iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Road pipe size ?

Started by bck, May 01, 2009, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bck

My BiL got a piece of big plastic pipe for the driveway today, I havnt seen it but they say you can walk through it so I am guessing it is 4 or 5 ft dia.  We have a place  now thats currently 3 pieces of 24" concrete pipe , when it rains hard its not enough pipe.

In the next year or two I am hoping to start buying my wood by the tractor trailer load. 

Would big plastic pipe be able to take that kind of weight ? anybody know how that pipe is rated ?

jbeat

bck, Go to the Advanced Drainage Systems web-site and look at their specs for your pipe. I used 36'' corrugated with about 10 inches of gravel cover under a driveway. No problems with heavy loads-semi traffic and garbage packers (super heavy).
John B

Banjo picker

Like Jbeat aludited to it according to how much fill  ( dirt gravel or what ever ) you have over the pipe.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Radar67

The general rule of thumb is to cover the pipe with the radius measurement of fill. ie 4 foot pipe needs 2 foot of fill over the top of the pipe.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Chuck White

Most highway departments have quit using the galvanized culvert pipes and have gone to the corrugated plastic.
If it's installed as Radar67 indicated, you should never have a problem with it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bck

Thanks guys, I just heard plastic pipe and wasnt to sure.
I saw the pipe today , its 60" and was a lot heavier than I had pictured in my mind.   Oh well   ::)   :)

ErikC

I put in a lot of culverts, and the plastic (ADS), is better than metal now. It lasts longer, due to the inside being smooth, gravel won't wear it in high water like it does corrugated. And is very strong when bedded and backfilled properly. Way easier to handle as well. they use it on logging roads all the time, and places it takes a real beating. You will be fine if it's properly installed, with a couple feet of compacted fill on top of it.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Banjo picker

Only problem with them is they will burn. :o  The county put in a small one for my mom to use--she was burning pine straw in the area and burned up the culvert, I guess it must have been full of pine needles.   ;D  I wasn't there , but I did see the results.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ErikC

Tim, you're right, they will burn. I have seen a bunch of them burn out in forest fires. They don't need to be full of needles or anything, if fire gets on an end the pipe turns into a chimney and burns itself up. Nothing left but a hole under the road when it's over. They can be a real booby trap for those who drive in and aren't careful. :o
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

fbelknap

I see that the dept of highways use them around here.  They pour concrete around them I assume to increase their crushing strength.

Thank You Sponsors!