iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to shut down a Central Boiler E2300

Started by stumper, November 25, 2008, 06:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

It looks like I will be able to take a vacation this winter.  First Vacation in 5 years.

How do I shut the boiler down while I am gone.  I need to leave the pump on to keep things from freezing but I do not what the fan to be running all the time trying to ignite a fire after the wood is gone.    Is it as simple as flipping the switch in the back off? 

antos_ketcham

Nope - not that simple. If you hit the switch you'll cut the power to your pump as well as all the power is routed together - not sure you can isolate the pump from everything else.

Sounds like a call to CB HQ is in order.

How do you like your stove? I am loving mine.

Pete

waorgany

Good question....I am wondering the same thing? I have to go out of town over night for our sons swim team in a few weeks, and I know it won't stay full and going for 24 hours, and we are planning a trip out of the state (so place warm) in FEB too so I want to know what to do also. I worry about everything freezing up when gone for 7-8 days and its cold as heck out? Is there any anti freeze that can be added to the tank/lines to keep them from freezing up? Thanks in advance.

wannabeonetoo

Call in a FAVOUR from a family member/friend or neighbor  ;D ;D.Especially if it's only a couple days  smiley_wavy
  Steve

stumper

I am not worried about 24 hours.  I can load it full and I think it will go for 18 to 24 hours this time of year.  However, gone for days or more in the coldest part of the winter is a different story.  The dealer did not know the answer but will check with the company.

I am thinking that I need to install a recepticle prior to the switch.

We'll see what the company says.

He is also going to ask about the fireballs it sends at us from time to time.  You learn pretty quick to stand behind the door when opening it.

beenthere

Quote from: stumper on December 01, 2008, 06:03:04 PM

He is also going to ask about the fireballs it sends at us from time to time.  You learn pretty quick to stand behind the door when opening it.

When the uncombusted gases accumulate in the burn chamber, and the door lets in some oxygen, there will be a mini explosion. That might be the fireball you speak of.
I always open the draft to either vent or burn those hot gases before opening the door. Saves on the hair....if I had any.. ;D ;D
Surely the manual tells how to vent the burn chamber before opening the door...or not??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

For those rare times we are gone for more than a day during the heating season we con someone into coming by to feed the fire and water the plants as needed.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

stumper

Th manual say to open the by-pass for 30 second prior to opening the door.  I follow those directions but I still get fireballs at times. 

needful

Well, i think the only way you can prevent the system from freezing is to add antifreeze. In the Yukon it is a must if something should happen at 40 below.
50% antifreeze is what i had to do and that's 4 barrels at $ 1450.00 a pop. :P
To prevent the system from freezing i installed the circ pump inside, where my oil fired boiler is.
This way i can shut the E-2300 down and the water keeps circulating.
i had to shut the system down for 4 days at 20 degrees and there was still a lot of heat left after that, providing you do not heat your house and just let it circulate. 450 gallon take a lot of time to cool completely  down.
  8)

Cheers
Rob

stumper

It will be much cheaper for me to heat the outdoor boiler with the oil boiler then to add antifreeze.

rowerwet

How does CB have the circulator installed? I have a CB maxim pellet boiler, on mine there is a receptical box with two plugs on it and a cord coming out. the boiler gets power from inside the box, and you put a plug on the end of your wire run to plug in the boiler. My circulator is on its own cord and plug so keeping the boiler off and the circulator on is easy as I put in a dual receptical on the end of my wire run.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

stumper

Well I spoke with tech support at Central boiler and he said just flip the switch.  I explained that that shut off the pump, and that I did not want to go off and leave the blower pushing cold air through the boiler cooling it off needlessly. 

He then suggested I run an extension cord to run the pump.  I explained that I was concerned with the extension cord being plugged into a ground fault circuit and I did not want blowing snow or rain to trip it (has happened with my tractor block heater).

I asked about fishing another line through my conduit and powering a non switched outlet or rewiring the out let in the boiler so that it was before the switch.  He said he would check around and get back to me if he found out anything.

I'll post their answer if I get one.

beenthere

So stumper, you know how to fix it for shut down, just need to get reliable power out there.

Run a live wire, and bypass the ground fault outlet  ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stumper

That is my plan for now. 

I just can not beleive the company did not think about this when they designed it.  For 3 bucks they could have included a non switched outlet.  Alternatively, for next to nothing they could have put a paragraph and a diagram in the owners manual.

Thank You Sponsors!