iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by dail_h, February 13, 2009, 03:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Dug my first shot o' ramps today,gonna have'm wif country ham,fried taters,fresh cornbread,an sweet tea. Like the guy in the soup commercial says'NUM YUMMY"

Fresh Ramps Makes Ya Friends Love Ya ;D ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

dail_h

I can't hardly belive I'm the onlyest one on the Forestry Forum that eats ramps??????????????? Just finished making some ramp dip to take to the mens bible study/prayer group tonight. "KILLER" The ladies'l all love me for that :D :D :D :D
      Volume Discount At ER

Shotgun

Okay. What are they, "RAPS". or "RAMPS".  And still what are they? I've led a sheltered life.

:D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

DouginUtah

I've never eaten or even heard of them but Answers.com had this:

A plant (Allium tricoccum) related to onions and leeks, having edible underground stems and found in the eastern United States.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

sawguy21

Hmmm. I thought he had renamed Dave Shepherd grits.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dail_h

My bad fellas,in my enthusian ,my typing finger got ahead of itself. It is ramps. I had never eaten them until last spring when I went back to WV. They are sorta a local thing,found mostly in the mountains,and I got addicted to'em . Got a big ol patch right off the hill from the sawmill. Lovem,can't git enuff of'em. Good fried wif taters,'n bacon,in beans or soups ,or salads. My ramp dip eas a hit wif the mens group last night.

Volume Discount At ER

Fredh

We've got Ramps in eastern Ontario but the season doesn't start until about beginning April, right after maple syrup season.  I pick them on my property and sell them to local chefs who go crazy for them.

A lot of people here pickle them. That way you can eat them all year round. Don't forget that the green tops are good too, raw in salads or you can steam them up like spinach, add some butter, salt & pepper....mmmmm.

Dail_h, one thing to be careful of, when you pick them don't pick more than about 1/3 of a patch.  If you pick them all they won't come back next year.  In Quebec, Ramps are classified as an endangered species because they were over-picked, and now you can't pick them at all..big time fines if caught.  And of course NEVER EVER use a shovel.  Just pick by hand.
fred

Ironmower

You got that right, dail_h!! can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

ID4ster

Don't know if we have ramps here though there are some wild onions on the lower portion of the property. I've been digging parsnips up though. All winter in the ground makes them fantastically sweet. Just roast them up with a little olive oil drizzled over them and they'll carmelize on their own from the sugar content. Gotta wait for the cold weather to make 'em good but its sure worth it.  smiley_chef_hat 
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

Thank You Sponsors!