iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting governor on a circle mill

Started by Trapper John, December 27, 2017, 02:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper John

I am wondering what is the correct way to set up a throttle stop on a mill.  I want to be able to simply open the throttle until it is pegged at the correct rpm and have the governor take over after that.  I can do this at the sawyer's box or I can do this at the engine.  Does it make any difference?  Also I need to find a place to buy a long throttle cable, like around 20 feet.

Ianab

What are you dealing with?

A Universal Electronic Governor, speed sensor, and actuator to handle the throttle could be rigged up to run pretty much any engine. You set the governor to your ~3,000 rpm sawing speed, and switch it down to "idle" with a simple electric switch.

http://www.governors-america.com/

Those guys sell systems to run generators etc, should work with the varying load of a sawmill too.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

starmac

He is running a bellsaw, so probably not quite 3000 rpm's.
What are you using for an engine, and does it have a governor on it now?
P&T on vanhorn can probably help you with a cable, or Jim at tracer equipment, also on vanhorn.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

Long throttle cables can be got at a boat store.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Trapper, it all depends on what you have for a diesel and the type of governor it has. Basically two types limiting speed and variable speed. Variable speed is what a tractor has you set the throttle and it will hold that speed. A limiting speed is what highway trucks have it just limits the top speed the engine will turn. Usually a limiting speed gov. can be set at a lower top rpm say 1800 and the throttle, when held open, will tend to hold that RPM. I have a 6 cyl. Ford power unit on my mill with the variable gov. I used an old truck emergency brake lever for my throttle its ether idle or governed speed. The little knob on the handle allows me to fine tune the speed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DMcCoy

I set mine up with a flyball governor run off a fan belt.  Is what you are using?
Then yes you set up the governor and then max it out and it will adjust the throttle for you.  With mine there was always a lag when it first hit the log and started to bog down before it would speed back up.  The throttle control was with me at the carriage control lever.  I used a nylon cord and small pulleys and a spring for tension.

bandmiller2

Trapper, I see your interested in the physical connection throttle to engine. I just used 1/8" wire cable run through a couple of small pulleys, you want something that won't stretch. Also handy is an easy way to adjust it as engine speed will change with cold weather. Its good form to have a handheld tach to check arbor RPM's Frank C.

Gearbox

Set the RPMs and leave them alone . Put a cable on the clutch to pull it from the stick . Circle saws do not like to come into and out of saw speed . It is also hard on saw guides . just bring it up to saw speed until you are done sawing .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Reddog sawmill

It can be made as simple or complicated as you want it. A governor is very handy but NOT an absolute necessity! I have seen several times where 2 leavers were employed, 1 to opperate the carrage and 1 to give the power unit more fuel as it slowed down in the cut. May take some getting used to but at that point almost any engine with enough power could be used to power a circle mill.

Trapper John

Thanks everyone for the knowledge.  Especially to you Gearbox.  I did not know about the bad effects of speeding up and slowing down of circle saws.  I had been doing exactly that with each cut thinking I was saving fuel and the motor.  Also I did not have any way to throw the clutch out but I can see that would be important in case things go south during a cut.  It's the dead of winter here now and I won't be sawing again until April but I know what I have to do now.  Also I will replace my horizontal off bearer table with a slope so I keep sawing and not have to off bear after each cut.  This is a one man operation for the for seeable future.  Thanks again, I learn something every time I read the forum.

bandmiller2

Gearbox, are you sure on that continuous saw speed thing. I've had two circular mills in the last 30 years and have always throttled back when loading and turning logs with no apparent damage to the saw or its tension. I don't keep my guides tight. Both of my mills have a clutch lever in the sawyers box and a throttle. You always want a clear escape route in case things head south. Frank C.

Gearbox

Bandmiller think about steam or electric . Wobble a piece of steel long enough .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!