iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Saw Shed begins

Started by hunt22j, January 26, 2014, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunt22j

The work begins on the saw shed! Ultimately this is not the exact location for my mill in relation to the building, but right now it is set up and I'll continue to use it to saw what I need to frame up everything. The challenge will be working around it but it shouldn't be that bad.

What started out as a simple 10x20' shed roof to basically cover the mill has now morphed to a 40'x40' wood sawing/ storage/ farm barn. What can I say, I scored a nice pile of used utility poles for cheap (as in free).   

What I am thinking is boxing in the middle 20x40,  primarily for finished wood storage and other farm necessities. The left side (which is what you see here) will house a few racks to hold dry wood for my own personal use. The right side will have doors on both ends enabling access to both ends (it will also give me a place to park my cargo trailer when not on the job site.

Off of each side of this will be a 10' open shed. One side will be for air drying lumber, tractor storage, etc etc, while the other side will be for my mill. Where my mill will be set up, I'm going to have a 20' header for loading the logs. I've thought about making it bigger/longer, but with my little manual mill I can't imagine cutting anything longer than 16'.

I'll add more pics as it starts to take shape further
WM Lt10, 36" Grandberg CS mill powered by a Husky 281 chain saw, Ford 5000 farm tractor with front end loader, 6' x 10' site built solar kiln

Magicman

Looking good.  I will be interested in watching your progress.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I just finished a similar shed using utility poles.  I am planning to enclose the middle section to make a dedicated planer room (Blame Yellowhammer  :)).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Hunt22j.

Looks like a real solid start to your sawshed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MotorSeven

Having a roof over your mill will be really nice....keep the pic's coming
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

hunt22j

WDH- yeah, that Yellowhammer- he's a bad influence. I blame him for my little saw shed growing into what its going to be. All kidding aside, his setup is really nice and has contributed to my a lot of my vision of what I'm building. Only on a much smaller scale.
WM Lt10, 36" Grandberg CS mill powered by a Husky 281 chain saw, Ford 5000 farm tractor with front end loader, 6' x 10' site built solar kiln

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

Nice sheds!

I'm jealous of the bare ground though.  We just got another foot of snow over the week-end.   ::)

JamieT

Lookin good! Make sure you dont enclose the mill  :D. Good to see another bama guy on here! WAR EAGLE!! ;)
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Ohio_Bill

Nice looking sheds WDH  and hunt22j  looks like your off to a good start .  Will be great to watch your progress .  I can say that whatever you build it will fill up . I have added on to mine 3 times . 

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

WDH

Whatever you do, don't go visit Yellowhammer, or you will be ripe with building projects when you get back  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!