iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't laugh at me, but what is ...?

Started by Frickman, February 08, 2006, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Don't laugh at me everyone, but maybe I spend too much time in the woods. What is a "Starbucks"? I read about this thing in the newspaper, usually on the editorial page where some opiner compares it to something they're writing about. I just want to know so I'm not "out of the loop."
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Paul_H

The only Starbuck I have heard of is the chain of Coffee houses.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

brdmkr

Starbucks is a ritzy coffee company.  To be honest, I like their coffee, but I don't like the 'trendy' marketing.  They are a huge company with coffee houses all over the world.  Their coffee is a good bit more expensive than most.  Is it worth the price?  Don't know.  Hope this helps.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

JimBuis

Starbucks:  American gourmet coffee shop that started out small and is now a worldwide phenomenon.  They don't really have much to sell.  If you don't care much for coffee, they sell hot chocolate.  Other than that, they don't really sell anything else except maybe donuts or orange juice.  Nonetheless, somebody likes their coffee as they are selling a lot of it and at premium prices.  It is a VERY popular place here in Tokyo I can guarantee you that.
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Frickman

That's probably what they're talking about, thanks guys. The only "coffee houses" that I'm familiar with are the mom and pop coffee shops in town. I don't drink coffee, and never did, so that must be how it slipped past me. Living in the country and rarely going to the big city probably doesn't help either.

If their product isn't the greatest, and is "premium priced", how do they stay in business? Is it the marketing? The only coffee marketing I've seen Folgers and Maxwell House.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

J_T

Jim Holloway

Bill

Frickman ( a little yarn mixed with a little info )

I don't quite understand it. The Starbucks outfit is pretty popular this part of the state. People have a hankerin for high dollar coffee with strangers away from home.

I tried one once some years back to see what the fuss was. I walked in and looked up to see  "menus" of coffee(s) on all the walls. Figuring I'd try to bluff my way thru this I strolled up to the counter and asked for a regular - heavy on the milk and light on the sugar. You'd have thunk I was speaking greek. The poor person trying to serve me ( I can't even remember whether they were male or female as the mind blocks out painful experiences ) asked me to be more specific - did I want expresso , latte, %&^T(*, - I had no idea what they were asking ! I repeated my request - however now there were people behind me and the patrons already served were starting to take note of the hold up at the counter. Young ladies giggling and dapper men frowning. What to do ? The world was closing in .

I had a panic attack - "just give me some black coffee - anything". Wouldn't you know it cost two days lunch money for that experience. The people inside just shrugged as I limped away. The moral of the story is that Starbucks serves high end coffee in "coffee boutiques" for people that truly want the ultimate coffee experience. Kinda like buying sparkling water instead of drinking what comes from the tap - different strokes for different folks .

I hear they make alot of money so they must reach someone and maybe some like it once and awhile for a "treat".

Epilogue - that was the one and only trip I ever made to Starbucks - not my cup of tea.

J_T

Hey Bill you don't want to try Moon Bean's either then  :o :D
Jim Holloway

etat

Oh for the days when you could go to Lil Abners truck stop and get you some ham and eggs or steak and eggs and spend a whole TEN CENTS on a cup of coffee and sit there and drink coffee near about all night if you wanted to and refills were FREE.    ::)

I've never had Starbucks or what was that other place, Moon Beans? but I bet they couldn't hold a candle to that coffee at that truckstop that was made  in them big ole Bunn coffee pots.  Heck, if you got to keeping the wattresses tooo busy refilling yer cup they'd just bring a whole fresh pot and leave at your table so you could refill your own. 

Of course, we always did keep the wattress happy by leaving em a nice tip when we'd 'finally' get ready to leave.  I've sat there many a night after everything else closed up (specifically the bars back in the day which was a loooooooong time ago) until daylight.    :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

ScottAR

Never been to a starbucks as I don't drink coffee but maybe once a winter...
The next town has a "Joe Mugg" coffee thingy. Never been there either...

The Comedian Lewis Black claims to have found the end of the universe in Texas...  He was walking down a street in Houston I think and he found a Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks...   ::) :D :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

asy

Here's their website

they're a franchise, high priced, too many varieties to be sane, coffee place.

Must admit to never having been into one. (and yes, they are here too).

They do stock Tazo Tea, which is THE BEST herbal tea you will ever taste, I love their Orange one.

