iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford Pick-up F150

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 17, 2013, 08:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

was never a ford man always gm in 06 got a brand new fancy red one junk junk junk every 3-4 thousand miles wheel bearings went    tranny lines leak       front drive line fell out yes fell out dealer said the weld never stuck to any thing   and the list goes on      then I got 95 f250 7.3 in 09   the best truck that I ever had and still have it 367274.9 miles on it      change oil every 10.000 miles and never add any    have 99 ranger 3.0 5speed gutless but that little truck is the best 213451.3 miles the frame has been welded 7 times but it runs so good    did I tell ya that  I am not a ford guy :D :D :D 8) 8)

SPIKER

Started out buying about anything other than Ford/Merc.   and had problems with them all, Buick Skylark 72, 4 transmissions, just about same number of starters, Alternators were 6 months then replace.  Would break down and strand me 2 times a month.   ::)  So switched to Plymouth, blew the head on the 225 slant 6, fixed that, tossed 3 resistor/fuses a month in it  :snowball: Hit the shadow of a rain cloud it would blow the resistor and dead on side of road... ::) :o...  As I drove it and fixed it (regularly) finally after welding on frame 3 or 4 times and twisting out the torsion bar I gave up & sold it for parts to old guy.  I jacked it up and put a 2x4 under frame/torsion bar as he wanted to drive it home lol. :o :D  Well I saw that old guy driving it with the 2x4 still in it for 4 or 5 years with same primer paint scheme :o :) :)...

Finally bought a 62 F1 short bed, standard cab, standard 3 on the tree,  someone ditched it and bend front up.  Had 352 with 390 heads, 2 feet of straight pipes exit under the cab from long tube headers! 8) 8) 8)   Granny gear was good for maybe 4 mph but would do it turning the earth backwards ;)  Never did anything to it other than gas it up & put 20K on it.   Now I love Ford got a bunch of them cheaper to buy another used one and drive till it breaks & park it out back ha ha ha   

My F150, owned it 13+ years now has had a LOT of parts put on it vs # of miles I drive it but starts and runs and has never left me stranded...   Parts I put on were mostly maintenance items, or due to RUST the Ohio Salt mines is heck on cars/trucks.   Replaced both gas tanks, and rear shackles & perches, oil pan...   

All in all there are good and bad of all brands, but sure had nothing but bad ones in the GM brands and mostly all good ones in the Ford brand.   Bad luck it most of the others other than Hondas had a few of them ok one now is (note from moderator, don't do that again) over SUV that I like to drive but just dont LIKE it if ya know what I mean...

Mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Delawhere Jack

Still on the road after 67 years! (With a new turbo diesel chassis and drive train).

Still on the road after 25 years. (With a new reman. 351 Windsor transplant).

Even though I grew up on them, I'll never by another Government Motors vehicle.....

reride82

DODGE: Dead On Delivery, Go Easy.
FORD: Fix or repair daily, found on roadside dead, found on reservation dump, I have a few more with less than appropriate language  :-X
Chevrolet: Can't hear every valve rotate on last exhaust take (kinda lame, but the only one I've heard)
Pontiac: Poor old neanderthal (Admin edit) thinks its a cadillac
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

petefrom bearswamp

finally a weigh in on toyota.
nice trucks, mileage is bad according to my son who has one and not sprung very heavy.
all mfgs make dogs and darlins good and bad.
about all of them have nice and not so nice features.
i agree that the crew  cabs are nothing but high priced passenger haulers.
govt sold its stock in gm for a big loss.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

m wood

yeah, I heard all the detroit loans were recently paid back.  I have owned dodge for years.  Real bad luck with ford in the past, starting with my dad some 40 years ago, he always told me that DanG 1970 f150 musta been built on a monday or a friday :D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

kwatvrider

I bought a brand new Dodge Dakota in 1994 and it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. Maybe it was just a lemon but I have never been impressed w/ Dodge. I have owned numerous Fords and will continue to buy Ford products. I like the reliability and the looks of the trucks. By the way, I do use mine as they are meant to be used. They look nice when they are shiny but they are built to be used.
Stihl 036 w/ 20" bar
Stihl MS180 w/ 16" bar

SPIKER

Here is 1 FORD pulling two Dodge Cummins machines at same time!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qj_RSFWDJZ8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Qj_RSFWDJZ8

Go Ford Power... 8) 8)

sawguy21

I have had a slew of trucks over the years, Fords, Chevs, and Dodges, but never a new one. The D series Dodges required some patience, learned to carry a spare ballast resistor and ignition black box at all times. Also learned how to prop the choke open when it flooded. Still, had almost 500,00 km on the last one and it was running when I sold it.
First one was a 64 Chev short box, sweet little truck with a 283. Wish I had it now. The 72 F-100 was a short lived experiment, decent enough but the 302 was tired and I didn't have the money or shop to redo it. Wife is now driving my 97 Ranger, it's showing it's age but is still reliable with almost 300,00 km on it. My current 05 Ram diesel is my favorite though, smooth and reliable as a claw hammer. It doesn't notice the 25' fifth wheel. Poston, I almost drooled over that 56. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

petefrom bearswamp

I agree on the BR bit sawguy.
back in the 70,s I worked for the new york state dept of environmental conservation and one of my duties was overseeing vehicle maint.
we had a lot of dodge pickups and i had my mechanics put a ballast resistor in every one and show the operator how to replace it.
this was after rescuing several foresters in the hinterlands.
never understood why they would run if you held the key on the start position when the br was shot.
happy holidays to all
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SPIKER

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 20, 2013, 10:53:07 AM
I agree on the BR bit sawguy.
never understood why they would run if you held the key on the start position when the br was shot.
happy holidays to all
pete

The KEY would bypass the BR and put a full 12V onto the coil pack is why.   The BR knocked the voltage down to 6 or 8 volts so the spark would not burn out the plugs/cap & rotor so bad when running.   To get the EXTRA Spark when COLD the key bypasses it.. ;)
  Never tried that as the starter would also engage and drive gear into flywheel ring gear...

