iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my dream Shop

Started by Geeg, November 28, 2012, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

What a great thread you have going here!  I'm enjoying catching up on the pics and progress.  I really love the way the siding came out on the shack.  Are you going to stain it?  If so, with what?

I've been working on my own project, which I may just mill some live edge siding for now, after seeing your photos.  (My "project" consists of a small chicken coop, not exactly a shack by your standards  :D)

Is the excavator yours, or the contractors?  I rented a mini ex kubota and about fell in love. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Geeg

Quote from: Piston on October 11, 2015, 07:45:32 PM
What a great thread you have going here!  I'm enjoying catching up on the pics and progress.  I really love the way the siding came out on the shack.  Are you going to stain it?  If so, with what?

I've been working on my own project, which I may just mill some live edge siding for now, after seeing your photos.  (My "project" consists of a small chicken coop, not exactly a shack by your standards  :D)

Is the excavator yours, or the contractors?  I rented a mini ex kubota and about fell in love.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your accolades, I managed to also get the stain done just before leaving, took about 4 hours. We used http://www.valhalco.com/ lifetime wood treatment, and used a hand sprayer, in the pics you can see from the start to the finish with the last pic there is a change in colour to the wood, this happens hours after spraying. It was easy to apply and I think it looks great and also knowing that there is nothing to do in the future to protect the wood is a plus!

The kubota excavator was a friends who help me out a little with clearing some bush, but sure wish it was mine as I could think of many things to do with it.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Windyhill

Geeg

Shop Update. Well, Its been 2 years and the shop is finally back in my sites, been busy with other projects and one thing leads to another and your shop just ends up filling with stuff, amazing how that happens :D

Emptied the shop to install all the insulation, got a quote and decided to do it myself. I do however after completing this project respect the heck out of this trade but have decided that I will never install insulation, ever again. I started with having to strap the entire ceiling with 1x3 16" on centre since the truss system was spaced at 24". The insulation bats were able to slide in between the strapping. I used R22 Rockwall and doubled them up between trusses giving me R44 in the roof. Single bats of R22 went into the wall and with the 2" foam gives us R32 in the walls.

I also built a second story above the finishing room and office, I will dig out some photos of this. There was substantial time spent on electrical that needed to be added to the shop as well to make sure we have enough light throughout the building since we don't have many windows.

Buddy our, rescue dog. Very loyal and a little to smart at times.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

samandothers

Wow just looking at all that insulation made me tired.  I also reread the thread. I really admire the work you and your wife performed on the house and 'shack'.  

I really dislike painting but dislike paying so much for something I can do, though usually no where as good as a professional.  I bet you got pretty good at painting by the end of your house adventures!  What finish did you use on your frame?

Y'all have done a very nice job, looks good!  

Geeg

Quote from: samandothers on August 10, 2018, 10:22:47 AM
Wow just looking at all that insulation made me tired.  I also reread the thread. I really admire the work you and your wife performed on the house and 'shack'.  

I really dislike painting but dislike paying so much for something I can do, though usually no where as good as a professional.  I bet you got pretty good at painting by the end of your house adventures!  What finish did you use on your frame?

Y'all have done a very nice job, looks good!  
Thank you, Its been a long road but worth every minute we have spent on it and have saved so much doing it this way. We used a double boil linseed oil mixed with some minwax, not sure the colour but can hunt it down if your interested. Thanks again for your accolades.
Geeg

samandothers

No need to look it up.  We may use Heritage on our frame.  I don't think I will be staining it though, not fond of heights! I also don't want to hold the builder up.

What will be the primary function of your 'shack'?

Geeg

Ya, I was not really fond of heights as well but after awhile you kind of get use to it. The primary function of the shack will be manufacturing of wood products, funny I just got notice (wife) that it will be called the studio and not the shack and she talks about her studio when talking to other people, think I just lost my man space... dang :-\

Geeg

Got a quote on drywall :o, decided to just do it myself, how hard could it be ::)

Pic of the upper floor completed.

Rented a skyjack to put up the drywall, should make the job much easier. Had to fork it up the hill since the skyjack was just spinning its wheels.