It's VERY hard to get here :( near to impossible, last time I went looking I came up blank :(

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

iain

asy

hehe, yeah, I found that just before, have already got an answer from the vendor about how much postage is for 5 boxes to the land of Oz...

Just about to buy them...

Then I'll be a HAPPY GIRL!

Weekend_Sawyer

If you ever wached the Fraser TV show. His brother Niles would walk into their favorite Coffee shop and order a "Half Caf, half no caf, late, with whip and verry little nutmeg.  If you ever saw that then you would know what it was like inside a starbucks.

I must admit their regular coffee is pretty good, but I feel like slapping people around when I walk in there ;)

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ARKANSAWYER

It's a Yuppie thing.  You make strong coffee and add all kinds of stuff with code words so you can stand to drink a $3.00 cup of joe.   Makes them feel special and in the loop.   Drank one cup one time and have had better in the mess hall.   I would bet real men do not spend much time in there and for the price of 2 cups I can make 30 pots in deer camp.
  But it is a good lession in marketing.  It is hard to sell bug infested half rotten moldy pine boards.  But, buckshot demin pine boards sell twice the price of plain pine.  Keep your truck clean, mill in good shape and the place neat around the saw shed and people will like you better.  Get a catchy name and pretty business cards and folks will keep them longer.  Selling lumber to cheap is worst then selling it too high.  But most of all make them feel like you did them a favor by selling them some wood.   They are special.  These are things to learn from a coffee house that sells a cup of joe to people with flair and not much else.
ARKANSAWYER

TexasTimbers

Frickman,

We live in a rural area and we don't go into the BIG big city (Dallas) very often. By city folk standards we are country. But I just read your post out loud to my wife and she said in that sweet voice of hers ... "Ohhhhhhh I want to move out into the country like that...."  :D I said "honey we already live in the country."
I guess the country is always more country on the other side of the pasture.
You have a life that city folks who are trapped in their ratrace-routines will only ever dream of. So do we thank the Lord.  8) God bless a man who doesn't even know what "a starbucks" is.   ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

asy

Quote from: kevjay on February 09, 2006, 09:31:43 AM
I guess the country is always more country on the other side of the pasture.

that sounds a lot like the comment that: "Old is always 15 years older than I am"...

woodbeard

Hmm... so if us liberals don't like Starbucks, and y'all conservatives don't either, who the heck is buying all these 3 dollar cups of coffee? Maybe this country is more moderate than we think.  :D

In my world there only two Starbucks- Richard Hatch, and Katee Sackhoff, who, respectively, played/play the character of that name on the original and the new "Battlestar Galactica" TV series.  ;D

thecfarm

People love bing ripped off.They love paying more for something because it's an outrageous price,so they think it has to be something special or it has to be worth it because of the price.Just like Arkansawyer said, selling lumber too cheap or anything, is worst than selling it too high.The public will think there is something a matter with your product.Location is also very imporant.People hate going out of their way for anything.Than everyone wonders why walmart does so well.One stop shopping.We have a small greenhouse buisness and we know how this works,We are 2 miles off from a state highway and some people hate to come to us.We did a Farmer's Market last year.We ran out of string beans,had 35 lbs,and we told quite a few people where we was located,15 minutes away and they thought that was too far to go,but they HAD to have some. You lose.It's too bad that some people are too busy to enjoy life.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Onthesauk

Let's not get too self righteous about how tough we are living way back in the woods.  We're all sitting here at our computers, communicating in seconds, with folks all over the world.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Onthesauk on February 09, 2006, 11:31:34 AM
....communicating in seconds, with folks all over the world.
It's still nearly unbelieveable to me, that we can do this. And man anytime you need an answer you can almost always find it. Thanks, Al Gore :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Weekend_Sawyer

Yea but we are not drinkin a half caf, half decaf, late with wip and just a little nutmeg...

... are we...

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

We have Tim Hortans coffee houses all over the place now. In Carleton and Victoria Counties there never was a one until they started construction of the new 4 lane. There are people that will go 10 miles (or more) from home to eat breakfast every day and to go to a Tim's. I know this because the ditches are full of Tim Hortan's coffee cups, I live on a dead end road and the nearest Tim's is 12 miles from here.  When my folks had their home built there must have been an assigned coffee carrier to supply the crew, there was a mountain of coffee cups all over the yard that had to be cleaned up. The building contractor said that was the worst summer he had. I speculated that there was too much runnin for coffee and not enough attention to work. He was trying to do 5 jobs and too many places to run to supervise. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Frick
To answer your question,"Starbucks is a ............what?"