Mark

Sonofman

As others have said, all make some good, some bad.

My brother bought a new 72 F150. He was still driving it when he passed in 98. He never had any problems with it. If I remember correctly, it was north of 300,000. 302 V8, std trans.

I have a 92 150 with the 300 straight 6. I think it is about the best motor Ford ever made.

I also have a 95 Ranger I bought new. 3.0 v6 5 speed. Over 200,000 now, has only had a clutch put in it, it is about to get it's second one.
Located due west of Due West.

Brucer

Just so's you know, GM paid off it's loans to the government quite a while ago. Last week the US government sold all it's shares in GM (at a significant loss). GM claimed it was losing sales because many potential customers wouldn't buy from "Government Motors."

Typical conversation at the sawmill where I worked as a teenager.
"Hey, John, I hear you got a new truck."
"Yep, I did."
"What kind you get, John".
"Blue."

I drove a 1980 GM diesel pickup for the last 25 of it's 28 years. It was a standard cab, long box. When the injector pump packed it in for the second time, and no more parts available, I bought a 2001 F150 standard cab long box.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, my preferred brand of pickup is a standard cab, long box  ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ancjr

Last time I went truck shopping, told them I wanted standard cab, long box, vinyl interior, crank windows and the salesman laughed and said "I haven't seen those in years!"  So I guess I really need a time machine instead of a truck!   :)

Al_Smith

I can't testify to pick up trucks but I know for a fact the Ford  Duratec 3.5 and 3.7 liter engines come off at usually 105 an hour .20 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week .

That comment about the Vulcan 3 liter V6 Ranger engine .It's not uncommon to get 250,000 miles out of them .Those came off at 29 seconds apart 20 hours a day 5 days a week .

Ken

I've been looking to upgrade my truck so have been following the for sale ads quite closely.  I've been driving GM trucks for nearly 30 years and am looking for another late model 2500 series with a diesel engine.  There seems to be several ford and dodge trucks available but GM's seem to be hard to find.  Go figure
Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

i bought a new ford with the 6.7 diesel. i really like it. way more power than anyone needs and pretty good on fuel.

SawyerBrown

Been looking to upgrade too, maybe.  I've been hauling around that 4000 lb sawmill with my Silverado with the 5.3, seems to do OK, gets pretty good MPG, but I wonder how well it's going to hold out.  Also be nice to have a 4WD on occasion.  And I'd sure like to have a manual ... but it may be as hard to find as vinyl seats and crank windows   :D

A lot of guys like the standard cab, but I put all my paperwork, manuals, extra coveralls, straps, etc etc in the back seat of the extended cab, and I don't usually need the extra bed length ... 6 1/2 feet seems to be enough.  Hope that doesn't make it one of them "yuppie" trucks ... I've got a "Duck Dynasty" air freshener hanging from the mirror, if that makes any difference   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Wellmud

I have owned all of the big 3, but I have bought my last Government Motors, I like a company that does'nt need my tax dollars to operate. I have an 03 F350 with the 7.3, best truck i ever owned.
SawyerBrown: I too like a manual transmission, I recently replaced an aging piece of equipment and wanted a manual, I had to buy a Dodge as they are the only one now offering a manual transmission, but I do like the Cummins engine ;)
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

pineywoods

Thought you guys might enjoy seeing the grandaddy (well almost) of them all. 1930 Ford model A, 3 on the floor,no syncromesh, no heat, crank windows, no air, 40 hp. I no longer own it, in a weak moment I traded it for a parcel of timberland.   :'(

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

no heat, crank windows, no air, sounds like that Toyota truck I mentioned.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

My 1976 F250 (w\78 front clip) carbed 390 V8, 4 speed w\ granny low (1st and reverse aren't synchronized) no power steering. Has heat though. And air! It's got the triangle vent windows!
Back when trucks were REAL American TRUCKS!  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

thecfarm

Now ain't that pretty. I remember that truck now. I have an Old Ford like that too. But mine has not been moved for 13 years. Manual,4 speed,4 WD,¾ ton,with a 300 6 and the heavy duty package.
There is a town called Rumford about 45 minutes from me.
Find
On
Rumford
Dump.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerBrown

Oh, man, the little triangular windows!!  Just push 'em all the way around and instant air conditioning. Why do they do away with the good stuff like that?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Al_Smith

I've got a '77 F-250 with a 300 6 that resides in my woods .Still runs but needs some work .It's got 263 thousand on it but the engine is tired and the steering is wobbley .

It wouldn't take much .A set of rings rods ,mains ,grind the valves .Tie rod ends and a drag link would probabley do it .Less than 400 in parts I'd say .Might repair it might not .

White one just about like the one Sam Walton had .About as many dents too .

Thank You Sponsors!