iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash Log Prices

Started by 123maxbars, December 30, 2012, 08:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

I had a farmer bring some logs over. This guy is clearing some more pasture for his cattle across the highway from me and brings me a few logs a month. Today he dropped off some Ash logs. I have never sawed ash or been asked by any of my customers for ash lumber. What are you guys paying for ash logs?

Two logs: Both are 10ft long. No limbs, good clear saw logs, diam on small end is 18 on both.

He usually drops them off and I scale them later. He brought the ash and a few walnut.He is asking .25cents a bf for the ash/doyle scale. I have no experience with ash, looking for advice on the price of the logs ( I think I got a good deal on what he is asking). Also I will saw them up and stack them in the barn for drying. I was thinking saw them at 5/4 at maximium width, any thoughts on that also would be appreciated.

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

T Welsh

123maxbars, The price your neighbor is asking IMO is fair! Since he delivered them and if they are good logs. Ash is a hard wood (baseball bats) are some products made from the specie others are handles and anything else you have a need for that calls for good strength. Ash does have a tendency to warp and twist if not stickered and stacked right. We get 0.35 bf at the mills for common Ash,butt logs a little higher and veneer about 1.00bf Hope this helps. Tim

DRB

Ash is probably undervalued now because of the Emerald Ash Borer killing it and putting a lot on the market at once. It is likely to go the way of the American Chestnut in the next 10 to 20 years.  It is nice lumber rather plain in color but attractive grain. I have seen it used in chairs as legs and posts as well as the standard baseball bat.  I note that it gets worms very fast in the log so saw it soon, it seems like it gets wormy from the time it is cut off the stump to the time it hits the ground.  250 a MBF is a fair price for nice Ash logs especially Doyle scale you will saw much more out of them then Doyle says you should get.   I say buy it and see what you think of it since we are not talking a huge investment in 2 logs my calculations show about $60 for the 2 logs.

SwampDonkey

You got a sweet deal in my opinion. A clear ash log up here like that is over $0.50 a bf and a lot better scale for the seller (NB Log rule is similar to International). The one complaint I hear from the south is powder post beetles in the lumber in storage. Maybe you'll get doubly lucky and find curly grain. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GAB

The last Ash that I sawed I sawed some of it as large as I could handle with the intention of resawing it to what some one else might want later.  If it twists, bends or whatever I could end up cutting it into 40" lengths and saw ball bat blanks.  Remember you can cut/refine it down later, adding is a whole different ballgame.
I sawed some 5/16" and 5/32" thick ash for a fellow who makes Shaker Boxes.  The sawdust pile grew fast.
My board stretcher is still on back order and it does not look good for 2013.
I just can't understand it I cut it three times and it is still too short, but only on one end
Happy New Year to All,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

paul case

I got some nice ash logs(24''x10') in a few loads of logs about 2 months ago. I bought the whole lot for $.25/bdft doyle. I didnt want to saw them as I thought they were much nicer than what I need for my cant market. I sold them to a local sawmill that dries their lumber for $.40/bdft doyle. That GN load of ash logs I had to haul to him(6 logs I think) paid me over $200 just for the hauling.

I have sawed a few smaller ones and they make some really nice looking lumber.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WindyAcres

QuoteA clear ash log up here like that is over $0.50 a bf and a lot better scale for the seller (NB Log rule is similar to International)
Yes, the same around here..
2011 Woodmizer Lt40 Hyd G28, Stihl Chainsaws, Tractor with Farmi Winch, Woodturning Lathe,....

scully

ash flooring ! Oh boy is it ever nice !  I have a couple standing that I have been waiting to cut , I can hardly wait to see the pile I get ! Emerald boars have hit hard north of here and I think I have seen sighns around here that they are moveing in . I feel that if you can take an ash tree and turn it into lumber at least you will have something beutiful to last for all time . Better than haveing the fire wood guys salvage it !
I bleed orange  .

WindyAcres

Yes Scully, couldnt agree more! Makes beautiful flooring! I have also seen some really nice kitchens..! I was thinking of selling my mill but before I do that, I would fill my barn up with hardwood (ash, sugar maple, yellow birch, red maple).
2011 Woodmizer Lt40 Hyd G28, Stihl Chainsaws, Tractor with Farmi Winch, Woodturning Lathe,....

Thank You Sponsors!