iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

(Claxton) Southern Supreme Fruit Cake Time

Started by Magicman, November 23, 2015, 07:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, the display went up today in our grocery store, and I bought the very first one.

These Fruit Cakes are made with real fruit and nuts and I will probably eat four of them during the Holiday Seasons.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I'll have to try one. I like fruitcake, but haven't had any in years. That's a regular, do they haven an irregular?  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

samandothers

Dave they are in the outlet stores at a lower price!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It sneaked up on me.....yes it is that time of year again.

I was thinking of doing a little Christmas shopping at an auction.  ::) ::) ::)                     :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dnalley

Have one for me 'cause I can't eat 'um.

WV Sawmiller

MM,

That's tempting. A good old Claxton fruit cake (I actually prefer the dark ones over the regular) and a quart or so of cold milk sure sounds good. Used to get them from various fund raising groups. I did see some in local grocery store here last week but wife had just bought makings for homemade so we passed on them.

If you ever drive through Claxton Ga. you will see the city limits sign has a legend " Fruitcake capital of the world". (I heard a Texas friend once said that a town in Texas owned that title but I digress).

When I was in USMC stationed at Parris Island once had to take a detail down to do a military funeral for an old former Marine there. (Funerals are actually much easier when you did not know the person but still no fun. Dad used to say he hated funerals and only had to go to one more and just as soon someone else when in his place.) Only time I remember passing through there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Google "Fruitcake capital of the world" for some interesting reading.  And yes, there are two cities that make that claim.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

We have a local Catholic Church that makes great fruit cakes every year. Usually get a few, but don't pass out any as gifts... mostly because don't really know if they are appreciated.
I've always enjoyed a good fruitcake... even the ones my Mom made once but forgot an important ingredient so the "cakes" didn't rise when baked. They were solid fruit and nuts and things. Very dense but to me, very good.
Mom was mortified.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

No Claxton here but I look forward to the dark although I will rein myself in this year. I want to be down five lbs by Christmas but it is going to be tough staying out of the treats. I am honestly surprised that so many don't like fruit cake.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

I would love to try one from the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX, but I'll bet the shipping would be a deal breaker.   :-\

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on November 23, 2015, 10:15:50 PM
I would love to try one from the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX, but I'll bet the shipping would be a deal breaker.   :-\

MM,

I'd think the Texas cakes would be closer than Claxton.

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 23, 2015, 09:56:29 PM
No Claxton here but I look forward to the dark although I will rein myself in this year. I want to be down five lbs by Christmas but it is going to be tough staying out of the treats. I am honestly surprised that so many don't like fruit cake.

SG21,

Lose 5 lbs by Christmas? Don't your remember the old TV commercial about "A waist is a terrible thing to mind?" (Or was it a mind is a terrible thing to waste?).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scgargoyle

Not a big fan of the Claxton 'door stops', but I do remember my sister making a good one that was soaked in rum for a long period of time. The rest of the details are a bit fuzzy..... :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 24, 2015, 05:55:46 AMI'd think the Texas cakes would be closer than Claxton.
You are correct, 200 miles closer, but the Claxton's are one mile away in the grocery store. 

samandothers

WV Sawmiller
Love that saying! I'll use that one I am sure!

sawguy21

Joanne Woodward said that about hubby Paul Newman's passion for race cars.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

They have gotten so expensive that I wait untill the day after christmas, go to Walmart and buy what they have left at 80% off. :D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Chuck White

I'm the only one in this house that likes fruitcake.

A friend of mine said (just the other day) I wish I knew someone who likes fruitcake, because I usually get one of the big ones from a coworker and "we don't like it" never tried it, don't want to, and it usually just gets thrown in the trash.

I told him to send it my way.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on November 23, 2015, 10:15:50 PM
I would love to try one from the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX
We had a very nice surprise waiting beside the door when we got home last night.  A Forestry Forum Friend had apparently decided that I needed to make a "taste test" and had a Collin Street Bakery Fruit Cake sent to us.

This is what was inside of the box.

And this nicely presented Fruitcake was inside of the tin.

Very moist and sticky.  I had the Official Taster (who is an outspoken critic of and dislikes fruitcake) help me decide. 

Sorry Claxton, but the decision was unanimous.  The Collin Street Bakery Fruit Cake Wins !!!   food6

Thank You Glenn.   :)

WV Sawmiller

Sorry MM but the sample was too small and requires a larger taste test from a much bigger panel of judges. I think it would only be fair for you to send us all samples of both and let us come to a consensus verdict on this critical issue.
Howard Green

Magicman

Yes I could, but after careful consideration, I will be keeping it all for myself.

I ate another slice of each after lunch and one difference became apparent; the Claxton fruitcake is filled with raisins, which gives it an overwhelming raisin taste.  Now I like raisins and eat them on my breakfast cereal, but the Collin fruitcake has a much more nutty and delicate taste.  It is now my new favorite.   :)

I will use slices of the Claxton fruitcake for "trail bars".

Magicman

Oh My,  Now an anonymous Collin Street Bakery Fruitcake has arrived with only a sweet message; "Y'all do so much for others!  Enjoy".   These are really good and Pat has realized that she does like Fruitcake so we now have our very own.  Thanks to a Special Forestry Forum Friend.....somewhere.

Dave Shepard

I picked up a fruitcake at lunch time, but it was not a Claxton or a Collin. Wasn't bad, but I'll keep looking for something better.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

I have heard there is a few fruit cakes here on the forum.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Yup, you just confirmed what I was thinking.   :)

Magicman

I enjoyed a slice of Collin Street Fruitcake with my coffee this morning.  food6

Let's see, it has pecans, cherries, corn syrup, wheat flour, pineapple, raisins, eggs, honey, soybean oil, papaya, & orange peel. smiley_headscratch  All of the stuff that could be eaten for breakfast.    smiley_idea

Thank You Sponsors!