iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lean-to slope vs. roof slope

Started by blueheron, September 01, 2008, 04:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueheron

my wife and i are building a 22'x28' timberframe house with an 8/12 pitch roof.  we plan to have a lean-to on the north side, and wrap around porch on the west and south sides.  my question is what should the slope of the lean-to and porch roofs be?  i know a timberframer who recommended that the slope not be the same as the main roof, but can't remember if he said it should be more or less.
thanks

Don P

It's "normal" to go with a shallower pitch. I don't like to go below a 4/12 and use that quite a bit for porch roofs.

Raphael

My upper roofs are 10.5|12 and the lower roofs are 6|12 pitch.
I like that 6|12 pitch because it's not too shallow but easy enough to walk on and it makes some of the math simpler.

I'd draw it up to scale, see what looks good and what gives you the depth of shed you want.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Brad_bb

Part of it is what looks right...maybe a fibonocci thing?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

blueheron

thanks for the replies.  think we will go with 6/12 on the lean-to, with the house slope 8/12.  sent drawings to the engineer this week, so now we have to wait for the results.  hoping the math i did on the frame was correct, and we won't have to change anything when the engineer is finished.  the plan is to pour a foundation late this month, cut joinery in october, and raise late october early november...  we'll see what twists and turns happen between now and then.

thecfarm

Are you going to do all of the buiding?Have friends to help?I would like to see some pictures of the work.There is "help" on the top of the page for pictures.Looks like a lot at first,but the more you do it the easier it gets.We will all help you. Good luck with the building.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Alexis

Are you working alone to cut the joint? How much time do you expect it will take to cut them all?

blueheron

most of the building will be done by a good friend and i.  we do have lots of friends to help, particularly with bigger projects like raising day, roofing and wall infill.
will certainly try to post some pics at some point.
not sure how long the joinery will take to cut.  suppose it will go faster the more we do.  my hope is to cut at least one post/day on average.  at that rate we should have the frame cut in a month or so.  the frame is a three bent high post cape.
first we need to mill the logs, and right now i'm trying to decide whether to buy a sawmill or to just hire someone else to mill the timbers.  i like the idea of milling them myself, and of having a mill at the end to work with in the future, but don't want to jump in too deep (may be too late for that already, eh?).
any ideas about a good manual bandsaw mill to buy, and any leads on used ones?

thecfarm

There is another thread going on about the same thing here,

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,33146.msg478326/topicseen.html#new

Just remember those manual mills are ALOT of work. I have one,so I know.But it's not like I'm trying to make money with it.It's just for my own personal use.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!