iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I get so DanG mad!

Started by CHARLIE, March 26, 2006, 04:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

I've found that out Dredgeslavedave...uhhhhhh....can I call you Dave?  I reckon to preserve my sanity, I'll have to start measuring the boards before I even order them. If I can't find decent ones with enough so I can square them up, I'll just go somewhere else.

It just doesn't seem like it would be that hard to give a customer a lousey ½ inch so they can square it up.....or cut the wood square in the first place.  If the mills can cut a Precut stud to the right length, they can do it with the other boards too.

Oh well.......such is life.  I don't like for the mill to cut a board too short either. That's my job! ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Maybe it was from a log that BB Tom measured ;D

He helped my son Tom and me cut logs yesterday.  He kept bragging about being so proficient at holding the 'dumb' end of a tape and wanted me to reccomend him to Kirk Allen (where he is headed at this very moment) ::)  After son Tom loaded the logs on the truck,  I noticed one log was about 2' long on one end and 2' short on the other :o :o  I told BB Tom it was his measuring what done it :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Don P

Well who can resist  ;D
A 2x4 S-Dry is surfaced to 1-1/2"x3-1/2"
A 2x4 S-Grn is surfaced to 1-9/16"x3-9/16"

Trimming provisions fall under 2 different sets of rules
DET- Double end trimmed, most lumber, 1/32" out of square per inch of width.
PET- Precision end trimmed, studs and precuts, 80% must be square, remainder must be within 1/16" of square.

The wood cannot be sold as 8' if it isn't. I would buy the one board and demand reinspection  ;D

We run into out of square ends frequently/ usually, its rare that I need every inch of a board. That would make me DanG mad if I needed it and it weren't there, usually length is a little over. It takes quite awhile to convince the new help to check the end for square before pulling the tape. I've been working on the one helper for 22 years and am making some headway.

SwampDonkey

'Can't learn'm nuthin, eh?' :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Might be his wife so be careful :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

It is  :D :D. She did hold up her end of the log all day today, 2 floors up. Run SD RUN  :D :D

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

rebocardo

> What can the marketplace do about it to get the mills

Buy from small sawyers, it will not make a difference to the big mills, but, you will feel better  ;)

A lot of the 8 footers of 1x12s in mass market stores are exactly 8 feet long, on the high point of the trapazoid end!  :D   

I learned doing home construction, exactness does not count, especially when the contractor does not care. Any shortness or warping is made up with RTV, construction glue, and foam. If you took away modern glues I think 1/2 of the houses would fall in, it is all about how fast it can be put up.

I would say 90%+ of contractors simply do not care if things are square or not, just as long as it is done in time. If the boards are off on a wall, no problem, nail gun a border of cheap moulding around the room at the top and bottom. Whatever you do, do not bother with a miter cut of any sort, just over lap them   :D

If the wood work is bad, you should see what happens to electrical and plumbing by people that do not speak English earning $10 an hour cash. It is down right scary.  :o

SwampDonkey

Quote from: rebocardo on April 06, 2006, 09:29:25 PM
If the wood work is bad, you should see what happens to electrical and plumbing by people that do not speak English earning $10 an hour cash. It is down right scary.  :o

I dunno rebo, I've seen some pretty shotty work done by folks who are suppose to know better as well. To suggest that a certain ethic group aren't capable of performing the work to standards only tells me they don't have the educational training or guidance by their employer. I hope it's not just a general racist statement made toward immigrants trying to make a living to provide for their family. If they are being hired it may be that the employer can't get local help. Maybe that's because of the wages, the employer's reputation, or the lack of skilled workers to begin with. Probably hiring these people allows the contractor to underbid the competition, if he don't hire them his competition will just to get the contract. If I'm a contractor and can't hire cheeper labour, than no one else should be aloud to either. From alot of reports I've seen, there would be alot of businesses that couldn't exist without them.

Some apple farmers here hire them because no one locally will do the work and I blame that on our social programs. I'm not saying I would drive 30 miles to pick apples, but if I lived 5 miles from the orchard and am just sitting on my ass, I'de be the first one in line for the job. Not everyone has that work ethic. Over in Maine they bring immigrants in to harvest spuds.

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!