iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yukon men, Stan Zurray CS milling vid

Started by Roland, October 29, 2018, 05:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland

I'm not sure how to upload a YouTube vid but Stan Zurray of Yukon men just put out a good short YouTube vid on CS milling with a 40 year old sthil.
It seemed almost effortless for him to rip lumber. The saw was doing 99% of the work pulling itself through the log amazing to watch.
Adopt the pace of nature her secret is patience.
RWE

Hilltop366

To post a link just copy the address of the video and paste it here.

How to Make Lumber With an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill - Stan Zuray - YouTube

And it shows up like this.

Downstream

One of the secrets to chainsaw milling is to set-up the log going down hill slightly so that the weight of the saw/mill will help push the bar through the wood.  He has a pretty good angle on that log so gravity is your friend.  I actually did the same thing with my manual band saw mill.  the track is level side to side, but just slightly inclined lengthwise so gravity helps feed the head unit into the log.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Roland

RWE

Hilltop366

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, that log must be at quite an angle for the saw to walk through it like that.
I like that he allows the saw to cool down run for about 30 seconds after the cut.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

I really think it is neat the way he reconstructs the log from the stickered flitches to air dry using the slab as a natural rain cover.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Roland

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 30, 2018, 07:58:46 PM
  I really think it is neat the way he reconstructs the log from the stickered flitches to air dry using the slab as a natural rain cover.
No doubt, that was cool
RWE

Weekend_Sawyer

"That's a fish tote there, we use it for fish and also as a bath tub"

That's funny!

stanzuray

Roland and Hilltop thank you for posting video - nice to get it out there more. Got a notification from the posting and glad to know about the Forestry Forum as most of what I know about logging and chainsaws is from just using them and that often leaves a lot to be desired even at 69 years old. Got a YouTube Channel under my name (Stan Zuray) and it has a lot of bush living stuff on it if anyone interested (minus the TV drama).
We mess with logs and trees often and here's a picture of a fishwheel that is made entirely (almost) out of forest products - river logs for raft, 100 peeled poles for baskets, and chainsaw boards and timbers for towers and chutes. Great site. Stan

ellmoe

Welcome to the forum, Stan. Look forward to seeing your you-tube site.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Roland

Quote from: stanzuray on October 31, 2018, 06:51:56 PM
Roland and Hilltop thank you for posting video - nice to get it out there more. Got a notification from the posting and glad to know about the Forestry Forum as most of what I know about logging and chainsaws is from just using them and that often leaves a lot to be desired even at 69 years old. Got a YouTube Channel under my name (Stan Zuray) and it has a lot of bush living stuff on it if anyone interested (minus the TV drama).
We mess with logs and trees often and here's a picture of a fishwheel that is made entirely (almost) out of forest products - river logs for raft, 100 peeled poles for baskets, and chainsaw boards and timbers for towers and chutes. Great 
You're welcome Stan and God bless  
RWE

Chop Shop

I enjoy watching your segments on the TV.  I admire your patience.

Welcome.

Hilltop366

Your welcome.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Weekend_Sawyer

I appreciate non drama TV.

Welcome to the forum.
Jon

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dakota

Welcome to the Forum Stan.  I watched all the interview videos(1-6) on your You-tube channel.  You've had quite an interesting life, to say the least.  I'll be interested in your perspective on things.
Dave Rinker

btulloh

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Stan.  

I'm curious - what type of internet service you have up there?
HM126

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Stan.  Just curious as to why you settled in Tanana.  Possible because of the confluence of the Yukon and Tanana Rivers? 

Anyway I always enjoy watching your shows.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Stan,

Welcome to the FF. Great to hear from a real celebrity. ;D

Down here we like to watch the Alaska shows (I personally don't care for the Fake Bush people) while my BIL in Anchorage says he and his friends all watch Swamp people. I haven't asked him yet if he keeps up with Shelby.

Take care and be careful out there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Stan welcome to the FF
I like the chainsaw mill
That's some nice spruce
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

Welcome Stan!  I too enjoy the show and your YouTube videos.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Deere80

Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

stanzuray

Replying to 3 recent posts:

Btulloh - Internet is all over Alaska now. Urban areas have cable and the rural villages have large scale satellite or the newer microwave. Real bush areas can use a small dish HughesNet or similar system which I use all summer at my fish camp. Know a number of people that have no grid power, water, sewer, telephone but got $60/month internet. It's often real slow and limited (YouTube will not stream) but it's much wanted communication. More and more young people don't watch or own TV, they watch YouTube.

Magicman - I came to Tanana because it was the closest village to an bush area 40 miles north of it where I got dropped off by a bush plane in 1973 (lived there 11 years). It was Open to Entry Homestead Federal land but closed shortly after I landed. I got 5 acres there and still go out that way each winter trapping/hunting.

WV Sawmiller - I really enjoyed working on the TV show and with the great cameramen and people that did the film work. It was a small production company in NY and they all were like friends and took care of us I felt. Much different than the normal from what I've learned. The cameramen that went out in the bush with us were world class outdoorsmen and hardly got in our way and often helped break trail etc, The guy that was with me the first couple years had climbed Everest twice.
Shows are all different - the realer ones often get filmed real and not any script but once that footage gets to the big networks and they do their drama editing we are often portrayed in interesting ways. I have learned that is the price of getting in front of a national audience and from the beginning I looked at it as a way to educate people nationally on ethical uses of fur animals (trapping) and natural resources. I think we changed some minds positively. Some shows are 100% scripted and even don't live where they are filmed or are filmed in a different place.
It was a good part time job and hardly affected my lifestyle. Enjoyed learning about the whole industry - many of the cameramen had worked with big name sports and celebrity figures (Trump Apprentice) etc. and very interesting hearing their stories. Stan

StimW

Great to see you on the forum Stan, I am a fan of the show also.
What time of the year was the video? You seemed to have warm clothes on.
Is the river frozen yet?
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Thank You Sponsors!