I am not too sure, but I think it is one of them there, halfaway houses, for city folk who can find thier wayto where they are suppossed to be......I know because Kirk Allen owns them, as best I can tell.......he never passes one up one the way somewhere.....and always re invests in it while there ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ironwood

Frickman,

If you envision the EXACT OPPOSITE of "PEACHINS" in Dunbar for your coffee then you have it. Fancy Smancy ( I own them just like KIRK, I keep reinvesting).

For those who don't know PEACHINS you can get a 23 cent cheese burger and a 55 cent fry, and I think the drinks were 50 cent. CHEAPER than CHEAP.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

I never seen burgers and fries that cheap, even in the 70's. They wanted at least $3.50 for a combo just to look at ya. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

Starbucks coffee sucks.  It's burnt-tasting, bitter, weak and overpriced.  And if you buy the beans in the store and brew it yourself, it STILL sucks - bitter nonetheless.  Those people in Seattle must have no taste buds at all.

That and Dunkin Dog Nutz coffee is the ones I stay FAR away from.   :-X :(

Give me an organic Mexican, Kenya AA or Costa Rica whole bean, Fair Trade coffee every morning and I'm a happy guy.   8)

beenthere

Engineer
Some folks just like different things. They be happy, and ain't that okay?
I don't drink 'any' coffee, but that is just me. I won't describe what ANY coffee tastes like 'to me'.  ;D
This ain't the place, and da boss don't care for such 'negative' comments, I don't believe  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Max sawdust

Ya,
Never did get starbucks and all the greek or latin "latta" "granda"  >:(  Guess that make you feel better about ordering a "large coffee with milk" :D

Get some of that Costarican stuff Terra from the long post on this forum YMMM good. 8)

I do not care for starbucks it is bitter.  I am glad that an American company is making money though  :) This is good.

I like that fancy coffee makes mom and pop shops some money.  Keeps the countries that produce coffee making products not related to pot and coke which is good also :o

I would have to drive an hour or two to get to a starbucks so............. I guess I just don't like the idea of 4x4 SUV's gold plated toilets and other ways to burn excess money cause you are working too much and not spending enough time on important things in life like family and your own well being  ;)
Not saying 4x4's are not needed by people trailering, driving off road or in snowy climate, but down town big city usa ???
All about keepen up with the Jone's ya........
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Kirk_Allen

What is Starbucks?  It may be one of the best small business success stories in the last 20 years. 

Its interesting to hear all the different views.  My son worked for them for about 2 years.  Did you know they are one of the few, if not the only, business that has health care for their PART TIME employees?  Matching education fund program?  They take care of there employees.

High dollar coffee?  Sure they have the $3 dollar Venti Caramell Mochiato or the Venti Mocho etc but they also have a normall cup of coffee at the same price as the local coffee shops and refills are free.

I drive all over the country and nothing is a better pick me up than a Venti (LARGE) Cafe Americano with an extra shot 8) 8)   What is it?  HOT WATER, 5 shots of espresso 8) 8)  Carries my MILES down the road. 

Some of their coffee sucks and others are great.  They do have quite a selection and now have wireless internet in most stores and the number of folks online with laptops is amazing. 

Is it a trend?  I think not.  It is probably one of the best investments going.  20% growth last quarter 8) 8) 

Buzz-sawyer

Told ya he owned that place................
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

ScottAR

Their not the only place with part timer insurance...  I've worked for two others...  Lowe's and now Oreilly's. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

I can't say I love coffee, but I do drink it. Sometimes I'll go for days without one. I can say that Costa Rican coffee is better than Maxwell House to my pallot, but it's still......coffee. Tim Hortans is very successful here, been in some parts in Canada a slong as McDonald's :D If it can draw someone every day from 12 miles or more, they must have something going. :D I think I've seen a Starbucks in the Capter's Book Store in the city. Only place I've seen one. In little towns of Woodstock and Grand Falls (10,000 people) they have 3 Tim Hortans each and other towns with 1500 to 2000 people have them or are attracting them. They even have them in Maine now, but I don't think they are as popular as in NB.

