iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

IMPORTANT FORUM ANNOUNCMENT

Started by Jeff, December 28, 2017, 03:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It has been near 8 years since we moved the forum to it's current server. Early 2010.  In Internet years, that is an eternity.  We have now outlasted the usefulness and functionality of our server.  I can no longer update our forum software due to the outdated supporting software on the server.  I am not longer able to upgrade the supporting software due to the outdated and now end of life version of the Linux Debian Operating System. We have also used up a lot of our physical memory and  many times taxing our RAM  So we have to move.  No easy task.   

Many of the slow-downs in the last couple months is due to some of these things. Trying to run back ups of an ever increasing database and supporting files, as well as the tools to fight off all the badguys all take RAM that we at times don't have enough of.

I've set in motion the creation of our new bigger badder up-to-date server.  Once it is installed, I'll be doing some preliminary moving and testing. At some point, I will need to shut the gallery down first. It may be a couple three days before the final move. All the pictures will be there in the posts, but there will not be  way to add new ones until we are ready on the new machine.

Once I am confident that the new server will support the forum, and have the bugs worked out, we will make the move. I will put the forum into maintenance mode so the database can not be altered as I back it up and prepare it for the move. Once backed up, it will then be installed on the new server. If that goes right, then at that point we will point the forestry forum address to the new server.   

Potential trouble spots when we first get moved.

Potentially bookmarks may fail. You may need to type in the address and make a new bookmark
our search function may not work right away, as that is a third party software that I do not know id is compatible with the new operating system.

Others I may not even have considered.

I'll try to give everyone as much of a heads-up when and where and what as possible. It could be within the next week. I somehoe picked up the flu, so, sitting and thinking is about all im able to do right now anyhow, I just can't make a mistake on what my job is related to where I am sitting. ;)

Wish me luck!  I'm dreading this as much as the last time it had to happen.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

petefrom bearswamp

Good luck to our fearless Leader!!
May your bugs be few.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Yes,I wish you luck.
Got my fingers crossed too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

catalina

Thanks Jeff, may the force of the porcelain gods be with you! Get well!!

justallan1

Luck? We don't need no stinking luck! We have The Jeff.

Jeff

Problem is, the Jeff ain't what he use ta be.  :-\

wesdor

Thanks for your work making this upgrade. Hope the flu leaves you soon.

This all sounds like a lot of hard work AND COSTLY.  I suggest anyone that wants to assist should go to the main page and click on Support Forestry Forum with PayPal. 

coxy

Quote from: justallan1 on December 28, 2017, 05:02:14 PM
Luck? We don't need no stinking luck! We have The Jeff.
:D :D
Quote from: Jeff on December 28, 2017, 05:03:34 PM
your right your better  8) 8) 8) 8)     

dustintheblood

I don't do facechat or snapbook, but I suspect that this may eclipse the withdraws that the teenagers go into when those new fangled internets go down for 5min.

Fortunately Jeff, you are the host for many considerate and patient and very grateful folks who won't blink an eye as you work your wizardry ways.  Thank you again for the hard work and dedication to our community.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Roxie

Okay, so that explains the new avatar.   :-*
Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This would be a good time to visit IAN for a week where it is warm while you work Boss.  ;D
Good Luck Jeff.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

chet

Quote from: Jeff on December 28, 2017, 05:03:34 PM

Yup, yer pushin' dat big 6-"O"  :D :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Yea, I don't think it's da age. I tink it's da wear and tear. I said dat in yooper sois it dint get by ya. Which reminds me of dat sumpthin.

coxy

your going to be 60  :o  wow thats  old  :D :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

chet

So yer  say'n it's dat time agin.  8)

We might as well send dis server out wit a bang. ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

ronwood

Jeff,

Hope you will feel better. If I can be of any help please feel to contact me and I will see if I can assist you. Major updates can be tricky.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

runmca

Good luck Jeff!

You can always refer to this for help - http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer  ;)

DelawhereJoe

OH NO.....it can't go down for a few days...I'll start to get the jitters, shakes, probably start sweating uncontrollably, followed by insomnia, chills, fever, boils....I may even go comatose....
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Jeff

The plan is for a few hours over one night my time.

Chop Shop

Any complications moving the "FF toolbox"?

Wood Shed

Thank you again for the hard work and dedication to our community.  BTW, would you happen to be one of the many who got the flu shot and still got the flu?  Hope you feel better soon.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Jeff

Quote from: Chop Shop on December 28, 2017, 09:53:47 PM
Any complications moving the "FF toolbox"?

No, that's very easy.

Quote from: Wood Shed on December 28, 2017, 10:04:05 PMBTW, would you happen to be one of the many who got the flu shot and still got the flu?  Hope you feel better soon.

Nope, I didn't get a shot.

Jjoness4

May the grain be with you.  ;D You da man, Jeff.
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

maple flats

Jeff's going to be 60, I can't even remember that far back! You're still young.
Jeff, my prayers are for your quick recovery and for an easy as possible transition to the new server. Good luck.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!