iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made it home

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 24, 2018, 09:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I like to boil um until they are soft.  Even slightly crunchy needs more time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

You don't let 'em dry out after they're boiled, right?  I've seen people carrying them around in a zip lock bag.  How long do they keep?  
HM126

PC-Urban-Sawyer

When we cook them they keep about an hour or so, then they're all gone...

btulloh

HM126

WDH

They freeze well.  I boil a big pot and put what I don't immediately need in freezer bags and put them in the freezer.  You can re-heat them in a little water later in the microwave or put them in some water in a pot on the stove and bring them to a boil again to heat them up. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

I should have stared this thread under the Food category I see.

Yes keep the cooked peanuts in a zip log bag (they are very moist) or bowl once cooked if not eaten immediately. They are very addictive once you start eating them. They probably are safe to eat exposed with no refrigeration for a day or two. They will keep a week or so in a refrigerator and near indefinitely when frozen. We froze all but one bag and it is near empty now. 

My SIL said one of her other BILs ran a country store near her in Escambia County Fla. He sold the canned boiled Peanuts (Peanut Patch brand a I remember - they are a fair substitute if all you can get) then some vendor came along offering frozen boiled peanuts. He said people loved the frozen ones and said they were much better than canned ones. He ran out of frozen peanuts so he opened the cans and froze them till gone. People still swore how much better those frozen peanuts were. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

So if bagged or placed in bowl and refrigerated are these left open or sealed?  
Is there an issue if they dry out?

Yep another topic gone foody!

WV Sawmiller

I don't think they would ever dry out in the refrigerator and I can't imagine them lasting long enough to ever dry out once you taste them.

MM said he liked his soft, I like mine with a little crunch so just cook them to taste. I see people selling them as Cajun flavored and I think they just add some Cajun spices to the mix. You probably get enough off the hulls when you open them to get that taste. I prefer mine just salted and not overly salty at that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I'm feeling a Saturday peanut boil coming on and I'm thinking Old Bay flavored might be interesting.  

Sorry for derailing this one!  Not really 8)
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

I am a purist.  No cajun spices.  Just salt. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

This ½ bushel is soon to take a trip.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

;D.  Surely not up Nawth? 

Magicman

:-X  They are not to be wasted doing a taste test.  :o  Glaciated people that talk funny would probably think that they were Grits and refuse to eat them anyway.   ::)

WV Sawmiller

Better not let them try them or there won't be enough for the rest of us.

I am not suggesting they are addictive but I understand there are on-going studies indicating boiled peanuts may be used to help get drug addicts off Heroin and Crack Cocaine by keeping them distracted munching on peanuts instead of doing hard drugs. :D
Howard Green

trapper

had some in fl willing to try them again
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WDH

It is peanut pickin' time in Georgia.  Got a big batch on the boil right now.  Mmmm smells good. 

WV Sawmiller

We still have several gallons frozen from our trip back in July. I take out a bag every couple of weeks and put in the refer till they thaw and munch on them for several days. Still real good. Glad to hear yours are ready. I know y'all are enjoying them.
Howard Green

Don P

Quote from: Magicman on July 25, 2018, 07:45:47 PM
Peanuts are sorta fool proof regarding the salt.  Not salty enough, add salt and boil some more.  Too salty, boil them in unsalted water and the salt will leach out.

You can not mess up a boiled peanut.   ;D
Reminds me of, oh I think it was Ralph Stanley, travelling the country in the band's bus carrying a cured ham in a wooden box. "You can't hurt ham"

Thank You Sponsors!