Enjoy your cafein fix :D ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Well that settles it!   If Kirk thinks that thems are so good I will see if I can get a franchise of Starbucks to put on my new land with the new mill.  That way my hands will be happy and lots of folks coming to get coffee will want some Venti Buckshot Demin Southern Americano Pine for $3.00 bdft.  Besides Kirk will stop by and I can get him to work for a spell to keep him going for a few more miles. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Kirk_Allen

STARBUCKS IN BRUNO, AR  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Might just have to stop for a sip in March on my way to or from Dallas  8) 8) 8)

Max sawdust

Arkansawyer,
:D :D :D :D
That cracks me up Venti buckshot Demin SOuthern Americano Pine :D :D :D :D $3.00 bdft :D :D :D

I got some Verda Northern Red oak "fresh" out of the grinder ah..I mean fresh of the mill. :o
Max
We got to get the vacuum kiln guys involved here, you know coffee or wood vacuum packed is better. :D :D
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

beenthere

:D :D
Yu guys 'smokin' sumpin ::) ???  or is that where the mill trimmins are goin - into a 'rolled, tight cigar-shaped thingy  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I'll send ya some green sap stained errr spalted, borer pecked pecky white pine off the slab stickered pile. :D :D

Max sawdust

Good point SD,
Guess it is human nature to use "pretty" or exotic words to make things sound more appealing.  Does not matter if it is wood, coffee or toasters :D
Max
True Timbers

Engineer

Yah, you can spray paint crap and it is still manure.   :D

ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

asy

And you could sell it on Ebay for a fortune...

Kirk_Allen

Not being one to FLUSH a dollar down the drain does that mean I have to start saving THAT to ??? :o ;D :D

wiam

Kirk strikes gold #2  :D :D :D :D :D

Will

Max sawdust

Kirk,
:D :D
What the heck, if it makes good money :D :D :D :D
I am going to need to get more than $3.00 bdft ::) ::)
True Timbers

SwampDonkey

It's like good wine, ya gotta figure in the aging process. :D ;D

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D wiam, that is too funny. We all know how he operates, he'll probably make it work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

IMERC

over priced mediocer coffee and the most exspensive any thing else...

A cult..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Kirk_Allen

IMERC

So if Starbucks is a cult who is the leader and what belief are they promoting?  ??? 

Buzz-sawyer

I was thinkin...maybe you are the leader...and the hidden agenda is ultimate caffienation, and conversion to ARABICA.....of the poor ROBUSTO lovin masses ??? ??? :o :o :o
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kirk_Allen

IMERC

Quote from: Kirk Allen on February 13, 2006, 09:10:20 AM
IMERC

So if Starbucks is a cult who is the leader and what belief are they promoting?  ??? 

YUPPIES or whatever is PC nowadays...
No clue on the promoting

getoverit

I drink coffee all day every day, and really enjoy the stuff. I've even been to South America where the stuff grows, and picked my own coffee beans. I like it hot, cold, cool, warm, iced or just about any way you can think of as long as it is black with nothing else in it.

I think I have bought maybe 5 cups of starbucks coffee in my lifetime, and havent made it to the bottom of a cup yet without pouring it out. It is ok when you cant get anything better to drink and need caffine, but there are limits to what I will do to my taste buds.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

isassi

Couldn't keep quiet after the last few... :D...This is another defining moment for some of us. I guess I'm very dull, but I drink Folgers, every morning. When I was trucking, all across this great country, I do not remember any one place having coffee that would make me oooh and ahhh over. Now don't get me wrong, lots of coffee was burnt, stale, nasty, could be used to dispose of dead animals and tires, but generally, coffee is coffee to me. Guess it proves I have no taste or no culture, like the opposite of the guys who drink Scotch  ;D or eat caviar....

Oh yeah, I have never had Starbucks coffee or caviar ... :o

Modat22

I walked around for a long time thinking that BattleStar Galactica the original series was becoming popular again. Starbuck was the name of one of the  main characters.
remember man that thy are dust.

Paul_H

I love coffee and my favorite kind is the first and second cup in the morning but I'll drink it lukewarm or cold or even yesterdays leftovers if I have to,and like Getoverit,always black and strong.I do have very strict rules when buying coffee,it must be on sale.

I sometimes make up a special blend to drink,the other day I took the last scoop and a half of Folgers from the can and mixed it in with the freshly opened Nabob(on sale)   :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

The little pouches of Costa Rican coffee where $2.99 around Christmas. I see they jumped to $3.99 in the new year, that curbed my craving. I'll be using the  1 KG for 4.99 (sale) Maxwell House for awhile. :D

Steve

My wife and I also like our coffee. I  haven't bought it out of a can for years and years. Gotta be beans. Now I'm really into this organic, shade grown by happy farmers from Costa Rica kind. I have been roasting our own once a week or so. Now the fun is in figuring which roast we like best.
Is it the 5 min, 6 min or even 8 minute roast from the thrift store air popper?

