iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

STAIN MARKS ON NEW MILLED WOOD

Started by inveresk, March 21, 2007, 06:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inveresk

I put some logs through the mill today. Conditions were wet with some rain. I milled one log then went for lunch before cleaning off the cants. When I washed the lumber of sawdust this afternoon there were what looks like iron streaks that have apparently got into the grain. Any idea what these are and how I can get rid of them? I could dress the beams down in the planer but for the project I have in mind I'd prefer them sawn. If push comes to shove I can maybe skin them on the mill (I'd need to check the slightly reduced sizes with the structural engineer) but what's to stop this happening again? Should I not be milling outside in the rain? Any advice appreciated.

Dave Shepard

What type of wood are you sawing? I assume hardwood. Are the marks in line with the bed rails on the mill? I saw on a Woodmizer, which has stainless sleeves on the bed rails, but not on the back stops. I never leave hardwood touching the backstops any longer than I have to or it will leave blue-black marks on the wood. If you are getting stains from contact with the mill I would try to reduce the amount of time the logs are on the mill. I also use thin boards on top of the forks on the forklift when I move hardwoods.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

inveresk

I was sawing Douglas Fir. The staining was very evident in the sawdust on the logs which was the normal blonde colour after sawing. However, when I came back from lunch this had turned grey, almost as if it had prematurely developed blue stain. When I washed it off the logs, the grey colour had worked its way from the sawdust into the grain of the log. Is there a way to remove it, maybe with some sort of bleach?

Radar67

Are you using any type of lube on your blade?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

inveresk

I have a lumbermate 2000 and cool and lub. the blade with water, not additives. I'll try the bleach on a sample  tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll turn to oxalic acid. In future, all I can think of is that I remove the sawdust and wash the cant down soon as it comes off the mill.

dad2nine

I use joy dish washing soap and water for lube. About an 1/8 of a bottle per 5 gallons of water. This really helped a lot with red oak staining, I was having with other lube mixes. Might work just as good on fir but I don't know.

Thanks

inveresk

The dishwasher liquid might help. Thanks for the tip. It's certainly worth a try.

dad2nine

Joy seems to be the best less suds and slick as 5h1t

Back40x2

Oak and Rock Maple will stain without even trying to!   I don't believe that unless you are using heavily dyed detergent for your lube, that it will stain your wood.  I on occassion will put a bit of diesel in my mix.  That won't stain either.  The occurs from the acid reaction from the wood with the metal.  Same thing as cutting lettuce!  Cut it with anything metal, and the edges will turn brown.  Break it up with your hands and its brown free!!!!

We can't always do it, but when I am cutting oak or rock maple.  If I am home, I will have a hose to wash the dust off.  ANother thing too.  One sticker your wood with same wood from the same tree, if green.  each tree is different and will most likely stain if you use another piece from a different tree.  Doesn't matter if its the same speicies.  It has to be from the same tree.  If your stickers are dry, make sure they are completely dry!

Good Luck!
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Firebass

I too was sawing douglas fir today and set a board under a small fir tree that was shedding it's tips or pollenating I really don't know.  But those little miniture pine cone like things that fall off  this time of year were laying on the board and did the same thing.  Only thing differant is there was also a brownish stain.  This only happend on the one board I set under this tree.  Maybe there is a reaction to pollen?

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!