iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soviet Chainsaws

Started by Tom Sawyer, February 19, 2005, 05:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

Because I call all my treasures I find and collect Junk (weather a old saw or a vintage dozer ).....I am sure your colection is very valuable.
Sorry if I offended you

If I offended you it was not intended to run you down
or to degrade you
it was in a poor  attempt to reply to what I though was you joking with me.... so I tried to give you a tongue in check come back as I do with some others.... I will try to be more careful about this in the future some times I am learning , as I go , that what I intend to convey on the internet is some thing I should consider carefully

I appreciated you inviting me to your house, and being so kind while we were all there, .
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Swede

:o Qwackkkk!! :o  I´m sitting less than 100 miles from the Husqvarna factory. After looking that chain saw I´ll look for another citizenship if no one have a very good explanation why they made one and how to use that tool.  :-[

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

sawinmontana

I am working down in McMurdo Station, Antarctica right now and if it weren't for the Russians we may well have not gotten our supply ships here this year.  The U.S. Coast Guard had only one heavy ice breaker to send down here this year so the National Science Foundation in one of there few smart ideas hired the Russian icebreaker, The Krasin, to assist.  When the Coast Guard ice breaker, Polar Star, arrived here it developed a hydraulic leak on the prop. They were afraid to use it in case it broke badly.  So, the Russians did most, if not all, the icebreaking here.  We met some of them and even though we didn't speak Russian and they spoke little English we all had fun.  I too would hesitate to condem a different culture.  We were greatful for the Russians being here.  After all we were almost out of beer on station so we needed that supply ship!

J_T

Don't know but sometimes it is easer to have a disimaled unit shiped as parts than a compleat unit. Just a thought ??? ???
Jim Holloway

Dean Hylton

It should not be a problem with shipping. I have sent old saws to France, Germany, Sweeden, Australia..... all over and have not had a problem yet. Now I understand that I do not live in Russia or in the communist country of California but I got them out of the sattelite cummunist republic of Washington.

redpowerd

QuoteDon't know but sometimes it is easer to have a disimaled unit shiped as parts than a compleat unit. Just a thought   

then you could just 'guess' it back together :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on February 20, 2005, 01:18:16 PM
Because I call all my treasures I find and collect Junk (weather a old saw or a vintage dozer ).....I am sure your colection is very valuable.
Sorry if I offended you

If I offended you it was not intended to run you down
or to degrade you
it was in a poor  attempt to reply to what I though was you joking with me.... so I tried to give you a tongue in check come back as I do with some others.... I will try to be more careful about this in the future some times I am learning , as I go , that what I intend to convey on the internet is some thing I should consider carefully

I appreciated you inviting me to your house, and being so kind while we were all there, .
Don

No offense taken buzz, I need to take a refresher course in smilies 101 :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Human ingenuity, ya gotta love it. Making due with what one has and coming up with something that works is always worthwhile. Rube Goldberg was famous for it.

Anybody remember seeing this? Its a large flash file so may take time to load...
http://mail.silvertech.net/~epe/honda.html#hondaad

Ironwood

ANYONE CARE TO TRAVEL TO THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION, PORTIONS OF WHICH CAME FROM THE SAME FACTORY THAT PROBABLY BUILT THE SAW?

JEFF, YEAH TRY NOT TO CONDENM, BUT WOULD YOU GO? REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Furby

Ianab

And when you think about it the, lo-tech Russian rocket is the only way you can get there right now  ::)

I bet that old guys funny looking saw starts first time, and if it doesn't he can fix it with a screwdriver, a spanner and his pocket knife  :D

They probably look at our saws and say "gee that must hurt ya back ven ya hav ta bent down?"
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom Sawyer

Some good thoughts on culture and understanding here! I never thought my pictures would cause such a strong reaction!  I have to say I am proud that my second ever post has become an official hot topic ;D ;D

After living here in Kyrgyzstan for almost 4 years now I have to say that I have come to highly respect the ingenuity of many of the people here.  Sure, the equipment may not be engineered to the same degree as we are used to, but it works.  I have never met people anywhere that can do so many different things with so little materials to work with.  Generally the Russian stuff is ugly, big, and heavier than it should be, but it does the job and is easy to fix.  I would trust the Russian space equipment.  They really did reward the best engineers well, and only their best were put on projects like the space station and military stuff.  There is a good reason why North America was afraid of the Russian military all through the Cold War.

About shipping saws,  Does anybody seriously want one??

Tom

Buzz-sawyer

I really do like older and simpler equipment...I have maybe 15 old american saws...I would love one...but seeing your are in former USSR? I wonder If I could afford shipping ??? :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

spacemule

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 20, 2005, 12:39:41 PM
SpaceMule, is that a pic of a Russian market Husky or were you having fun with a photo shop? :D  I would have to try one verrry carefully. The possibility of kick back with that setup scares me.
I didn't make it up, but I wouldn't swear it's legitimate.  Here's where I got the information.  http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=19110

Jeff

I am seriously asking what it would take to get one.  :D  Since I'm just a mill rat like everybody else, serious money is spent on groceries and I have to use my "Mad money" on fun stuff. Yes, if affordable, I would really like to have one.

As for the space station, yea like Furby says. In A heart beat.