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Max sawdust

Here in Northern Wisconsin, I have NO coffee beans growing and the price of "fancy" beans is kinda high  :o so the stuff on sale in the can works for most days of the week. (I must admit if I can not kill it or grow it I am cheap ::)) However  I do break out the Costa Rica happy farmer beans for special occasions  though;D

Steve,
You get green coffee beans sent to Hawaii from Costa Rica?  Tell me more...
What about the good beans you have in Hawaii?

Max
True Timbers

isassi

Hey Steve? Don't you guys in Hawaii have local coffee? Like Kona? I had some Kona coffee...couldn't really tell the difference ( I have no taste or class), and after trying it, I couldn't see the 5 or 10 dollars a pound for it + shipping.  ;)

Jim_Wahl

I guess I'm one of those guys who'll take it any way he can get it. Even Starbucks. It is even more expensive when you
realize that you aren't really buying, just renting it for a while. Kind of like beer that way.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Steve

Joasis

I moved to Oregon about a year ago. Hawaiian coffee is great but like most of Hawaii the price is ridiculous!

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

MSU_Keith

Besides a coffee shop, Starbuck was Capt. Ahabs first mate in Moby Dick...I still remember struggling through that one in school.  ::)

IMERC

Quote from: MSU_Keith on February 16, 2006, 04:25:54 PM
Besides a coffee shop, Starbuck was Capt. Ahabs first mate in Moby Dick...I still remember struggling through that one in school.  ::)

I thought that was Ishmeal

iain

Your both wrong, according to my boysn Starbuck is the fit looking lady viper pilot on Battle Star Galactica, or if you old the idot from the tv series

iain (happey to correct) ;)

eagles nest

i beleve star bucks was the boyfrend of the fitt looking hot lady on battlestar ;)
i like mine from folgers & a little weak :)
tryed theres once and gaged what a waste :-X

SwampDonkey

I like can handle my own as well or better than from most coffee shops. ;D

Buzz-sawyer

When I was down in Callihan last month with Mr Tom and Mr Getoverit.....I learned what yesterdays coffee is good for, as a matter of fact it is MANDATORY that it be stale.....RED EYE gravy 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Frickman

I must be really out of the loop if so many of you know what this Starbucks thing and I don't. I don't necessarily live in the middle of nowhere, I just don't pay attention to alot of things outside of lumber and farming. I'd rather be out in the woods doing anything than sitting around a city.  :)

Reid, I'm quite familiar with Pechin's. If Starbucks is the opposite, I get the idea. Yes folks, you can go there and eat lunch for a dollar. Pechins is it's own mini-mall with grocery, hardware, sporting goods, and other stores. Their competitive advantage is low overhead, they don't spend a nickel on a building if they don't have to. The old grocery was partially built above a stream, and you could look down through the floor to the water. Their meat is so low of a price that shoppers have gotten in fistfights over it.

Apparantly this Starbucks thing markets coffee the way Arky and I market wood. I can sell "Special, hand selected oak with unique, multi-colored streaks throughout the wood that give it each board characteristics like no other" for more than oak without any mineral stain.  ;D ;D Same goes for gum streaks in cherry. If they can make a profit making people feel special about buying bad coffee then more power to them.

Don_Papenburg

Just got an email from my cousin that was sent to him by an oldMarine . 
Seems he was in WAshington while his wife took a class or some thing and found out that Starbucks got a request from some Marines in Iraq . They liked SBcoffe and wanted SB to send them some to Iraq    Starbucks sent them a note thanking them for their interest in Starbucks coffee ,But since SB did not support the war and any one that was there they would not send the Marines any coffee   .   :( >:( >:(
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Buzz-sawyer

I know its trendy (SB)....but come on....no body is that stupid ....that is economic sucide....sounds like an urban legend ??? :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jodi

Aw man, I have no place in this coffee thread. I'm a tea granny.  :)

Onthesauk

Urban legand.  I've seen news clips of Starbucks being served there.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

dail_h

Dail's Daughter Jennie:

I would just like to say that I wish I had known that sooner! I've been a pretty avid Starbucks drinker, but not anymore! That just shows what communist losers they are! I'll be sure to tell everyone that I know not to drink Starbucks anymore! I'm glad dad showed me this!

