iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good story about slabs and a guy who uses them

Started by MP Wall, March 23, 2012, 06:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MP Wall

I don't saw or post much, but I read the forum all the time. I saw this at another site and thought some of the guys who saw slabs might be interested. Skip to about the 5 minute mark to get to the stash of slabs that he has in his shop.

http://www.break.com/index/nick-offermans-amazing-workshop-2311791

MP Wall

JohnM

That was awesome! 8)  I always fine it cool seeing celebrities doing 'real ppl' stuff.  :D  Hellva shop too.  I haven't seen a lot of Parks and Rec but enough to know that he is very funny in it.  Gonna try to make a point to watch it more.  ;D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Hello MP Wall, and thank you for posting that link.  There were several good ideas that could be used to simplify leveling slabs, etc.  Very interesting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave VH

thanks for the post, I got some ideas out of it.  I really appreciate that kind of info.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

shelbycharger400

oooooooo!!!!
I like his shop!   and his slabs in the background!

i have to say look close at 4.25 the endgrain on the leg,     that  leg is goin to warp like u have no idea!
it was slabbed right through the pith.   i have a 25 inch wide piece of boxelder that is like that.. it warped about an inch up/down. 

AK Newbie

Thanks for posting that video!  I have a Birch Burl that is nearly 40 inches in diameter and I got some great ideas for how to level the slabs to make table tops!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Tree Feller

Nick Offerman was featured in Fine Woodworking magazine an issue or two ago (No. 222). He's no doubt a real woodworker with a great shop. Leveling slabs with a router and jig is nothing new but he demonstrates it well in the mag article.

William H. Macy is another actor that is a woodworker. He's an accomplished turner and says that he keeps his lathe on location when filming so that he can turn in-between shooting scenes.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

petefrom bearswamp

Andy Rooney, rest his soul, was a woodworker too. The Walnut desk he sat at on 60 minutes is one of his.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ironwood

I met Andy and his wife at a show in the Adirondacks awhile ago. They came into my booth and we had a fun chat (I loved that guy). Anyhow, I believe his triple crotch desk was a Nakashima piece. I believe he told the story of picking it out from George. Perhaps my memory is wrong but I dont think so. Here is one similar, an "in plane triple crotch" 

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

petefrom bearswamp

Ironwood, did you saw that bad boy? If so how?Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ironwood

Free hand, 72" bar :o Not a bad cut, pretty close 5" one side and 8" on the other. Given the adverse nature of it I was pleased. I still have the main (best ) cut on a pallet, my customer bought it and we havent done anything with it yet. Likely it will just become mine once again.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!