iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chicken legs and chaps

Started by Bump, January 21, 2012, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bump

Chainsaws scare me so I'm a bit on the over kill safety side. For a pare of chaps that you know will take a nic what do you recommend. My friends heckle me a bit that I should just buy a suit of armer when I'm always talking about I would like cavlar carharts.

beenthere

Bailey's (a sponsor seen on the list at the left) has a variety of chaps. They are great to deal with too.

baileysonline.com
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Welcome to the FF!

I'm a weekend warrior with a chain saw, actually truth be told a monthly warrior heck maybe not even that. I wear them. Bought a pair at Baileys and pretty much always wear them. My friends laugh, I don't care. Cheap insurance. I also wear a helmet. Maybe I'm a wuss but I'm a 2 legged one ;)
IMO way too many things can go wrong on a good day.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

JDeere

The original chaps were manufactured in Gorham, NH at Labonville's, Inc. They still make and sell them there or on-line at: www.labonville.com

These are the same chaps President Ronald Reagan wore when cutting on his ranch. They are also on display at the Ameircan Museum of History as well as the Smithsonean Institute.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

islandlogger

Your friends have no right to "heckle" you for wanting to be safe. The chainsaw is a serious weapon and demands utmost caution in the hands of ANY user be they "week end warriors" or every day proffesionals. The day I stop respecting my saws will be the day I best quit the woods cause it will have me for breakfast. And even in the control of the most experienced user Schmidt still happens, Personal Protective Gear is very VERY importent, my chaps go on from when I step out of the truck in the morn until I'm done at the end of the day. Anybody that makes "fun" of you for wanting to look after your own well being should go else where....
My own personal preference for chaps is the Stihl brand...but that's just me...Baileys sells a fine line of them and there are plenty of styles to chose from, find what works for you and is COMFORTABLE for you to work in. Steel toe boots, eye protection and a tin hat or "lumberjack system" will help protect most of your vitals....remember to treat that thing like it can kill ya cause it can, use it right and it will work for you, dont rush it, dont push it, dont do ANYthing your not ready to do with it! Safe n steady wins the race! I've been running saws since I was a wee lad, every time I start one up I still turn my "respect button" on in my brain!!

Safe

islandlogger

thecfarm

Don't be afraid to buy them a little long. Before I bought a pair of rubber logger boots,just about everytime I got off the tractor the chaps were on the top of my boots.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Well put, Island logger. When I'm around one of those types who thinks it proves what a macho, highly skilled chainsaw user he is by not wearing personal protective equipment (or worse, making fun of someone who does use it), I just shake my head and walk away (sometimes I can't resist pointing out what an idiot they are...)

When I started using a chainsaw, I read the book that came with it (almost worthless), got some pointers from a friend (helped quite a bit), then decided I still did not have the expertise and control I needed to be safe. I wanted to be around to see my kids grow up, and have full use of all my limbs while doing so. I got myself some more rigorous training, and upgraded my PPE. It was worth every dime and every minute I spent.

I prefer the full-wrap chaps myself (they wrap all the way around your calf), rather than the "apron style". Labonville and Husqvarna both sell some very good ones (others are good as well, these are just the ones I have personal experience with). Both are sold by Baileys:
Labonville Full Wrap Chaps
Husqvarna Pro Forest Wrap Chaps

THey are available in different lengths (the link for Labonville has a place to specify the length, for the Husky chaps, you'll have to search out another page on the Bailey's web site). You don't measure chap length by the inseam (how pants are measured). You measure from the top of your belt to the top of your foot.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

VT_Forestry

I wear my Labonville full-wrap chaps religiously, both at work and at home.  Bought them at Bailey's, they are (in my opinion) the best pair of chaps you can buy for the money.  I also like the fact that they are made in America  :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

shinnlinger

While you r at it, get a pair of chainsaw boots.mine are labonville and were only 160 made in Pennsylvania.....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

redlaker1

not sure if you specifically want chaps that you can take on and off easily or not,   but I know if I am cutting for any length of time I prefer to wear chainsaw pants.   I have chaps as well,   but find the pants alot easier to move around in,   and no straps or buckles to get caught up in.

I have two pairs of chainsaw pants,  blue stihl ones,  and some old orange husky pants.       they are something to consider. 

but if they are just for throwing on for a few minutes to buck up some firewood or something then chaps are good.      I used to wear chaps at work all the time,   and in the summer after taking the chaps off,  I would be soaked with sweat from the waist down pretty much.

gotta laugh at people that make fun of safety equipment,    not sure they will still be mocking it when they find themself in a hospital bed someday.

RPF2509

I'd agree with everyone - get a pair and wear them all ways.  Chainsaw cuts are nothing to laugh at.  Full wrap are better as the apron style can catch your foot while walking.  Pants are the ticket if you work all day in them.  Chaps are great too when crashing the brush or walking in tall wet grass

mwigant

After experiencing how fast a kickback can happen, I wear everything I have available.  If you don't wear saw boots, get your chaps long to give your foot some protection.  Not wearing my chaps got me a good story, a bad scar, a ruined pair of overalls, a freaked out wife, a dozen stitches, and a $3000 hospital bill.  And it could have been much worse. Experience does not prevent accidents, just read the reports!

Mike

Bump

Are the pants as cut proof as the chaps? Had not herd of the pants before didn't know they were out there.

Dave VH

I have never worn them (completly self taught in fact I screwed up 2 beautiful oak logs today by falling them wrong), but I was out cutting today, and thinking about getting a pair.  I'm glad this thread was started, I paying close attention cause I plan on ordering a pair now.  Any recomondations for a pair that are on and off quickly?  I know that I would used them more if they went on easy.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

beenthere

Mine have a snap-in belt buckle and two snap-in buckles behind each leg. On and off without having to remove boots. The belt loops around the legs can catch on brush which is annoying. But I like the convenience and that they are cool(er) to wear in the summer.
On my third pair due to inadvertent surprises that would have been costly at the emergency room.

