iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fence Post Installation Without Concrete

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 28, 2016, 10:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I am assuming that it is expandable foam??  I would think that it also would prevent moisture from migrating into the surrounding soil and rot the post.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blackfoot griz

Who says they can't teach us old dogs and goats new tricks!!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MikeON

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 29, 2016, 07:01:23 AM
I bet it's not cheap.
According to their website, it works out to $5.60 per post in the 20 gallon kit.  I'd like to know how well it supports a post that holds a swinging gate.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

sandhills

Ljohnsaw

The video wouldn't load on my machine but I'm guessing it is expanding foam?  My daughter's boyfriend is working for a guy on a 30 or 40 acre parcel putting up wire fencing, 7' tall.  There is no well there (so no large quantities of water available) to mix concrete.  The lay of the land makes bringing in a truck not an option.  The landowner did his research an decided to go the foam route.  Dirt is fine powder with large cobble occasionally.  They set the posts down about 3' with this foam.  I saw it - not the most rigid.  As soon as they started pulling fence wire, it started to give them problems.  It would fracture even though they installed cross bracing at the corners and about every 150-200'.

If it were me, I'd have done T posts.  Would have taken 1/10 the time to install and would outlast the posts he is putting in.  Probably would have been cheaper as well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gfadvm

I have built miles of 2 7/8" pipe fence tamping dry redi-mix into the holes. Moisture in the ground will cause it to set up within 48 hours. May not be the case in the desert! But works well in NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: gfadvm on March 29, 2016, 08:26:17 PM
I have built miles of 2 7/8" pipe fence tamping dry redi-mix into the holes. Moisture in the ground will cause it to set up within 48 hours. May not be the case in the desert! But works well in NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas.
thats how i do it to and works good thats the way we set post for pole barns and sheds :) its a nightmare setting post with wet concrete well it just takes to long and lots of bracing  ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Kbeitz

I just watched my neighbor build a stone wall just useing that foam and rocks.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cedarman

In spring when ground is soft is a great time to push posts into the ground.  Wet ground especially clay behaves like plastic and flows as the post is pushed into the ground.  My brother and I set 110 posts in 2 hours using a JD highlift and pushed the posts into the ground.  Sometimes when a rock was encountered a little pounded help persuade the post to move the rock.
For pole barns, I always used pea gravel or #7 limestone rock.  Packs tight and stays tight.  Works well for yard fence posts too. 
When using a post hole digger, we just tamped the ground.
For corner and end posts subject to lots of pull, we dug a hole about 1 1/2' wide, 3' long and about 4 feet deep. A railroad tie or an 8x8x9' cedar post was used.  White oak boards were nailed about 6" from bottom and stuck out about 12" from each side.  Post was place in hole, dirt tamped to top of boards, flat rock placed on top of boards, hole filled in and tamped.  With good brace posts, those posts would withstand stretching woven wire fence and never try to come out of the ground.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Holmes

Didn't they have adds like this out 30 plus years ago when expanding foam was in its infancy?  It did not work well back the , flexing of the post loosened up the foam because it was not rigid enough.  Now they say the foam cracks? Too rigid then
Think like a farmer.

RCBS

The foam is now used here on utility poles.  I have some limited experience using it and it seemed to work well in the application. Judging the correct amount for the hole was the biggest challenge.  Was setting some poles in basically shale soil, which doesn't tamp well.  I was impressed with the foams performance.
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

Thank You Sponsors!