iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed Roof Lean-to Rafters

Started by Rougespear, November 27, 2017, 10:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Hey all, I'm in the process of framing my new shop (racing the winter).  In the back is a 12' lean-to off the main structure.  I ordered the 10/12-pitch roof trusses for the shop with 18" raised heels on the lean-to side - see picture below.  My plan is to attach 2x10s to the side of the trusses at the top of the truss heel, then install short 2x6 jack studs below to transfer the load down to the top plate.  The shed roof rafters are 3/12 pitch and bear on a 6x12 beam.  Any thoughts on this plan's viability?

Another thought I had was to attach a 2x10 ledger to the raised heels of the trusses and use joist hangers to secure the rafters.  This method doesn't seem as structurally sound.

Thanks for the thoughts!

First structure to use my own milled lumber!!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Don P

That will work fine, the little jack is your real gravity load path. It is always a good idea to block between rafters for rolling in the wind. When they get tall like those raised heels you really have to. Think about jamming blocking in between or wrapping sheathing around what you're doing right over the wall below. One way, mill a 4x whatever block jammed in each rafter bay over the wall and set or notch in the shed rafter on it. You could nail alongside now and knock the blocking in later.

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!