iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Possible Basic Timberframe Class if interested!

Started by JoeyLowe, August 23, 2004, 08:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

Hi all,

This is an inquiry to check the amount of interest in attending a basic timber frame and joinery class to be held in Gilmer, Texas.  The instructor would be our own Jim Rogers and I will allow him the opportunity to lay out the actual course curriculam.  

We would like to keep the class size limited to no more than ten people.  The tuition would include actual hands-on instruction and a text book to take home with you.  We figure that in order to cover costs, the tuition would be set between $200.00 and $250.00 for total training time of 5 days.

Gilmer is located in the Piney Woods of East Texas.  Situated about 20 miles north of Longview, 60 miles southwest of Texarkana and about 125 miles due east of Dallas, Texas.  Being a small town, Gilmer has plenty to offer.  The town square has several restaurants and shops to take up any of your leisurely time.  Our local hotels offer all of the amenities you could ever need and you are just minutes away from larger cities that could accomdate any of your needs.
I would host the seminar at my place and there is plenty of room so no one would feel cramped.

If you are interested, please post a response here are send myself or Jim Rogers a message via this forum. Thanks for inquiries and let's see if we can make this seminar a reality! 8)
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Jim_Rogers

The course would be layout and cutting of a frame using traditional square rule joinery.
A suggested tool list is already posted on the forum, and you could use the layout tools section of that list for starters. And then some chisels.
If you didn't have any wide chisels regular 1" chisel could be used.
The For Sale section of the FF lists some timber framing hand tools for sale.
I hope there is some interest in this workshop, it could be a great time, in Texas.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Papa Dave

I would be very interested if this is a serious class to learn the basics of timberframing. I have read several books and bought the basic tools. Now, I need practical instruction.

However, not sure when you plan to do this. Between now and the end of the year, my calendar is pretty full.

Please email me when you have complete information. I live outside of Memphis, so Gilmer is about 6 hrs. from me.

Also, any chance the schedule could include weekends so we do not have to use 5 days during the week?

Jim_Rogers

Papa Dave:
The frame we will be cutting will be Joey's new woodworking shop. It's a 20' x 60' building that I'm working on the plans for him as we type.
He needs it done asap so he can use the shop for his business.
He would like to do it from Tuesday, Sept 21st threw Saturday, the 25th. We would raise whatever parts of the frame we have done on that Saturday.
Have you read Jack Sobon's "Build a Classic Timber Frame House"?
This will be the workshop text book.
We'd love to have you come over.
Jim Rogers

Papa Dave

Jim:
I have read that book as well as an older one from Ted Benson with a black cover. One of Ted's first books. I also have bought a slick and have Sorby timber framing and corner chisels. A year ago, I visited Ted Benson's operation and went by the Heartland School, but it was out and did not get a chance to meet Will or anyone.

I am interested in building my own timber frame one of these years.

Not sure I can devote five days during Sept., because I must go see my Dad in Virginia for labor day and can not take off that much time from work during the same month. Would there be an opportunity to participate just two or three days and still learn something?

JoeyLowe

Hi Papa Dave:

I want to assure you that this seminar would be very serious.  Jim is willing to travel over 1500 miles to east Texas to teach a seminar on basic timber framing.  That requires Jim to take a short leave from his everyday business.  Myself and one of my employees will be away from my business for the same period to enjoy the training.

It's not very often that we get an opportunity to have this type of training out here, so we want to make sure that all of the proverbial ducks are in a row. ;D

There will be a curriculam, a textbook and plenty of timbers to cut and assemble.  The weather should be very nice and the location is in Old Town Gilmer and is very comfortable. I plan to have most of the bases covered prior to the seminar so that all we have to do is learn!! 8)  I think that you will have a great learning experience, even if for only a couple of days.  Unlike other seminars, Jim agreed to keep the tuition low in order to just cover his travel and teaching expenses. We hope that this seminar will turn into a regular event giving us people west of the Mississippi a local place to come and learn.

I benefit threefold.  First, I get to meet and hopefully befriend like-minded folks. Second, I get to learn traditional joinery from someone that I trust.  Third, I get to work on timbers that will be used in my new workshop.

I hope that you do get to join us.  I go to Pontatoc, Ms. all the time and I go through Memphis to get there and I'll be willing to tell you of a short cut or two that will shave some time off of your travel time.

By the way, as of 5:30 p. m. tonight, I have 4 confirmed to attend so things are filling up fast.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

JoeyLowe

Just a quick follow-up to this planned seminar.  Things are moving along nicely.  If you are interested, drop me an email or private message and I will gladly send you all of the details. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

Jim_Rogers

Papa Dave:
You'd be welcome to come by and participate for as many days as you can.
We can adjust your costs based on those number of days.
Those who are there from the beginning will get first attention. I'm sure you can understand that I can't spend a lot of time helping you to "catch up" to the rest of the group.
I'm sure you'll get help from the others who are there, as well as instruction from me.
Let me or Joey know what days you could come.
Thanks for your interest.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!