iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goat wranglers needed

Started by Kindlinmaker, August 03, 2018, 07:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindlinmaker

Seems 100 or so goats escaped from "We Rent Goats" in Boise earlier today and managed to munch their way through what looks like a rather affluent subdivision before being corralled. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that landscaping bill. Some Locals referred to it as a "stampede" which should add a few more bucks to the claims. Guessing the claimants won't be accepting SGUs for payment. Suppose to be a video on the net somewhere. 

Who rents goats anyway?
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

WV Sawmiller

I saw a special years ago where a contractor had a bunch of rental goats and contracted with the state road department (I think this was in California) to clear the brush around steep overpasses and underpasses,wet areas, and such where it was nearly impossible for a person to stand or reach with equipment. They were very environmentally friendly and concerned and did not want to use herbicides. He had a big box truck with a narrow ramp he would drop down at the site and the goats would rush out and go to work. Critical to his operation were 2-3 very well trained  herding dogs like Australian shepherd or border collies or similar breeds who kept the goats in a tightly confined area so they did not get into the road or restricted areas. The goatherd would watch and whistle/signal the dogs to keep them in the area desired. Goats are browsers and prefer briers or wild (Okay - tame are good too) roses, brush etc. over grass.

Didn't see this report but come on - it's Boise. Who there would get concerned and how much damage a bunch of goats could do that the deer, elk or moose had not already done. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Out here there are a couple of outfits that I see in the spring and early summer as the grass starts to die.  They set up temporary hot wire fencing where needed and let a huge number of goats out to go to work.  I see them mostly in wetlands - areas set up as drainage to housing and business tracts.  So they are probably restricted on using herbicides.  And mowing several times during the season can get expensive.  These goat take it down to almost bare ground so the grass takes a long time to come back.  I usually only see them being used in each area once a season.  However it does get a bit of fertilizer for the next year's growth. ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

Rental goats are a new growth industry that can provide wealth beyond your wildest dreams. NW Arkansas is on the leading edge (as always) of this trend.

We already have Greedy Goats of NWA and J&B Hog-Goat Farms are popping up faster than dandelions all across the landscape. Invest now and don't miss out on this trend. Its gonna be big.

Let that SC goat eat his heart out for missing out on this one.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

One of my neighbors had goats come to clear an area. Someone brought them in a horse trailer each day for a few days. They had a fence set up. I didn't get to see the before and after.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kindlinmaker

Found the videos. Hilarious.  They loved someone's rose bushes and seemed partial to some saplings that still had nursery tags on them. Saw an interview with the business owner. The goats were clearing a retention basin but found a way out of the temporary fencing overnight. Can't imagine a bunch of those 4 legged Houdini's actually escaping from a temporary pen....
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Larry

Check out facebook.

*Lawnmowers for Bushes* ~Party Goat Rentals ~Order some "Goat Time"...

Party goats is where the really big money is at. 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beav

The local power company (psnh, now eversource) used to trim sensitive areas under the power lines with goats.  Dunno if they still do

btulloh

Quote from: Larry on August 04, 2018, 08:54:49 AMParty goats is where the really big money is at

Roger that.  The number one party goat lives in South Carolina and I hear tell he's rolling in dough.  And purple drank.
HM126

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

At Quantico USMC base, and likely others, they used sheep around the ammo storage bunkers where they did not want to be running mowing type equipment.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!