If you want to help the "war effort" check out this website...Any Marine

Thanks guys
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

IMERC

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on February 18, 2006, 07:52:49 PM
 Starbucks sent them a note thanking them for their interest in Starbucks coffee ,But since SB did not support the war and any one that was there they would not send the Marines any coffee.

I won't be going there again for any reason....

IMERC

Quote from: dail_h on February 18, 2006, 11:09:48 PM
   Dail's Daughter Jennie:

I would just like to say that I wish I had known that sooner!

Thanks guys

OOOPPPPSS!!!!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

iain

Seems to me, that some one with a bit of a grudge, can do a lot of damage with just one email, and a company like Starbucks, is in a lose, lose situation, regardless whether the email was true or not,
reading the links from here and snope.com, (and a few other stories while i was there) we got our selves another urban legend

iain

SwampDonkey

There was video footage on a documentary by 'Frontline' showing booths representing various fast food joints of the US in an army camp in Iraq. I can't remember if Starbucks was present, but I am reasonably sure there was a Taco Bell. :D

isassi

Since I don't patronize SB, It won't affect my dollars supporting them. Just a few cents to add. I beleive in the Second Amendment, B Dalton Booksellers does not. 7-11 stores supports gun control, I do not,  Theresa Heinz Kerry supports calling all Americans who did not vote for Kerry idiots. I voted for GW Bush and I am proud of it...so, I don't buy books from B Dalton, anything from 7-11, and we buy Del Monte Ketchup :D. I know, I Know...you guys say "so what about the catsup or ketchup", but I read that for every dollay spent on Heinz products, Ms. Heinz-Kerry recieves a penny. Also, less then 2% of their company manufacturing and staff are in the US. Off the top of my head, I can't think of every company or individual that pushes an issue i don't agree with, but when I see something I don't like, I will not trade with them, period, I.E. just like the Target stores kicking the Salvation Army away from their stores during the Christmas season. Amount of money spent at Target by my family: $000.00 Ane every time I pass the red buckets, I thought about Target as I put my loose change and dollars in, and I told everyone I saw what I thought of Target.  >:(

ARKANSAWYER

Well I guess Kirk and Jennie can go to StarBucks and drink coffee again since the rumor is false.

Like a bullet from a gun when fired, words will hit a mark and cause a wound.   It is as hard to recall words weither spoken or printed just as it is hard to recall a bullet when fired.   Damage will be done down range if it hits it target or not.  Like Ma always said, "Slow to speak and quick to listen". ( why most Southerners speak slow)   
  I am very glad the TRUTH has come out here and a few more folks are informed with the right ammo.   The main purpose of this site is to connect like minded folks who LOVE wood and wood products across the world and to share usefull, truthful information.   Information is power only if it is good information.

As for supporting or not supporting a Company because of something that they do or do not do is a good thing.   My family does not support KMart, Target, and several other companies because of things they do not do.  If you are agin GOD, guns and the moral thing to do, then you do not get my coin or vote.   That is my right and it was earned by the blood of my fellow countrymen and women.   But I base my choice on good information and force it on no one else.   "We have to stand for something or we will fall for any thing."

SOAP BOX ANY ONE!
ARKANSAWYER

IMERC

joasis I do it the same way..

I include the Jap tool companies in that one.

BTW the japs own 7-11....

