iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too redneck?

Started by PAmizerman, September 09, 2018, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

It was crazy hot last week. By 8am it was over 80 so I had to come up with some temporary shade until the sun got high enough over my roof.

Too redneck? :D

As the sun wwnt up so did the boom!
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

barbender

Redneck ingenuity, I would say. Otherwise known as, use what ya got👍
Too many irons in the fire

Lawg Dawg

There's no such thing as Too Redneck! :D  Nice Lull!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Crossroads

If it works, it works lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Stuart Caruk

See what you get for starting early.... Definitely not Redneck though.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

charles mann

i blew out a wheel/hub bearing in my ole' 06 dodge cummins 4x4 austin, tx bound 1 day to get an elk for a local high fence ranch in ne tx. tootling bout 65 and i heard the awful noise of metal on metal. took the first off ramp, pulled over and noticed my r front wheel was canted outward. asked a local store person if there was a dodge dealer in town, and about a mile up the feeder road he said. 
i limped up there, went to the parts counter, 10 min later and $600 poorer, i had a new hub bearing. dropped trailer so someone else could finish the run, backed in to section where scrap parts were being piled up and proceeded to yarding the front end apart. then mother nature decided to unzip the black clouds. 

soaked from head to toe, i found 1 of them plastic bed liners out of a short bed p/u truck. propped it up on the fender and kneeling in ankle deep water, i continued to pound the hub out, using the mounting bolts. 

finally got the hub out, installed the new hub and back to texarkana i went. the trip to austin, after fuel, was the cost of the bearing. 
back then, cell phone didn't take the best pic, but 1 of service techs, what i call a parts changer, took a pic of it, printed it out. labeling it "a redneck tee-pee" and put it up on their "wall of shame". i didn't feel shameful, i felt relieved. if i would have let them do it, it woulda been another $600, but i would have been back on the road in about 30 min. 

i never understood, and iv worked on book time commission before, where the auto manufacturer gets their so called maintenance allocation chart for certain tasks. at $100 an hr labor rate, with a 1 hr min, where would the other $500 have went, if the job was gonna take 30 min and factor 30 min for dragging tools out and putting them up? what was the remaining $400 to be charged to?
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

DWyatt

If too many people begin to question your "redneck-ness" replace the blue tarp with an American Flag and you will no longer be questioned ;) Also, a nice way to draw in business when people see the boom sticking in the air with a blue tarp hanging from it! :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Just don't use a Confederate Flag :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoodsdave

Several summers ago I was working on a skidder broke down in the middle of a clear cut, it was about 110 degrees, we were sweating down pretty bad, I was happy when the operator on the feller buncher went and cut us some shade and held it there like a big ol umbrella for us, redneck yes, that's using your head in my opinion.

olcowhand

I agree with Lawg Dawg; There's no such thing as "Too" Redneck, but if it doesn't work- it's probably not Redneck enough!
I went to work for a large Beef operation in Montana in 1975, and they gave me a 1966 GMC Pick up truck as a "Company Vehicle". One day on my way back to the Ag unit from another unit, the mechanical fuel pump quit. My boss came out and determined that fact by seeing that it ran when he poured gas down the carb.
He took the Windshield washer fluid bag off the inner fender, drained it, rinsed it with a little gas a couple times- then filled it with gas and ran the Washer hose into the carb.
He directed me to pump the washer button (the button was a manual pump and was located on the floor board in those days) and start it. The truck ran, and I drove it back with me stomping on that floor button (I ultimately developed a rhythm that metered the revving somewhat to the point that the truck wasn't lurching).
I often think about how innovative that solution was, by a guy who didn't graduate High School (he often said that the only worthwhile thing he got out of High School was his wife; they were sweethearts), and it ranks right up there as one of the all time "solutions" I've been exposed to.
Some good Rednecks out there in the Big Sky.......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

barbender

PAmizerman

Quote from: thecfarm on September 10, 2018, 07:36:15 AM
Where's the fan? ;D
I've got some fans I will be working into my setup at some point. I don't have power in that shed. I have to run an extension cord from my dad's building when I need power.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

Great stories guys. Are we all related?
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Sawmill Man

Sometimes you have to take the shade and breeze with you.

"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Crusarius

Quote from: olcowhand on September 12, 2018, 05:43:32 PM
I agree with Lawg Dawg; There's no such thing as "Too" Redneck, but if it doesn't work- it's probably not Redneck enough!
I went to work for a large Beef operation in Montana in 1975, and they gave me a 1966 GMC Pick up truck as a "Company Vehicle". One day on my way back to the Ag unit from another unit, the mechanical fuel pump quit. My boss came out and determined that fact by seeing that it ran when he poured gas down the carb.
He took the Windshield washer fluid bag off the inner fender, drained it, rinsed it with a little gas a couple times- then filled it with gas and ran the Washer hose into the carb.
He directed me to pump the washer button (the button was a manual pump and was located on the floor board in those days) and start it. The truck ran, and I drove it back with me stomping on that floor button (I ultimately developed a rhythm that metered the revving somewhat to the point that the truck wasn't lurching).
I often think about how innovative that solution was, by a guy who didn't graduate High School (he often said that the only worthwhile thing he got out of High School was his wife; they were sweethearts), and it ranks right up there as one of the all time "solutions" I've been exposed to.
Some good Rednecks out there in the Big Sky.......
I did something very similar with a land rover D90. except we used a dasani water bottle and had the passenger squeeze it to go. was able to hold 40 mph as long as the squeeze guys arm held up :)

crazy what you can figure out when you need to.

goose63

Quote from: WDH on September 10, 2018, 08:19:54 AM
Just don't use a Confederate Flag :).
Why not ? I would  :)  :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Dana Stanley

Here in the North East we call it Yankee ingenuity! 
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

barbender

"...for from one blood he has created all the nations of the earth." I don't know if I got it quite right😊

lynde37avery

i use an umbrella while working in one spot for shade sometimes. i like it. gotta go full redneck sometimes to get the job done.
Detroit WHAT?

DPatton

I grew up on a small family farm. If you can't fix it, repair it, or keep it running with wire and pliers, duct tape, or a welder then you ain't red neck enuf.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!