iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me skidder

Started by Frickman, June 19, 2005, 07:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

I've been away from the forum for a couple of weeks while working, and in that time I broke down and bought another skidder. I found a 1978 John Deere 440B about three hours away with a recently rebuilt motor, transmission, clutch, and winch. All it needs is a new coat of paint, as it still has original paint. Maybe two tires also. Took it out Friday for a spin and it is a good solid machine. I have it at another job, so as to not make the old 440 jealous.

About a year ago I started a thread about chain chokers. I was interested in converting to chains, but never got around to it. Mostly because I still had plenty of new cable chokers in stock. This new skidder has chain chokers, and I'm real impressed with them. Very few loggers in our area use chain chokers, so I had never worked with them. After using them one day I decided I'll never buy another cable choker again, the chains are that good. The ones I got left I'll give to my buddy and let him get jaggers in his hands.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Sawyerfortyish

All I've ever used is chains. The only problem I had with them was breaking them I used grade 8. Now I use grade 100 and have no problems except for getting a tree now and then bigger around than the chain will reach.

oakiemac

How do you guys get the chain chokers around the log when you can't reach under it? Do you use tongs or do you dig  until you can get to the chain?
I have this problem a lot so I use tongs but it seems like it takes two people for the tons, one to hold the tong and the other to operate the tractor.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

beenthere

I've used the chain chokers that came with the Farmi winch, and they have a short, about 12", steel rod (called a primer) on one end. I found this rod great to push under a log and find the end to pull the chain through underneath. Are you familiar with this system?
http://www.northeastimplement.com/newpage2.htm

Also, on another site, there was some discussion of 'square' chain. Got my attention too, but the links are made up of square steel, rather than round. Australian implied as the source, and maybe not solely from there.  Is it a popular chain here? I don't know of any advantages, but some are pretty excited about this 'square' chain. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tnlogger

when i used chain chockers way back when i had a pc of 1/4" rebar i tunred a U in one end and made a loop handle on the other end and made a small radius on it to silde in under the log. it was about 4' long and worked great.
gene

oakiemac

I like the idea of using a small piece of rebar-kind of like using a needle. ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Sawyerfortyish

I use a tool exactly like tnlogger described. It works good you slide it under the log and hook the end chain link and pull it under. I have been useing the square link chain for about 4 yrs. I really like it better than the regular chain. The edges of the square link bite into the bark and wood under the bark and the chains don't slide off. If thers anything I hate it's looking back to see I've lost half the hitch >:( someplace on the skid road.

Frickman

I went to the local sawshop and got a deal like tnlogger described already made up for $10.50. It works real good. Anywhere you'd be able to pull a chain through it will go through and drag the chain back. If it won't go under the log the choker chain wouldn't either and you have to figure something else out.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

slowzuki

All the chains I've been using have a 12" spike with the head bent in a loop on the chain to thread it under the log.  The nail is bent with a curve so it doesn't dig into the ground.

TeaW

Congrats on the new skidder Frickman! Are the axel hubs the same on the "B" as the old 440. I have had some trouble with the old hubs in the past.
TeaW

OLD_ JD

TeaW
they are not the same in the B serie's the planet gear are in the hubs,that one of the 'big' improvement whene they made that B series
my opinion about the "B" is probaly the best they ever made and those old series
like u TeaW i own a 440 and i did have prob. in the past whit hubs :-\
canadien forest ranger

timberjack240

old JD
that hud problem is easy to fix buy a TIMBERJACK  ;D  :D

tiny3

no way >:(
JOHN DEERE=PROPER SKIDDER :)
artest formely known as tiny

timberjack240

proper skidder :D you meen proper piece of junk  ;D  :D  8)

beenthere

Okay boys!  Schools out now  ;D
We like to get along nice-like here. Much more fun for everyone then.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberjack240

hey sorry just kiddin around alittle didnt meen to offend anyone

Sawyerfortyish

Timberjack I don't like deere john either but I bit my tongue so far :-X.

Frickman

This 440B I just got has a square fuel filter on the right side of the engine, just above the starting motor. My old 440 has the dual, round filters in the same location. I just noticed though over on ebay that there is a 440B with the dual, round filters. Could this be just an earlier year of 440B? Mine is a 1978 model.

Ed_K

could it be a replacement ag motor?
Ed K

tiny3

proper skidder  you meen proper piece of junk   

thats nasty :( ::)   
artest formely known as tiny

tnlogger

frickman you can get them square filter kits from deere on the 440b they changed from the sock filter about halfway thue the run
gene

OLD_ JD

that for real detroit engine "fan's" ::).....653 whit 2 double muffler..rolffff :D  is that make noise  ??? ;D ;D ;D
http://www.heavyequipmentregistry.com/heavy-equipment/7028.htm
canadien forest ranger

Sawyerfortyish

Wow a 653 :o that has got to be more than 200hp. My 671 on my mill is about 210hp. I'll bet that moter will rattel your ear drums even with hearing protection.

timberjack240

yea how much hp is that baby. our 453 has 134 id like to know what that one has .

i bet that 653 would really be loud with a dualstraight pipes  ;D

Frickman

tnlogger,

Thanks for the info. I've seen the square filters on the shelf at the Deere dealer, now I know what they're for.

Thank You Sponsors!