isassi

Arky and Imerc, I agree. I know I found this forum because of my love of wood and milling, and I know the powers that be wish to slow or stop these activities on the forum. I do think (my opinion) that since this is a pretty tight group of people participating here, and brougt together by our love of what we do, there is always room for other thoughts to be expressed, maybe in a sub group of topics not made of wood. As many of you that read posts know, Lots of us contribute because we like the interaction, not because, especially in my case, that I can lend much expertise to the thread.
   As Arky so well stated, like a bullet fired, words are hard to take back. I think all of us, can be influenced by false statements, hence, the addage "consider the source".  I have heard the rumor about SB, but to me, it wasn't important to me since I don't buy anything from them. I added what I know to be a fact about B Dalton, 7-11 (both from past issues of "The American Rifleman", and of course, we all know about Ms. Heinz-Kerry. Target was on our local news for 2 weeks while the debate raged on. I try to never say anything damaging about anyone or company unless I KNOW it to be a FACT. We all have had bad experiences with different comapnies, and before I offer critisism, I try to think about both sides. For example, I bought a cant hook from a seller on E-bay. I also purchased another item and asked that it be sent in the box with the hook. Someone dropped the ball and I didn't recieve the book. I sent over 10 e-mails and was ignored, so I left negative feedback. As soon as I did, I regretted this, but the name calling I recieved from the internet guy on their end led me to commit to never doing business with them again. The company did send the book, and then sent another with their product catalog to "make" things right. I retracted the feedback, but my opinion of the comapny remains the same. Everyone else that has done business with these guys parise them, so it is obvious I had a bad experience. When I wrong, I say I'm sorry, and I always try to do the right thing. They didn't say anything except how sorry I am to not give them a chance and I was an idiot, ect. So am I wrong to boycott them? It isn't important to anyone but me I won't badmouth them to anyone.
   That said, I firmly stand on principal of being an American, and having the right to do what I do, and as Arky said, we choose who to trade with based on what they publically state. A closing thought is one of my favorite movies was "The Shawshank Redemption". Tim Robbins, along with his pals (too long a list to name) have bashed the US and our President til I am sick of it. I will not watch anything he is in, eventhough I think he is a fine actor. I think when a person uses popularity to promote their own opinions and they harm our troops and our country, they should be invited to leave. Freedom of speach is our right, but I think those who abuse it are SCUM (read MICHAEL MOORE) That concludes my saop box forum.

IMERC

This is something I wrote in another forum...

This is all my own opinion.. I don't rep or vend for anybody here.. The usual disclaimer stuff..

The tools themselves... Flip a coin... Yur choice...

I was around when Makita, Hitachi and Ryobie were trying to get a foot hold in the US in the late 70's and early 80's...

They all hit on the mom and pop tool vendors / repair stations 1st and promised them the world... Offered a real bed of roses.. Really went over board to make themselves look good... Serious PR... Great jobber pricing, good warranty program, low unit buying and so on... Suburb returns... and yadda, yadda, yadda....
After they got a bit of a toe hold that began to change... Higher unit costs, larger minimums, restructured warranty pays and poor invoice turn around... As much as 180 days out and discounted when the check showed up with a warning letter with it in regards to charging intrust on unpaid balances... When the shoe was on the other foot... RD&C...

When they got into HD, Mr How, Scotties, Lowes and Wickes the mom and pop outfits found themselves over the proverbial barrel... Retail at those stores was lower than the M&P quantity jobber pricing... That bed of roses had an awful lot of thorns in it...
When Makita opened their own repair stations things got worse for mom and dad... The M&P folks couldn't even get repair parts unless they went to the repair stations in person and bought them over the counter... Sometimes for a whopping 10% off... 32$ for a VSCH switch at Makita was $7.50 from Milwaukee.... Same exact switch, same part number....
I think these guys / manufactures did this to force out the M&P's because they weren't "volume"and weren't doing to spend a dime of their own money doing it... they may even have had an angle to make money doing this... Don't know for sure but it sure looked that way...
Bean counters and numbers.... Bottom line... It's us that matters and screw them... The old time hard line Oriental view of the caste system was very apparent here... No doubt...
These guys weren't too customer friendly either... Screwed over more than a few.. Getting tool issues resolved was another class of "PITA" all in it's self... They left some really good people hanging, out in the cold and monies due - embittered... 20 years latter and they still haven't made good... Reneged to the max...
So in short their integrity sucks... Don't give a *DanG what their PR lackeys say...
All thru this Bosch, Milwaukee, Elu, Hilti and Matebo stood by their word... Didn't let any one down and were willing to give the benefit of the doubt to it's contractors (M&P"s) and customers... This group of companies said "we are integrity" and proved it over and again... They had a line of excellent products, still do and stood / stand by them..
When I buy tools I look at who is getting my money and for what, together...
Keep in mind that all manufactures of upper end tools have their duds and they have their bench-marks too.

Can we discuss what YOUR money will get Me for tools sometime??? ROAR!!!!

IMERC

now on the lighter side......................

As any woodworker/carpenter/construction guy knows. You can't use "do I need it?" as a criteria for buying a new tool. Whether or not you'll even ever use it is besides the point! For all you confused people out there, I will give you the listed reasons for buying a new tool straight from "The Man Bible" Chapter 35 Section 72 Subsection D Paragraph 23 states:

You simply buy a new tool because:

a) It's there

b) You can

I hope this has cleared up any questions any of you may have for buying new tools, and hopefully relieve some of the guilty feelings you may have about purchasing that new tool with the money you should have spent on a new dishwasher for your wife.

