iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2019 WV Catfish

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 14, 2019, 10:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Figured I'd just put this in as a thread and update it through the summer as the occasions occur.

An unexpected weather changing in October caught me without replenishing my catfish supply. I'd given everything I caught away as I caught it thinking I will stock up on my next trip. Weather and work cooperated for a few days catfishing but the bait are less so. I set several minnow traps in the creek in the front yard yesterday but the water is up a bit and the minnows and chubs aren't restricted to just the deep holes which is more ideal bait catching conditions. I only caught about 3 dozen and even kept a small crawfish or two. I crush the bigger ones and put them back in the trap for bait as I have poor results for catfish on big crawfish. I loaded Sampson, my catfish hound, up in the boat today and we hit the landing at Bluestone Lake 8.5 miles away and tried our rockpile where we normally catch lots of small sunfish and bluegills for bait. Today it was windy and very cool and I only caught 8-9 so I crossed the lake to get away from the wind. I drifted up to a big hickory log I was going to put a dropline/bushhook on. I hooked a decent crappie on my bait pole but the #10 cricket hook did not have enough bite to land him so I swapped poles to one with a #4 hook and put a small minnow on. I landed a 1-1.25 lb crappie but my time was getting short so I put my first line out with him on for bait. If something gets him it should be a good one. If not I will take him home and eat him.

I put out about 40 more hooks till I ran out of bait so I checked the lines and had one 4 lb and one 9.5 lb channel cat and about a 3/4 lb crappie on one line. I just rehooked the crappie and put him back in the same spot. I'll go ahead and take up my lines in the morning and try again when bait is more available. I could buy some big minnows or goldfish but that would be sort of like buying lumber. Catching the fish on my own bait is have the battle. We have enough fillets now to feed us several meals and hopefully I'll have several more in the morning as they bite much better after dark most of the time. We will see.

Poor location for the photo with the shadow. 9.5 & 4 lb channel cats.

Probably close to 10 lbs of catfish fillets from those 2.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Okay I left the house at 0638 and had the boat unloaded at the landing by 0700. I have gotten that down to a pretty quick routine.

My 1lb crappie had escaped or gotten eaten. The hook was on an underwater limb. I had another hook hung on a log under the water. I had to cut it and lost the lead and hook. Could have been a catfish or maybe just an active bait got it hung. My 3/4 lb crappie was still on the line so brought him home for lunch. I had one 3.5 lb channel cat and one nearly 4 lb blue cat. I'd rather not catch our blues as only ones with any restrictions - 2 per day limit and 24" minimum. This one was about 26-27 inches long. My next to last hook had a 17.5 lb flathead so I still had a decent mess and will likely have a fish fry here later this month or next month. We meet monthly somewhere and I try to host a fish fry 1-2 times a year. We always have a great time at it.

I'll try again in a week or so and hopefully the bait will cooperate and I can stock up some more.

My 18' Johnboat, 25 HP Evinrude & 13 lb Catfish hound Sampson. He had a great time trying to tear up every catfish we landed today.

Our morning catch - about 25 lbs total. Biggest is 17.5 lb flathead.

A big pan full of catfish fillets and one crappie. Probably 17-18 lbs of fish. ready for the corn meal and corn oil.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

What time should I be there for dinner? 
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Just let me know when you will be in the area and I'll put the water for the grits on the stove, put the baked beans in the oven, grate the cabbage for the cole slaw and start heating up the grease. :D You'll have to make your own hushpuppies though as that is not my forte. :(
Howard Green

Chuck White

Nice mess of filets!  digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

OK, I will make the hushpuppies. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Great. I'll get a bag of boiled peanuts out of the freezer so we can have authentic southern hors d'oeuvres while we wait for the fish and hushpuppies to fry. 
Howard Green

thecfarm

Just fish for me.  ;D  Fun to read your fish stories.  Sampson has a good time I see.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Ray,

Just because hushpuppies are made from cornmeal, they are nothing like grits. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

That's right - they are better. Well, maybe not better but just as good in a little different kind of way.

I got my new Lowrance depth finder yesterday and today's goal is to install it.
Howard Green

thecfarm

Well I never had hushpuppies so would have to try them. As long as I don't have to mix it with something to make it taste good :D ,I will give it a try.
But the beans you can have. Might eat a little,but hate to take up space for the meat. ;D   We had beans just about every Saturday. That brown bread I still like. But most times pass the beans on to the person beside me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

I'm betting you would like hushpuppies. A little butter just takes 'em up a notch.

We could have a hushpuppie cookoff.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

I have never in my whole life heard of butter on hushpuppies. :o  Are you one of those who puts sugar on your grits too? ::)

My wife cooked the first mess of catfish last night along with the crappie. She about burned one side of him to a crisp but the other was perfect. Cole slaw, baked beans (with little cross cut hot dogs in them) and well done tater tots. We had a young friend came over who does our IT work. He took most of the leftovers home for his dad.