The comment about others poking fun, happened to me on a Lions project to clear buckthorn from a school outdoor education center. The leader laughed when I put on chaps. About at the end of clearing a lot of buckthorn, I was reaching into some brush when the chain caught something and bounced the bar/chain down on my kneecap. Just a small tear in the chaps and some kevlar torn out to wrap in the drive sprocket. This leader was right there, and being the driver for the EMS van, he recognized what just happened and how far we were from getting to an ER room. His comment as he stood with an ashen face was "DanG, I'm going to order a pair of chaps yet today".
He's worn them ever since.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Quote from: Dave VH on January 24, 2012, 03:17:24 PM
I have never worn them (completly self taught in fact I screwed up 2 beautiful oak logs today by falling them wrong), but I was out cutting today, and thinking about getting a pair.  I'm glad this thread was started, I paying close attention cause I plan on ordering a pair now.  Any recomondations for a pair that are on and off quickly?  I know that I would used them more if they went on easy.

I bought a pair from Baileys about 5 years ago. Mine also have a simple click belt and 2 snap straps on each leg, quick and easy on and off. Bright orange. I also like them when walking through briars and thickets so my delicate skin doesn't get all scratched and marred up.  ;D

Chain saws scare me.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

John Mc

I have a pair of apron-style chaps that I don't use for chainsaw work anymore (not as good protection as the full-wrap chaps, plus they were too short for me).

Next was a pair of Husqvarna Pro Forest Summer Chainsaw Pants (bought from a local Husky dealer, also sold by Baileys). I like these a lot, and their protection is similar to full-wrap chaps. They're cooler than wearing full-wrap chaps over regular pants, and there is less hanging off them to catch on things as you wander through the brush, or make your retreat from a falling tree. The downside is that they are tougher to get on and off than chaps - so if I'm working in hotter weather, I don't have the option of popping them off when I stop for a break or lunch (Well, I guess I could, but sitting in the woods in my underwear isn't my idea of fun.) My only gripe is that the summer pants are supposed to have mesh lining in the pockets. This is great, since you can unzip the pocket and the mesh ventilates the pants, making them cooler in warm weather. For some reason, mine came with solid fabric in the pockets.

Then, I bought a pair of Husqvarna Pro Forest Wrap Chaps. Good protection, easy on/off (as are most chaps), good fit, and tough surface that stands up to buckthorn, raspberry prickers, etc. I seem to end up using these the most, especially if I'm just out cutting for part of the day. If I'm planning a full day, then my pants may see more use.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

shinnlinger

Chaps I have had for some time and usually wear them but I had been pondering saw boots for some time when I ran into a pro arborist with his foot all bandaged up.  The bar had kicked back while limbing a tree and cut the tendons on the top of his foot and there is no fix for that . he will never be able to lift his big toe or walk barefoot again.  I figured if a pro can screw up I can too and the cost of a pair of boots is much cheaper than any injury.  The plus is I am really impressed with my boots and they were on sale to boot.  Made in USA too!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

redlaker1

I believe the pants are as cut proof as the chaps.   they have a chain speed rating on the tag  but I didnt compare it to the chaps I have.

they seem about the same to me,   but I just find the pants alot more comfortable.   

westyswoods

Use wrap around stihl chaps, helmet with shield (kask), ear protection, steel toe boots,

Some may consider it overkill, in addition to above I have a pair of baseball chin guards which give good protection from above knee to over the front of the boot. I do not climb so no problem with them getting in the way. I can't count the number of times they have saved my legs, not only from saw nicks around feet but whips caused from tensioned tops.

They are great for kneeling as don't need to worry about ramming something into legs or knees.

Been in the woods on/off since childhood working with my dad. Now 65 and have yet to have a major incident although have been saved on three occasions by safety apparel.

Knock on Wood
Be Safe and Healthy
Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

thecfarm

I have the chaps that snaps on the side,2 snaps behind the calf and one behind the thigh. Really just a preference on pants or chaps. I've only have wore the chaps so have no idea about the pants. Don't forget the hard hat too. I think most places that sell saws,has chaps. Look around for a style you like. I have seen the single legs one that need to be worn with a belt.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave VH

just picked up a pair of chaps today at the stihl dealership.  This thread was what tipped the scales for me to get them.  They might of been cheaper online, but I appreciate getting to try them out first.  If I would of ordered them, I would of gotten the wrong size.  They go on and off i think easy enough.  Besides, I like keeping my money local if I can.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Holmes

Bump Just so you know all of the chaps and pants are cutable. The kevlar strands inside the chaps that gets wrapped around sprocket and stops the chain from moving is your protection and this happens in a fraction of a second.  Once your chaps have been cut and some kevlar has been removed they should be replaced. 
   Evertime I cut without my chaps on I think about how stupid I am being.

Think like a farmer.

Bump

Yes I have no problem replacing a pair that would be damaged I even have a pair got no idea of the protection rating and going to replace them because I'm not sure if they are really there for me if I mess up. The speed rating of the chain for what the chaps are rated to stop have not seen listed but is the information I'm seeking will be asking that is there a HP rating or such to go with it. I been getting answers like 5 ply kavlar and the denier rating witch means nothing to me. I have seen what a saw does to a carhart and the leg inside. Can say no way I want that experience on me.

Bump

Words of wisdom from the greatest Guy I've known to quote "Son experience is a great teacher but you don't have to make every mistake personally to do it"

Thank You Sponsors!