iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good News Rescue Story !

Started by dancan, October 09, 2010, 07:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

DanG, I agree to a point but there were serious deficiencies that led to the collapse. Apparently the mine had only recently been re opened and had not been thoroughly assessed for hazards. Issues had been identified but not addressed, enforcement seems to have been lax.  There also was no escape route and inadequate supplies for such an emergency. I sure hope governments and the mining industry take the lessons to heart.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

You are right to a point as well, Sawguy.  I can't make a judgement as to the cause of the cave-in, but I'm quite sure that there was an adequate contingency in place, though just barely.  As always, there was a measure of luck involved.  The bad luck was that it caved in to start with, and good luck surely played a part in the rest of the story.  It is just that this is the first major collapse that has had a happy ending, and that is largely due to the safety provisions that had been made in advance.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Okrafarmer

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 14, 2010, 12:01:53 AM
DanG, I agree to a point but there were serious deficiencies that led to the collapse. Apparently the mine had only recently been re opened and had not been thoroughly assessed for hazards. Issues had been identified but not addressed, enforcement seems to have been lax.  There also was no escape route and inadequate supplies for such an emergency. I sure hope governments and the mining industry take the lessons to heart.

I understand what you're saying, but we can hardly manage to keep from collapsing our mines in the USA, so why would we expect better out of Chile? Unlike in our own country-- oh, you're from Canada, I guess-- but unlike in my own country, they actually got their guys out. We had a pretty bad one in West Virginia not too long ago where only one came out alive out of a dozen or so trapped. Kudos for everyone who pulled off this incredible save. Who would have ever thought it was possible?

Could something have been done to prevent this from happening? Almost certainly. But we all live with danger every day. Practically every accident is preventable. But that doesn't mean we can prevent every accident. (I know that sounds like a contradiction, but think about what I'm saying.) What I mean is, if we avoided all danger, we would never get anything done. I can say that as a tree removal foreman, a farmer, and someone who has worked in a huge OSHA compliant sawmill-- and got two separate injuries while there, without breaking any rules in the process.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Warbird

Upon reaching the surface, one of the miners was quoted as saying, "During this ordeal, I met God.  I met Satan.  God won."  :)

Brucer

The heroes behind the scenes:
- the rescue workers who went down and then waited for 33 miners to get sent up ahead of them.
- the guys who ran the hoist.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Faron

You know a guy is at the top of the game when he is pulled off a job and sent half way around the world for an emergency, as was Mr. Hart, who was drilling in Afghanistan.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Roxie

I think that what went right in this situation was the fact that the President of Chile accepted expert help and advice.  He didn't just put a "Noble Prize Winning Physicist" in charge of the project and walk away, he listened to people who had actually been involved in mine rescues, and he used the resources of NASA.  The percussion drill that was used came from a company right here in Chester County, Pennsylvania.  That drill changed the projected rescue date from December to mid-October.  The Chilean government did not contact the drill tip company, they called Chile and Chile listened.  He used medical and psychological experts.  There wasn't one single aspect of that rescue that wasn't considered from every angle, including discussions with miner's that had gone through that experience.  My hat is off to the people of Chile who worked with every available resource to get the job done! 

Say when

Okrafarmer

Good point, Roxie. Now if our president had just listened to all the right experts during the oil spill.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

jim king

That was indeed reality TV and I am sure it was interesting for everyone who does not know much about Chile to see it at work.  The President is popular and the lady who was the last President left office with an 80% approval rating.

It is a country that in fact works very well for being located on a thin long strip of land on a mountainside.  The majority of the Radiatta Pine you see in the US comes from there.

sawguy21

The response to the situation was absolutely top drawer. Everyone involved deserves full recognition. Fortunately, Canada has not had a recent mining disaster although there have been horror stories in the past. I am not sure we would be as successful in our response, to many levels of bureaucracy to overcome.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

~Ron

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Brucer on October 14, 2010, 01:11:49 AM
The heroes behind the scenes:
- the rescue workers who went down and then waited for 33 miners to get sent up ahead of them.
- the guys who ran the hoist.

And their president and his wife.  They spent a lot of time there before the rescue and all the time as they were being brought out.  Not every president and first lady would have hugged 33 guys that hadn't bathed or changed in over two months ;) 
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on October 14, 2010, 10:27:58 AMAnd their president and his wife.  They spent a lot of time there before the rescue and all the time as they were being brought out.  Not every president and first lady would have hugged 33 guys that hadn't bathed or changed in over two months ;)

Yes, you are right-- I think Chile has come out of this shining much more brightly than before-- few people outside of South America know much about Chile and I think this was Chile's time to shine. Expect a lot more international attention on Chile for other reasons for years to come-- more vacations planned there, tourism, business opportunities, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!