iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saurkraut, need some input on different ways to use it.

Started by drobertson, September 10, 2014, 12:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

A good friend made some really good kraut, like to know of some recipes for dishes that use kraut, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

beenthere

A brat in a bun, add the kraut and enjoy with a beer.

Burlkraft and I used to enjoy the soup at da Rox that was made with kraut. Don't know that recipe, but it was great soup.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

Pork Pot Roast.  Seasoning, Brown it, dump in the Kraut, put on the lid. Simmer 'til tender. Tastes like you cooked with apples.  :)

LeeB

We're pretty fond of it with a good Kielbasa and chunked potatoes. Lots of black pepper and a bit of brown sugar. Boil till the potatoes start to fall apart and it's all well seasoned by the sausage. Great for a cold winter night.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Yep, yep and yep!

I take LeeB's a step further by throwing all that in a oven pan, sprinkle on some caraway seeds, Cheese then bake.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

21incher

I have to agree with beenthere. It is healthy for you however you eat it. Every year I make a couple of small crocks and it is so easy to make. A couple of heads of fresh picked cabbage and a little salt to pull the moisture out and get it fermenting. Plus by making it yourself you can control just how sour it gets.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine made a few big crocks of it last year, but I never got to try any. He has a big antique slicer that belonged to his grandmother that they used together when he was a kid almost 60 years ago. I love kraut. I'll microwave a bowl full of it and eat it straight.  food6
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Well this was a 15 gallon crock, it is good! and the brauts and sausage are good for sure, I was looking for another alternative, thinking a beef thing? anything,  something other than the usual.  thanks guys,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Ok, my wife says "wild goose, sour kraut, mashed potatoes, and crandberry sauce".  Can't say I've ever tried it though, that would be my disclaimer  ;D.

sawguy21

When I was a kid my buddy's mother heated it with pork hocks when I was coming for lunch, I loved the stuff. He and his sister hated me for it. :D Give me a plate with Boston baked beans and I am happy. Of course I will have no friends for the rest of the day. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Compensation

May not be what your looking for but if I don't use it in the crock pot I make some nice hotdogs with it. All beef hot dog with kraut, bacon and thousand island dressing.

Now about that kraut recipe digin1
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

rooster 58

I make a 100 lbs. of it every year. I didn't last year because I was working out of state. I love to use it when I make stuffed cabbage. And I make a roaster full of it with ham, kielbasa, and hot dogs. I place 10-12 potatoes in the bottom, cover with kraut, and put the meat on top. On a cold winter day, ya' just can't beat it ;)

21incher

All this talk about kraut made me start a small batch today. digin1

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

StimW

My favorite way is put Kraut in sauce pan over a whole pack of hot dogs (8) and let simmer.
Serve with a large helping of mashed potatoes with LOTS of butter, salt and pepper!  YUM! Keep it simple.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

5quarter

I have a commercial flat grill in my kitchen and make a lot of grilled sandwiches. I use plenty when making Reubens or Grinders.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

fstedy

8) I like a good Ruben Sandwich. Rye bread, Swiss cheese Saurkraut, Pastrami, Thousand Island Dressing and griller up. MMMMM Good Groceries.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Thank You Sponsors!