iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Douglas Fir that has been on the ground for a year

Started by BarryD, November 02, 2005, 07:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryD

Hi all,

A friend has five 20' Douglas Fir logs that have been on the ground for about a year.  He wants me to mill 8"x8" beams for a barn project he is doing.  The logs range from 30" to 44" diameter.  They were never end sealed, and are showing some serious checking.  He wants to cut them and stack them to air dry.  My question is should I end seal them at this point, or just count on some loss off the ends when they dry.

Thanks,

Barry

logwalker

Hey Barry,
I have cut quite a few D. Firs after a year or more and you should find that the end degradation does not penetrate too far. Maybe 6 inches. You might find that sapwood is pecky in places. Especially if bark was left on. You would do well to end coat. With the checking present something heavier like some old latex paint. Where are you at in the world? Were logs stickered for last year? Good luck. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Frank_Pender

If you can end trim the log to fresh non checked wood, you can thn coat them with a sealer.   If the logs are close to length you may want to just wait 'till they are dry.
Frank Pender

whitey

i just finished milling  1500 bdft of v grain df that has been in a rr tunnel  since 1912 . all we did was cut the ends back  a foot and milled them  they were never pressure treated. just a heavy coat of coal  soot .  i think df would proably last forever if it 's kept dry.  the only problem with tunnel timbers is imbedded rocks.  i would just mill as is and leave a trim allowance .       Whitey
you  don't have to be crazy to cut juniper but it sure helps !

BarryD

Thanks for the advice guys.  The logs were bucked at 20'.  I'll check with the owner to see what exact lengths he needs. 

I was planning to cut them 1/8" over to allow for shrinkage (fore example 7 5/8" x 7 5/8").  Any advice there? 

I am planning to cut on Saturday.  I need to make sure I have enough strong backs around to lift these 20' 8"x8" off. :)

By the way, I am in northern California (Santa Cruz county), and I'll be using a Lucas 827. 

Barry

ohsoloco

BarryD

Why not cut full 8x8's?
The owner has to fit them to some steel brackets with an inside diameter of 7 1/2" after they dry.  Hope that clarifies it.   

Barry

ohsoloco

Gotcha  ;)  You may want to ask the shrinkage question over on the Timber Framing board.  I don't know how much they'll shrink, but it will take a LONG time for them to dry out. 

Thank You Sponsors!