and sell.
And I'm keeping on cutting and chipping limbs and tops.

realzed

I know how unpredictably dangerous Poplars can be - but those don't look all that bad - or are looks just deceiving? 
I don't mind burning poplar but it has to be well dried and that can take quite a while in our climate here. I have some that is now  3 years cut and split and it burns nice and hot but not many coals!
Friend used to drop and leave it over-Winter on the ground - just scored a couple of lines in the bark with his saw and left it sit and swore by the next Spring it was already starting to dry and didn't rot at all because the score let the cold peel open the bark draw some of the moisture out. 
He basically had tons of it and not much more on his property and always said that it was great clean wood to burn - but you do need a lot of it compared to any hardwood obviously..

HolmenTree

White poplar are heavy and these ones are bigger then they look. Tall and most are 20"-24" diameter near ground level.
In the 2nd pic the tree next to the trucks front wheel is over 24". The trucks rims are 20" diameter.
The 066 on the stump has a 28" b/c on it.
Nice splitting firewood blocks,  no knots or limbs for the first 30-40 feet.
Poplar are the poor man's birch.

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on November 08, 2018, 04:12:08 PM
I didn't realize they would be so much $$'s - but then I haven't ever priced a big saw out when in any dealerships either.
Maybe that is sort of the acceptable CDN pricing but it just hit me as pretty steep!
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 08, 2018, 09:22:48 PMYep when you get into 70cc territory $1,400 is the going rate here in Canada.
You gotta make a living with a saw to make the MS462 pay.
I put my MS261CM and 066 Mag to work today and the income they made today would pay for a new MS462CM.
I'm sitting here in my pickup waiting for the last of the kids walking to school next door to my jobsite.
Going to finish this job today then off to my Stihl dealer to get information and look into ordering a new MS 462 CM.
I don't get these high paying jobs all that often like I'm doing right now clearing for a water pipeline. But when they come up they make up for the slow times.
This pic from yesterday of the 5 trees I processed took 3 hours plus an extra hour to chip the remaining limbs, dump the chips at my dump site and park the trailer unit in my car garage.

So yeah a $1,582 with taxes"making a living saw" is a very important in a tree service operation and can be paid for in 4 hours of work, but of course I couldn't do that without my other equipment and people hauling away the cut firewood.

But it took me years to get where I am now. Haven't had a employee for over 10 years, my all in one trailer unit I built 15 years ago  with 7 ton side dump, chipper, 4x4 mini loader, stump grinder is still mechanically sound.

But I'm turning 61 soon and have no kids who need it to pass the business on to.
So I guess I'll just have to keep on going and wear out a brand new MS 462 CM :D

Thank You Sponsors!