First load of drywall.

J 5

Just went through your thread , amazing job , that's going to be a great spot to call home when you decide to retire .   Congrats .
                                                J 5

DWyatt

Quote from: Geeg on August 13, 2018, 02:14:42 AM
Got a quote on drywall :o, decided to just do it myself, how hard could it be ::)
I suppose you will find out :D If it's like many of my projects that I "save money" by doing myself, you will be happy you didn't hire someone and at the same time under your breath you will be cussing yourself for not hiring someone :D 
Good Luck and Amazing work on all of the buildings! 8)

samandothers

Stagger the seams!  I have known someone who did not do that.   ::)    I'll admit I didn't do the finishing. 

Judging by the rest of your work you will do a great job!

Ljohnsaw

Nice trailer - doesn't look like it had any trouble with that load!  Putting the sheet rock up is the easy part.  ;) Buy (HF) or rent a lift for the rock since you got 12' goods.  Then, hire someone to tape and mud it!  That's where the art comes in.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TimFromNB

Just tuning in...great work!

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 13, 2018, 09:39:03 AM
Nice trailer - doesn't look like it had any trouble with that load!  Putting the sheet rock up is the easy part.  ;) Buy (HF) or rent a lift for the rock since you got 12' goods.  Then, hire someone to tape and mud it!  That's where the art comes in.
I second hiring someone to tape and mud. That was the most time consuming part for my drywall install a couple of years ago. Tradesmen theses days can tape & mud way faster than you and it always looks cleaner too. 
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Geeg

Got the stairs up, just tacked in for now. They were a little tight but does not interfere with door access. I plan on doing all the taping and muding myself, I am kind of looking forward to giving it a try, besides I just can't see paying for something that I could do.

Including a video (at the bottom) link of the ceiling panel install. I built a 2x4 frame on the skylift with the ceiling pitch so that it would make installing the panels easier. The drywall was the new light weight stuff,  lol there was nothing light about it... don't even want to know what the old stuff weighed in at.

Offsite  Photo link deleted by Admin, refer to pic posting rules

I know the forum rules, The link was a video, not a PHOTO LINK.

Jeff

You can use youtube or vimeo to post a video. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Geeg

Drywalls done, painting is done and LED lights are in (reminds me of being in a dentist office), installed 2 fans. Was a bigger job than I expected but enjoyed the challenge and happy with the results, glad I had the skylift, would have been impossible if I had to climb up ladders and scaffolding all day. Just have to get the electrician in to finish with the heavy amp stuff. Going to try and sand and prep the floors for epoxy next week. then will install a fireplace in the main shop just in time for winter. Will sure be nice to have this completed so I can get my equipment in and setup. Will post more pics later.

LED's are 2'x2' 1/4" flat panel and use 45w for a total of 900w in the main shop. I can shut half off when all the light is not needed.

Once the floor is finished, I need to add more drywall around the base of the exterior walls to cover the 2" foam that is against the concrete block foundation. Will tape, mud, paint and cap with a pine sill, wish it was all flush but that's the way the building was designed?

Crusarius

What lights did you end up using? How much they cost? Looks like real nice light but the ones they used where I work are $250 a piece. I can't swallow that.

Geeg

Quote from: Crusarius on August 28, 2018, 07:54:50 AM
What lights did you end up using? How much they cost? Looks like real nice light but the ones they used where I work are $250 a piece. I can't swallow that.
These are the lights https://www.ledwholesalers.com/v2/index.php?route=product/product&path=139&product_id=1003
I paid $110CAD so about $85US which for the quality, I felt was a great price, there is no visible lines, just light emitting from the whole panel.

Crusarius

they seem pretty durable? like if I were to wack them with a 2x4 when moving it around in the shop? I have a low ceiling and they would see alot of accidental strikes

Crusarius

ooh they have a 1x4 version as well.

Geeg

Yes they are. When I went to the store to have a look at them, the sales guy dropped it on the floor by mistake, still worked :D

Crusarius

so guessing they are not glass panels?

Geeg

Correct, they are plastic and quite light for the size.

Thank You Sponsors!