iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loft Ladder

Started by rs1626, July 28, 2012, 12:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs1626

Any body got any good pics of loft ladders need to build ladder for a cabin Iam building?

Brian_Weekley

I was considering a vertical ladder for the loft in the shed I'm building-maybe something like this...

e aho laula

jander3

Rooster

One thing to consider is that ladders that are tipped at an angle like jander's are easier to climb since you are not having to hang on with your arms. Ladders completely vertical make it difficult to carry things up with you since you need you arms to hold you onto the ladder.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

mmhailey

I am right in  the middle of designing a ladder to access a small sleeping loft in my timber frame cabin.If you do a google search for "cabin sleeping loft ladder" or "Ships ladder" you'll find a lot of ideas. I think the problem everyone runs into, is space. While Rooster is exactly correct in a ladder being hard to use, it does take up less floor space. Here is the one I am thinking of building. In my initial sketchup it seems I can can cant the ladder a somewhere between 2-3 desgrees, if I use a 2X8. I would use wood rungs and also set them on the corresponding angle. I especially like this one because of the hand holds at the top, and having something too hold when you start down the ladder.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Weekend_Sawyer

While they are all very nice, I like Jander3's, Pappy has a very similar set in his cabin.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

jander3

If you plan to use the loft frequently, try climbing one of those vertical ladders.   There are great when you are 18.  At 50 something...not so much.   

As Rooster indicates, I can climb the ladder with no hands.  And, when I get up in the middle of the night, it is a little easier to get to the floor without bouncing.

In the final design we are using the space under the ladder for storage.

addicted

one of the coolest loft ladders I've seen.
notice the treads, they are on a straight plane while the sides wave.
Rusty

Rooster

I think we have a winner!!!

What's next on the agenda?

At this rate, we will have all of the design aspects of RS's cabin finallized by Friday! 

What a team!
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

beenthere

The last ladder pictured looks great, but I would be concerned with the alignment of the leading edges of each step. They, IMO, should be in a straight line such that coming down the "feel" of where the step should be is where it actually is (not tucked under so the toe misses it). May not be of concern, but I find a ladder with steps not equally spaced or out of alignment can be an accident waiting to happen.

The ladder shown could have the steps placed in a straight alignment, as I look at it.

(edit: and as pointed out, they could just well be straight and only the illusion that they are not)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Beenthere,

I believe that the ladder treads are mounted with the front edges in a straight line. Of course my old eyeballs may be overdue for calibration.

Herb

Stephen1

I agree it certainly seems like the treads are aligned, Great ladder.
I ended up with a drop down attic ladder for my loft, YES I bought one pre built :-X.
But it is great to fold it up during the day. Makes for way more space in the cabin
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

mmhailey

I finally got my loft ladder complete, and had time to take a pic.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

MotorSeven

This was a temp one I made out of Cedar.....took me about 4 hrs.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

wacnstac

Quote from: mmhailey on February 27, 2013, 04:44:05 PM
I finally got my loft ladder complete, and had time to take a pic.

I'd really love to know what lumber you made to use this ladder.  I want something exactly like it.  How did you cut those holes for the hands?

Ljohnsaw

I tend to over-complicate things, but how about this.  Make a ladder with a comfortable angle to climb.  At the top, make long slots in each side that will ride on a pin or dowel.  When the ladder is in-use, the pin is at the top of the slot preventing it from dropping further.  Then, you slide the foot up to the wall to store with the slot riding up the pin and holds the top from falling away from the wall when you don't need it.  Hope that makes sense.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

In the cabin I built I did not gave a  lot of room.
So on one wall that had a window that we did not want to cover up I made a chair out of a log.
Off the chair I made two loft ladders as part of the chair.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!