iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dual Port Muffler for 066

Started by magic, June 11, 2004, 06:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magic

Hey guys, I just bought a used 066 last week.  Got a great deal on it from a friend of mine who is a Stihl dealer. I was wondering if Stihl had a dual port muffler for the 066.  I seen on the forum that Stihl has one for the 046 and 044 but I am not sure about the 066.  If the pin number is available that would be great too.  Also, will the Stihl dual port muffler give the same performance as say a Walker dual port muffler.  Thanks in advance.  Magic

rahtreelimbs

If you are handy with a Dremel tool and have access to a mig welder, why not do it yourself? On the new 660's the dual-port muffler is only half the battle. The inner baffle needs to be opened up too. If you wish to attempt this yourself, remove the bottom and approx. half of the front of the baffle. You need to retain part of the outer part to keep the strength in the rear half of the muffler. As far as the ports go, I open the factory port up to 5/8" - 3/4", than I put a second port in the front cover the same size. I retain the screen on the factory port and weld a washer to hold the screen in place on the front port, sort of a sandwich effect. Also be sure to deburr all the place that you cut or grind and thoroughly clan the muffler be fore you put it into use. The new 660's are very restricted in this area. I have done a number of stihls like this and it works good. Good luck.!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Stan

With Walker's sellin' for $35, who cares if Stihl makes one or not!  8) 8) 8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Preston

I think Stihl is pretty good buddies with the EPA so I don't think you will have any luck with finding a dual port from them!
Preston

rahtreelimbs

QuoteI think Stihl is pretty good buddies with the EPA so I don't think you will have any luck with finding a dual port from them!

Not to rain on anyones parade, but the fact is that a dual-port front cover is available from Stihl. You just need the correct part no.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Sawyerfortyish

I have one on my 66. The 064 and 066 share the same front muffler plate and the ones on the 064 has the duel port it bolts right on a 66.

DanManofStihl

Does any one have the part number for the stihl dual muffler I want to get one for my 066 but I have a bunch of lazy people working at my near by dealership who are not worth a hill of beans. Thanks  ;)
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Sawyerfortyish

A friend of mine just tryed to get a dual port muffler for his 046 but couldn't because it wasn't in there computer. If the part # is not in there computer they won't be able to help you. I didn't know Stihl made one for the 066 I stole one off of an 064 and it fit.

incognitive

I gave the part number for the 460 in another recent thread.  The part number for the 066M/MS660 front cover is 122-140-0800

tshanefreeman

You are not actually ordering a dual-ported muffler ... you are ordering a new muffler face plate to replace the OEM faceplate which has no milling, whereas, the new plate has one exhaust port milled into the plate.  

Tell the shop guys what you want / what they should be looking for .... and they should be able to find it!

In the mean time I will try to look up the number of my new plate.
T. Shane Freeman
Total Landscape Solutions
...Providing Professional Tree Care Services, Landscape Design & Installation, and Turfgrass Management.

...Helping Canadians Preserve Their Investment.

Thank You Sponsors!