iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch Woes

Started by KyLogger, August 13, 2012, 10:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyLogger

The winch on my Deere 450E was leaking (so I thought) out of the bottom left side (if you are standing behind tractor) I got down and noticed a threaded hole with nothing in it. The winch would only leak there if PTO was engaged. There is a drain plug located on opposite side of winch, in the middle of a rectangular plate. Anyhow I figured that I was missing a plug, picked one up put it in, than pulled a dumb A$$ moment, and overfilled the winch. Pulled out half a load then winch would not hold a drag. Figured out case was overfull, and drained to appropriate level, still will not hold a drag. Whats next guys?

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

stamper

clutch & brake may be on that side, if it is like a skidder there is a hydraulic line in there to run the clutch
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

Autocar

By over filling would it been possible the brake bands got oil on them and now they slip  ??? ?
Bill

snowstorm

shouldnt be any oil on the left side. pull the cover off an take a look

KyLogger

Ok, got it figured out. Pulled side cover, oil coating everything. Took out my unnecessary drain plug in bottom. Had workhand fire up dozer and kick winch control into free spool. BINGO! Master cylinder seal.......GONE. Called up dealer in Pikeville (they specialize in forestry equipment) Said I had to purchase whole cylinder at a cost of $300!!! BULL, called our semi-local ag dealer and he said "What? I don't even show the whole thing as a part! I can get you any of the parts you need for the master cylinder."  So a new o ring, and snap ring and I am good to go as of eight tomorrow morning (hopefully)

Anyhow the brake band was soaked in oil. I cleaned it off with brake cleaner, fired up the wood stove, stuck it on top, and cooked the oil outta it for a while, let it cool and cleaned it once more with brake cleaner. I hope that did it. I am gonna put her all back together in the AM and hope to get a load out in the evening. It's times like this I wish my skidder wasn't on another job site!

Thanks,
Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

mad murdock

sounds like you got it all figgured out!  Nice to know you can get sub assembly parts for your winch.  That is usually the case, just that some parts houses would rather sell you the whole lit and caboodle rather than just the "kit".  Hope it pulls good for you..
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

KyLogger

Well after torching the brake band once more and installing the $12 worth of parts I put it all back together and dusted it all with baby powder. Same as before! I adjusted and adjusted and adjusted the jam nuts and got it to hold a little but nowhere near good enough. Drove over to WV today to talk to a JD forestry expert. Of course he was outta the shop having some kidney stone removal done (OUCH!) Anyway his hired hand said that the band was probably shot, and showed me what I already knew about adjusting. $350 for a new band plus my core (valued at $200) of course I didn't have the band with me so I went back to the landing and messed with it a little more. Same old same old. Pulled master cylinder assembly and band out and leaving for WV again in the AM. Hope I get this thing figured out, load count is suffering terribly and I just can't afford to have much shut down time. I have to take off three days next week for the Kentucky Master Logger certification.  smiley_thumbsdown Any insight would be greatly appreciated as to the proper adjustment of the new band etc......

Thanks,

Tom

stamper

are the  springs good?  my winch quit holding [540b]  the band is thin, probably 1/16 in the thinnest spot. The one spring "looked" funny on the end  replaced both....problem went away
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

KyLogger

While monkeying with the tension on the assembly with it out of machine I noticed that the yoke that holds the springs on the end of the threaded rod was sitting a little crooked, looks like one spring was a little longer than the other? I am taking it to somebody considerably more learn-ed than I in the morning and am gonna have him evaluate all the components. So it could be a combination of things. I mean come on the thing is only twenty some odd years old right? LOL

Tom

thecfarm

Down time is money. Probaly too late now,you are on your way over now,but take pictures of what you have on the skidder too. Yes,it may cost the hourly rate to look at pictures,but this way you will know what is going on and be able to get the wood out again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KyLogger

Finally!! Got it. After another trip to West Virginia this morning and two new, used springs, (free of charge) and a new brake band (half of JD price!) another can of ether some paper towels and some adjusting and cursing I got the winch up and going again. Got one load pulled out this evening at first it didn't want to hold but I slipped it some and burnt it in (like the guy said) and it seemed to do pretty good! I really need to go get my skidder and bring it back to this job!! I hate skidding with the dozer, but I am building a road through blowdown to the gap at the top of the cliffs so I can get underneath to the good timber and it really is the tool for the job.

Now were loggin!

Tom

beenthere

That's great news. After all that frustration, you deserve a few many good pulls.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Now to make some money with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!