SwampDonkey

I love Makita brand tools and my father, who was a farmer for 40 years had a benchful of Makita tools. They even came to the farm with a panel truck showing their wares on several occasions. ;D  8)

isassi

:D We got to a "man" type subject really quickly.....Imerc? How do we (you) know for sure, who owns what and where they are made now? Dewat is part of B&D, made in Japan, Craftsman tools (cexcept high end saws made by Emerson Electric) by Ryobi, Ridgid I have been told is another Ryobi company, Bosch is German, (I think), and if I am not mistaken, my Milwaukee Nibler dies came in a package marked "Japan". I agree in whole with your position, and If we could truly by American Made by Americans, I am all for it, even at a premium. My little company uses Dewalt cordless and it is due to the batteries, they hold up better then others for us. The Makita rep here in Oklahoma offered me a deal if we would "trade in" all the DW for all new Makitas...but I haven't taken him up on it yet.
     On  happy note with regards to needing no reason for a new tool, I bought a 763G Bobcat Thursday  8) and my wife wasn't impressed. I used all the lines including tax breaks, yada yada yada......"your 743 is paid for, I never heard you say anything was wrong with it...."  This went on til we were cleaning up some brush piles and she drove the new Bobcat with the 66inch grapple bucket and said WOW..... :D Moral: Let your wife play too  ;)

IMERC

Quote from: joasis on February 19, 2006, 01:47:12 PM
:D We got to a "man" type subject really quickly.....Imerc?

Don't let the man title fool ya... The ladies are welcome to play too..

D Moral: Let your wife play too  ;)

you got it..

now back on track...

there a lot of "little" coffee shops out there that have a  much better product fer less with heaps of hospitality...
they even have WIFI fer free...
Next time yer in SB's check what they want fer a sammich... Nothing is free at SB's... it all comes with a hefty price tag...
and try to get something of value fer yer money..

IMERC

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 19, 2006, 01:05:52 PM
I love Makita brand tools and my father, who was a farmer for 40 years had a benchful of Makita tools. They even came to the farm with a panel truck showing their wares on several occasions. ;D  8)

I didn't knock the tools... just the company...

I try to consider the company and their attitude, the tool and what it will do, how long it will last, what kind of service comes with it along with the price when I buy...

DW has been B&D for a very long time. Supervisors at the DW automated plant in Mexico get about 80$ for a long week and it's a bought posistion... did anybody pass on the savings????

Bosch is US, Germany, Switzerland and off shore.. Same for Milwaukee... Mil is now held by a holding company that has Proto, Ryobie, Irwin, Vise Grip and a few others, Sears is Ryobie with a black wrapper...

Don_Papenburg

Glad to hear that that was not true of SB . I knew that someone here would know .

Hey Imerc did I see you postin over at Breaktime ?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Just heard they're taking Timmy's (Tim Hortans) to Kandahar for the Canadian troops. ;D :D

crtreedude

Holy cow, I have no idea how you all managed to talk about coffee for so long without me.  ::)

See, that is what happens when you don't include coffee on the subject line - you keep out the riff-raff.  :D

I have to admit, when traveling sometimes I will drop into Starbucks - but many of their coffees I don't like, they brew it too hot and so they get really bitter.  However, many people like the flavor because it stands up to all the additives.  ;)

Also, I really hate to admit this, I crushed one of their cups in my hand accidently and ended up with a very big scar on my left forearm about 5 or more years ago. I guess I could have been rich - but I sure felt stupid about it. Besides, if I went in front of a judge he would probably say that I wasn't that pretty to begin with.  ::)

Starbucks and the high end coffee shops was a place for me to go with my kids. I would get a coffee with half n half (and sometimes a shot of chocolate) and they would get some strange tea thing. We would then take the beverages in the old truck and drive around for the next hour talking about life and things. Many, many fond memories of this. When I am in town with my kids, this is a tradition still. Starbucks is predicable quality - if not always the best. Originally it was a way to lure the kids into time with the old geezer (me) but now it just is a tradition.

And time with my kids is worth anything - even 3 dollars for a strange tea beverage.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

dail_h

Seems I've been stupid agin------ will see to it that Jennie sees/reads this
   Anybody got any smart pills left?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!