iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another nice claro walnut

Started by tule peak timber, July 25, 2014, 07:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Slicing up another Claro Walnut today.

This log was 17600 lbs and is yielding some beautiful table tops.Widest spots at log end 72 inches. 

Stacking them up under the watchful eye of my 14 year old border, Shadow Baby
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Dave Shepard

That is an impressive row of stacks! I'm glad to see some concrete under them. Makes it so much easier having a perfect foundation, doesn't it? :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ozarkgem

how long do you let them air dry before you sell them? Nice stack of slabs.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Don_Papenburg

How long are they ? Do you sell them to us poor slugs in the Midwest that think a slab 28 inches wide is big?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bill Gaiche

It is hard to imagine trees that make slabs like this. Do you find these trees close to your area? Thanks for the photos. bg

tule peak timber

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 25, 2014, 07:58:32 PM
That is an impressive row of stacks! I'm glad to see some concrete under them. Makes it so much easier having a perfect foundation, doesn't it? :)
Dave, we set this 80' long "truing" slab last year and thought it would help us with speed and efficiency. Wish we had 3 of them. The problem is access and labour to keep doing infrastructure and the end game goal. We upgraded our mill this year and can now fill this 80' long slab, 15' tall fairly quickly, even with me fumbling at the controls. LOL!

tule peak timber

Quote from: ozarkgem on July 25, 2014, 08:00:49 PM
how long do you let them air dry before you sell them? Nice stack of slabs.
Well the book says an inch/year for thickness, then to the kiln. If you do this as a business, as we do, you find ways to manipulate the weather, the barometric pressure, humidity and anything else you can to get them off the initial drying slab, through the kiln and into the market. Dr.Gene Winnegaart, respectfully, is an expert on the subject of drying and if you read everything he has to say about drying, plus put together where you are and what you are doing, will give you excellent results. Dr. Gene is a respected member of this site, amongst others. Been doing this for 8 years and getting better at it and still learning for sure.

tule peak timber

Ozark and Bill,
Yes, we certainly sell nationwide and as far as procuring old growth, quality trees to mill, it takes time and development of relationships that, well, have to be worked on. Any relationship you have with other people, whether they be log brokers, truckers, bird counters, people dating the bird counters (LOL) takes time and investment. We are blessed with some of the finest woods on the planet, you just need to seek them out.

WDH

Looks like that you have a small fortune in slabs there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

What have you covered your stacks with? 5V roofing? vinyl? From the pic, I can't tell.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ludo

Great pics!  What inspiration! SO true about sourcing great logs, you want to trade some Eastern Sycamore for some western Big Leaf Maple? We could meet half way in Missouri!  :D :D :D

tule peak timber

Kellog, I cover with sheet tin, or sometimes plywood, and a few of the stacks just have skins. We have seasonal high winds that require tying down in addition to just weight on top. I only get a couple of inches of rain per year here so it is mostly sun protection.
    Ludo, Wish I had some maple to trade for your sycamore ! ;D Not a lot of big leaf down here where I'm at....Rob

tule peak timber

Lucas mill production from yesterday.More claro walnut. Cheers  Rob

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're killing me Bob!  :D Nice Pic Buddy!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

> $300.00 ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

:o  Those are serious slabs.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Those are some nice ones fer sure. Bob must have hydraulic fluid in his veins to be able to off bear those rascals. bg

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

tule peak timber

For off bearing we use wedges and a Cat R-80, piece of cake ! ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tule peak timber on August 10, 2014, 06:10:30 PM
For off bearing we use wedges and a Cat R-80, piece of cake ! ;D

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

That is big wood, I bet you can get $300 an inch :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mad murdock

Thars gold in them that hills!!(well in the trees anyway). Very NICE 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Delawhere Jack

Still looking for a sawyer to run one of your mills?

If I hadn't taken solemn vow to never be an employee again I'd be one my way right now!  ;)

Those are some fine slabs.

tule peak timber

Thanks Delaware, Yes I am.....Ive had comments from previous contractors , that working  here is something between G.I Jane and Full Metal Jacket -expectation wise... :D :D :D :D :D Lots of work in the shop too !

Thank You Sponsors!