Maybe we should meet at Poston's place for the hushpuppy challenge as he looks to be about half way from Danny to you. I can bring the fish because you have to have the fish flavor in the grease.
Howard Green

btulloh

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 17, 2019, 07:48:01 AMAre you one of those who puts sugar on your grits too?

:D:D:D  Sugar on grits!!  :D:D   Blechhhhhhh!!!

Butter may be unusual and unnecessary, but sometimes it happens.  Restaurants bring butter sometimes with the order of hushpuppies.  

See y'all at the Poston Hushpuppie Project. :D 
HM126

WDH

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: btulloh on May 17, 2019, 08:07:26 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 17, 2019, 07:48:01 AMAre you one of those who puts sugar on your grits too?

:D:D:D  Sugar on grits!!  :D:D   Blechhhhhhh!!!

Butter may be unusual and unnecessary, but sometimes it happens.  Restaurants bring butter sometimes with the order of hushpuppies.  

See y'all at the Poston Hushpuppie Project. :D
They brought the butter to put on your grits. :D If you order in a real classy restaurant down south they already have the butter in the grits and the extra butter is for the biscuits.
Quote from: WDH on May 17, 2019, 08:08:53 AM
I am in.
We might ought to ask the host and figure how many are coming so we have enough fish and you know how much hushpuppy batter to mix up.

Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

I am worn out and Sampson is hoarse. We put out lines last night. I ran them one time after dark. I had 7 fish that weighed 38 lbs total. The biggest was about 10 lbs. I lost one on the same line I caught the 17.5 lb fish on last week. I got to him about 8:30 pm and the line was raring. He looked like a Troy Landry Tree Shaker pulling the limber limb completely under water. Just as I reached for the line it was like an evil Djinn untied it and I watched the pink flagging with my name on it I use for markers sliding underwater. I am sure it was operator error and just a poorly tied knot but why did he have to wait till I was 3' away to watch it? I have lost a lot of fish and they were all big ones - that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

Top 3 weighed 25 lbs, other 4 weight 13 total. I staked them out in the creek overnight to clean today.

I went back this morning and had 11 more fish plus a 2 lb blue that was undersized per state regs so he is back in the lake. Total 74 lbs including a 22 lb flathead.

11 fish.

Smallest 7 fish - 27 lbs total

Largest fish - 22 lb flathead

78 lbs of fish yielded a 5 gallon bucket full of fillets - 42 lbs of boneless fillets. 20 more lbs of fillets off the first 38 lbs so 62 lbs total. I see fish fries ahead.

I cleaned fish till 2:00 pm. I saw a couple there about 5:30 pm running a trotline and I watched them take fish off what looked like 5-6 hooks in a row. All looked to be about 4-5 lbs. I don't know how many total they caught. They caught their fish on the bottom in 20+ feet of water on shiners. Most of mine were in the top 2' on minnows and small bream.
Howard Green

Magicman

Sampson is doing well, and you ain't doing bad yourself.  ;D

A Grandson sent me this picture of him with his largest from this past weekend.

50 pounds caught on a trotline baited with Catalpa worms.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Fishing envy....Don't get me started 8) 8) 8) 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

Are big ones like the 50 pounder fit to eat?

doc henderson

He looks just like Tule, ....and the grandson looks like magic man ... 60 years ago!!!   ;D
i am no fish expert but most things coated in beer and breading and deep fat fried taste pretty good.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Loving these fishing stories.
My wife and I are going next weekend to our favourite lake - to see if the ice has melted off yet.  ;)

Road trip - I'm in too!!

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

Quote from: Andries on May 21, 2019, 09:22:57 PM
My wife and I are going next weekend to our favourite lake - to see if the ice has melted off yet.  ;)

Road trip - I'm in too!!
Stay away from my brook trout !!!!!!!!!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Andries

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 21, 2019, 09:36:15 PM
Quote from: Andries on May 21, 2019, 09:22:57 PM
My wife and I are going next weekend to our favourite lake - to see if the ice has melted off yet.  ;)

Road trip - I'm in too!!
Stay away from my brook trout !!!!!!!!!
Rest easy Rob - I'll stay away from that World Record beauty in Nipigon.
They are clever rascals though. . . . 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Rob,

I assume you are not warning me about those brook trout. You know if I had them I'd put them on for bait. :D

Danny,

I don't know about how 50 lb channel and blue cats taste but flatheads stay tender when they are close to that size or bigger.

I got back to the lake about 5:30 pm and fished for bait till nearly dark then started baiting and checking my lines. I had a 7-8 lb channel on one hook and another at the end of my lines about the same size. On the way back I had a 23 lb flathead on the same hook I caught the first channel. I picked up 2 more flaheads. Total weight 61 lbs for 5 fish. I have them cooling their heels in the creek in my front yard and will clean them tomorrow. No pictures tonight but I'll get some tomorrow plus I still have to check the lines about daylight again. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I am pretty good at skinning and filleting catfish but based on my speed I don't have people knocking on my doors to hire me as a fish monger.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!