iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Blue birds love the berries the tree produces too. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

It is in the Blanket Chest family.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I Cee dem logs quite often when I am sawing.  Ceems dat everyone has a couple.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

I hope that y'all enjoyed today's tree of the day.  I do not know if the one's pictured are Southern Redcedar or Eastern Redcedar, Juniperus silicicola or Juniperus virginiana respectively.  I have never been able to tell a difference between them.
Caveman

caveman

Today's tree of the day.  Often these will be found growing on sand hills along with longleaf pine and sand pine.  
Caveman

WDH

Great for decorating the Thanksgiving table. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

But it probably doesn't taste as good as it's namesake. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Weekend_Sawyer

With those hints I guessed it right away!
I never knew of such a tree!

We used to call people that in the 70's when they acted stoopid!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Don P

Oh he's all right but he's a quercuss

WDH

caveman

Turkey Oak (Quercus laevis).  They laevis eggs.
Caveman

caveman

Today's tree of the day.  These are two spindly boys are growing along the fence. 

Caveman

WDH

Getting a little rusty on my tree ID as well as working too hard, so I need to take my golf clubs and head to the golf course for a little R&R and practice my tree ID on some of the woods there :)

LeeB

Some might say you have a black heart Danny, but I think it's just throw back to one of your distant cousins.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don P

American ebony :)

Quote from: caveman on May 22, 2019, 10:56:02 PM
Turkey Oak (Quercus laevis).  They laevis eggs.

If you sing the rooster song "since that quercus came in our yard" you'll get my opinion of oaks, not even the turkey is safe :D

stanmillnc

Persimmon. Good hints WDH using the golf club reference - old golf club heads were made from persimmon wood because it is so dense.

thedoublejranch

Quote from: caveman on May 11, 2019, 08:48:56 AM

Today's tree of the day pictured here may be several years old already.

New growth on a lateral bud.

This tree was under attack by pine sawflies.  This one lived, while the 125 year old one on my side of the fence died after the hurricane and pine sawfly infestation. I thought it might have a chance until I noticed the ambrosia beetle dust accumulating around the base.

These were some JMoore and I cut on a house lot.  Notice the size of the twigs and that the needles grow at the end of the them.  The needles are three to the fascicle.

It may be tough to see but the bark is very flaky and that is one of the features that enables this species to be very fire tolerant.  Coincidently, it also provides a great habitat for scorpions.

This tree may have endured a lightning strike.
Break out the diesel fuel to keep the blade clean and sawing relatively flat.

I do not expect it will take long for this tree of the day to be identified.  
Ponderosa Pine
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

caveman

Quote from: thedoublejranch on May 23, 2019, 10:47:37 PM
Quote from: caveman on May 11, 2019, 08:48:56 AM

Today's tree of the day pictured here may be several years old already.

New growth on a lateral bud.

This tree was under attack by pine sawflies.  This one lived, while the 125 year old one on my side of the fence died after the hurricane and pine sawfly infestation. I thought it might have a chance until I noticed the ambrosia beetle dust accumulating around the base.

These were some JMoore and I cut on a house lot.  Notice the size of the twigs and that the needles grow at the end of the them.  The needles are three to the fascicle.

It may be tough to see but the bark is very flaky and that is one of the features that enables this species to be very fire tolerant.  Coincidently, it also provides a great habitat for scorpions.

This tree may have endured a lightning strike.
Break out the diesel fuel to keep the blade clean and sawing relatively flat.

I do not expect it will take long for this tree of the day to be identified.  
Ponderosa Pine
That was a longleaf pine.  If there is a Ponderosa pine growing around here, it took a wrong turn and is hopelessly lost.
Caveman

caveman

I have not quite mastered capturing another's quote.  Anyway, I was trying to say that the tree in question by thedoublejranch was a longleaf pine.

The sap from today's tree may cause a similar reaction to the skin as poison ivy exposure.

These leaves are 8-11" long.  This tree is growing in the backyard of a coworker.  It would not have survived to this size at my house which is only 15 miles north and quite a bit lower.  This tree does not have much tolerance for cold weather.  I have never sawed or turned this wood but the pictures I have seen of it would make it a worthwhile venture.
Caveman

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

caveman

It is a native of Asia.  
Today's tree also produces a tasty fruit that enhances the flavor of vanilla ice cream
T
Caveman

Don P

I've never seen the tree that I know of, but from your description this morning of the PI reaction I was wondering if it was a mango, apparently so.
Our snowbird friends should be back soon, we trade them for zucchini and squash all summer, works for me ;D

From yesterday, persimmon is in the ebony family.
Inside the seeds is a set of flatware.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

caveman

Today's tree is a mango (Mangifera indica).  My folks have a couple at their beach house.  I hope to be able to get down there at the end of next month.  They should be getting ripe by then.  The Dang squirrels and rats will ruin a good amount of the fruit.

Rob, today's tree was almost going to be a loquat.  The loquat leaves are similar in size and shape but it is serrated and the texture is not slick and waxy like the mango leaves and the color of the loquat leaves is darker and duller green.  Our loquat trees produced a prolific crop of loquats this year.  They were sweeter and a little larger than normal too.  
Caveman

tule peak timber

Super, remembering back-the serrated and "dusty" leaves.White and yellow different fruits. I've been up here on the mountain too long :D
   Can I  still have the ice cream.........with sprinkles ?
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!