MULE_MAN

I like that different & unusual stuff I think it neat !!!  I wouldn't mine
having one those saw's   8) 8) 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Furby

I tend to be a bit bias on the Russian side of this topic as my three youngest sisters are from Russia.
I look at it this way, who's to say the standard type chainsaw design in the US, is so superior?
If it is, why do people still get "bit" by chainsaws every day?

I also don't think it's fair for you to use term "typical Russian junk".
Look at all the "junk" that is made in the far eastern countries for the US, that is designed by US engineers.

Tom Sawyer,
Like Jeff said it really comes down to $$$.
$50 US dollars don't sound to bad, but if it's gonna cost another $100 to ship......... ::)
If you can get an idea on shipping without too much trouble, that would help.

spacemule

Quote from: Furby on February 20, 2005, 10:44:28 PM
I tend to be a bit bias on the Russian side of this topic as my three youngest sisters are from Russia.
I look at it this way, who's to say the standard type chainsaw design in the US, is so superior?
If it is, why do people still get "bit" by chainsaws every day?

I also don't think it's fair for you to use term "typical Russian junk".
Look at all the "junk" that is made in the far eastern countries for the US, that is designed by US engineers.

Tom Sawyer,
Like Jeff said it really comes down to $$$.
$50 US dollars don't sound to bad, but if it's gonna cost another $100 to ship......... ::)
If you can get an idea on shipping without too much trouble, that would help.
Heck, man.  $150 would be cheap for such an interesting conversation piece though, wouldn't it?   ;D  I agree on the condescending attitude towards Russians.  If their stuff was such junk, why was the US so worried about them 20 years ago.  Most people condemn things of which they have little to no knowledge of--kind of sad really.  If everyone concentrated on successes instead of failures and only took pride in what they can sensibly take pride in, we would be evolving much more quickly.   :-\

Jason_WI

I have watched too much of the history channel lately. The first russian jets kicked our butts. Launched the first satellite. Their early sub designs after WWII were superior to ours. Their Soyez rocket is still supplying the ISS while our shuttle fleet is grounded due to foam insulation falling off and cracking tiles.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Bernhard

this saw is a russian "Drushba", the same one I own, mine has no bar and no chain. I bought it for around 15 $ in Poland. For felling trees the bar has to be turned for 90°. It has been built until 1990....maybe longer.
The (reversible) Starter will only be attached to the engine for starting it, if the machine runs it will be removed. The reason, why they are building this kinds of saws (which are a bit similar to the Stihl BLK, I own one of them also) that they only have float carbs....not membran ones like the modern saws have...infact also Stihl uses Walbro carbs.
Sorry gentlemen...but You can´t compare rockets or Tanks with the normal stuff people in former russia have to use. The communist government sucked up the people and the states around, likeGDR or Poland, to get food for the USSR people. This saw is only for give the people a tool...nobody ever cares about,if it is safe.....it has to work...and if You don´t have the money to buy a Husky or a stihl.....what would You do????

rebocardo

> You don´t have the money to buy a usky or a stihl.....what would You do?

Buy or build whatever tool it took to fed the family and myself  :)

Sort of like computers. Most people on welfare (public assistance) in the US can take home $600-800 a month AFTER the section 8 (free) housing. So, paying Microsoft $100 for the latest operating system or XBOT upgrade is not as painful as someone in another country who only earns $100 total in two months doing it at a job 12 hours a day six to seven days a week.

I always laugh at the software industry figures on piracy losses attributed to lost sales in other countries. Like 1/2 the population in China using a pirated copy of Windows or Adobe PageMaker could actually save $200-$400 for that one piece of software when that is their whole life's savings, if that, when their disposable income is $5-$10 a month, if that.

imo, The best thing to happen to the Russian people was the internet and Japanese fax machines under $50.00.  ;)

I think some of the scariest machines built where the early American cars with leather bands for brakes and manual engine cranks. I always found the one with an anchor to toss out amusing  :D

Swede

QuoteI think some of the scariest machines built where the early American........................
::)

I think some of the scariest machines built where the early American manual saw mills as Amerika-Sågen and similar! :D :D :D ;) Just two levels, for feeding and for up/down of the saw. Remember when a poor Swede ( no NOK.209 000 for a TK 1600 and another SEK.200 000 for a 4-WD Jeep) had to walk along the 19' frame all day and the customer had to load logs with his tractor and the heavy logs had to be turned and clamped by hand. My arms were long these evenings and body was hurting.

Hope I can start "her" up today and all the new electric stuff works. Just need to find out how to make a more exact circuit breaker for the settings.
That´s the reason I´m not here much now.

But I know Russian people are very good in handicrafts! The Russian National Team in small racingcars (called go-cart here) was driving in the neighborhood. The generator for their old bus (very much leaning to the right)  ::) didn´t work so they needed to be in my work shop for some hours. One man was working, one was telling how to do. A man, I guess 85 Y.O. was rolling cigarettes all the time for him self and the other two men. (Also one for me,  :o don´t ask what was in it.)
After one hour the whole floor 50x28' was full of thin copper wire. At that moment I thuoght they had to stay here for ever.
After 4 hours the generator was put together again and working! All done with just simple tools.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

Never underestimate the viability of a 'make-do' culture.  As for American equipment, it would seem the chainsaws everyone recognizes as the top of the line are made in Germany and Sweden ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

redpowerd

yep, and as the crow flies, how far away are them countries from russia?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!