iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

1 more Nor-easter and I'm getting on a plane for Tampa / Ft Lauderdale. 😂 Both of my skidders are back in on private roads, 460 isn't to bad, the road my 440D is on the town gave up on, it's almost 2 miles in from the black top, I'm not excited about snowshoeing in. 👎 

that's the east end of the sawmill, that was cleaned out after the first storm. 

starmac

Barge, when I first bought my log truck the first sale I worked on was 30 miles off the road, we have not finished that one yet, but did finish the next one which was 33 miles to the end of the road, and the logger had to keep every inch of it up. We moved back out to a new sale that is only 11 miles in, should start monday.

A couple of times this year we had to shut down till he could plow the whole road, plus cut the trees that had bent over the road, only to have to do it all again before we ever got back in. Mother nature has not been kind this year, plus much of the time it was too warm, and our stinking snow was more like lower 48 snow, it is snowing as I beat on this keyboard.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

BargeMonkey

I was cutting wood in a T-shirt not to long ago that's the depressing part. This area in the state isn't set up to handle huge volumes of snow, we typically don't get what western NY does, this warms up quick we will need a raft. We plow alot of these private subdivision roads, people out of NYC who aren't the brightest sometimes, cabin stuffed back in the woods 1-2 miles in. "Burnt-Rossman" is the biggest patch of state land in my county and some of that gets out there, still not comparable to Alaska or out west. 

starmac

This area generally does not get a lot of snow, but what we get stays till breakup, we have been unseasonably warm all winter for the most part, but she hasn't started melting yet, once it does logging is done till freeze up, unless we have an exceptionally hot dry summer.

mike_belben

No snow in middle TN.  One less thing to get in the way of working on all the other things in the way.  
Praise The Lord

coxy

Quote from: mike_belben on March 17, 2018, 10:08:54 AM
No snow in middle TN.  One less thing to get in the way of working on all the other things in the way.  
hey mike you know what you can do with that comment :D :D :D :D :D :D 

mike_belben

Bury it in new york so you guys can see it again in june?
Praise The Lord

coxy

i heard someone is getting transferred to Tennessee and i know where you live :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 

coxy

i keep telling     how nice it is down there and how much logging is going on  :D :D :D :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

mike_belben

No no, you can keep mother theresa up there.  Tennessee is already saved!   :D
Praise The Lord

coxy

BargeMonkey

We always used to laugh on the boat when we went to the GOM because they figured a crew of predominantly NY-MA-ME guys couldn't take the heat, a cold NE winter would thin the herd of our southern employees quick 😂 The thing I give the south credit for is there's 100x more critters waiting to kill you, East Texas / S Lousiana is a whole diff world. 

There's still 2-3' in the woods. 👎 Put tires on in the morning, I lack about 80-90 trees + firewood to get packed up and move. 

It's hard to tell in the picture, standing on the deck it's even better, that's one of the nicest views I've cut, doing another one on the backside of the mountain for another guy. 

starmac

Now, how many people do you know in Texas or Louisiana that done got theirself kilt by a critter, heck probably more get killed by a horse than any wild critter.

TKehl

A friend of mine offered to help us cut firewood for letting him hunt deer.  He's from WI and kept cussing about how everything down "south" had thorns and was trying to kill him.  Of course we were working Honey Locust and there were blackberries and multiflora rose around... ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

nativewolf

Quote from: starmac on March 19, 2018, 02:56:17 AM
Now, how many people do you know in Texas or Louisiana that done got theirself kilt by a critter, heck probably more get killed by a horse than any wild critter.
Something I always found funny.  Loggers complaining about snakes, killing snakes, spiders, etc.  When the very equipment they are using, of their own free will and on purpose, is the most dangerous thing they will ever see in the woods.  If a logger wants to see dangerous, just look in the mirror.  
Now the stuff will irritate you, multiflora rose 15' high, chiggers & ticks, etc etc.  But if you want really dangerous just look at ourselves.   I offended a potential job applicant who wanted to show his stuff as a feller, no helmet, no chaps (did have good boots), no ear protection, no eye protection, and was stating he'd shoot any snake he saw.  I just couldn't stop laughing, sent him on his way.
Liking Walnut

teakwood

Hey! You can get used to anything. 

we do not even have snakes or any dangerous animal in Switzerland and now i'm in the jungle logging where almost every crawling insect bites, stings or urinate at you , and i'm not complaining. after some time it gets normal
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

barbender

Biting or stinging I can grudgingly get used to, but stuff that urinates at me is where I would have to head back north. That sounds like something a goat would do😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

teakwood

I am talking about ants and other flying insects. it's not that a large mammals will urinate on you
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Lately im just cutting dirt to level up my unloading site.  

Before

Presently

Dug up about a hundred blocks yesterday.  Wore me out. 

Praise The Lord

Ken

Quote from: teakwood on March 19, 2018, 08:25:55 PM
Hey! You can get used to anything.

we do not even have snakes or any dangerous animal in Switzerland and now i'm in the jungle logging where almost every crawling insect bites, stings or urinate at you , and i'm not complaining. after some time it gets normal

Nope  Can't see me getting used to poisonous snakes and insects.  Don't mind the cold weather.  Our snow load lends itself well to keeping those critters at bay
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ken

I'm working about 45 minutes from home and there is considerably less snow.  Although we do a lot of clear cuts we are doing some commercial thinning at the moment along with some overstory removal. 

nativewolf

Ken, what type of forwarder do you have there?  We are thinking of getting one, looking at all the forum advice.  
Liking Walnut

Ken

Quote from: nativewolf on March 20, 2018, 09:09:53 PM
Ken, what type of forwarder do you have there?  We are thinking of getting one, looking at all the forum advice.  

That machine is a Ponsse Buffalo.  It showed up on the jobsite all shiny and new on Valentines day.  Still works like a new one

BargeMonkey

I figured with new 7/8 tight ring the snow wouldn't be to bad, I was wrong 😂
</br></br>
 Went down and tried, snow was running in my saw boots, 2-3' of compact snow still, greased everything and parked it, come back in a week or so, got another 40acre job to cut on this road so no rush. 
</br></br>
</br></br>  I hate starting another job but there's no snow outside Albany, get her and my 440D moved Friday. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!