iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mast crop

Started by mike_belben, October 01, 2021, 11:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Seems like a bumper year to me.  I dont think ive ever heard this volume of continuous bing bang bongs hitting the tin.  A few days ago it was breezy and white oak acorns were almost spraying off the roof like hail. 

Any of you finding a similar situation?
Praise The Lord

beenthere

Yes.. A bumper crop of acorns, black walnuts, and hickory nuts. Not as heavy as 2019.

Last year essentially zero crop of these three. Year before last very heavy again.
Large squirrel population from the good 2019 crop really suffered through the winter and summer 2021.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

Wild cherry, plumb, pear, honey bees, turkeys, quail, deer, etc did well too. Here we didn't get a real early warm up followed by one last frost like so many years. More of a gradual, long spring with decent moisture. 

Mother nature set the stage for success. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Roxie

We've had an embarrassment of riches in all our crops and flowers this year and these were no exception. The Amish have to keep a keen eye on every oak and walnut tree that overhangs the road with their teams this year not to mention the Osage Orange trees!  
Say when

Tacotodd

I've been hearing lots of acorns hit EVERYTHING, and from quite high up too by the sounds the impact that they are making. Wow :-\ 
Trying harder everyday.

petefrom bearswamp

My 25 yr old Red oak plantation here on my home property isnt producing but a few acorns so far.
My 2 Steuben county NY properties are very heavy to Red and a few White oaks but havent been there yet this year.
We are hoping for a good beech nut year at our Adirondack hunting grounds.
A friend and I are going there tomorrow to check.
This greatly affects our deer hunting there.
My sugar and red maples are loaded with seed as are my black cherry trees.
Coon poo in my driveway had cherry pits in it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Lots of RO & WO acorns, beech has done well and the grapes as far as I can see. I even have a big pokeweed at the corner of my shed I let grow and it is full of berries. My fall peach tree is in full fruit right now. Small but tasty. No apples made it. Its going to be hard to attract deer to my feeders as they have so much natural stuff to choose from - which is a good problem to have. Walnuts and butternuts are dropping in the driveway.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Mix a sack of dical 18.5 and a sack of trace mineral salt.  They need that so much more than corn.  Just be sure to put it where an excavation isnt a problem.  When the antlers fall off and does are bred it is critical. 
Praise The Lord

Chuck White

I'd really like to try planting some more White Oak acorns again, if anyone has plenty and easy access, I'd gladly pay the shipping!

A few years back, Lynn (Magic Man) sent me a box of WO acorns, and quite a few of them survived and now look good, but I'd like to plant some more!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I may have a good crop again this year.  I'll let you know.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

The black cherries were loaded around here as well as the grapes growing wild in the hedgerows. Plenty of acorns red and white but nothing out of the ordinary 

SwampDonkey

Lots of red oak acorns, beech nuts and ironwood seeds this year. The blue jays and chickadees have been busy. Chickadees are after the ironwood.

I've got a white oak here, but the nuts flowers have never pollinated. Need two trees I guess. They abort and fall the size of a pea. Leaves are still dark green on the tree this year, later they turn crimson red.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

The bur oak up here are loaded this year.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Thanks Lynn.

If you can, it would be appreciated!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

HemlockKing

Tons of acorns , the red squirrels are everywhere, just seen 3 fighting on the same tree. Really territorial this time of year seems
A1

Magicman

@Chuck White, our White Oak acorn crop is not exceptional this year but I am steadily gathering and I will be able to send you a box.

PM your mailing address.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jb616

Too much stress from Gypsy moths here. No acorns.

Chuck White

Thanks Lynn, anything is more than I have now!

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on October 02, 2021, 07:45:11 PMI'd really like to try planting some more White Oak acorns again, if anyone has plenty and easy access,
@Chuck White, I put your box of White Oak acorns in the USPO yesterday.  

mike_belben

so what do deep woods deer feed on when the acorn crop is pretty much all been dug up, and there no ag fields around?  

i know greenbriar, stumps sprouts and young branch tips.  what else?  
Praise The Lord

Chuck White

Thank you Lynn, I really appreciate your doing this for me!

They'll be in pots soon!

Chuck White

The package arrived in today's male.

Thank you very much Lynn.

Thank You Sponsors!