iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Ideas for DIY Rail guides for Alaskan Mark III

Started by SilverKing, October 10, 2011, 06:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverKing

I will be purchasing an Alaskan Mark III mill 36" and wanted to setup my own rail guide system.  Any ideas?

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

zopi

Good straight two by six..
I used that channel stock they hang conduit on...forget what they call it...

Channel iron would do too...

I sawed five logs with the mkIII....then bought a bandsaw mill...too bloody much work.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

JV

I used two 2x4's on edge with the t-slot channel from Granberg.  You have to drill through the edge to attach the bolts.  I used 3/8" all thread to space and adjust the 2x's.  I nail the channel to the face of the log with duplex nails as they are easy to pull.   I let the ends of the 2x's stick out about 18" so I can hang the saw on them. 

I used a 2x6 on the far end to either level or cut a taper.  I have a 52" mill with a Stihl 084 with a 60" bar and this rig handles it fine.  I used 16' 2x's to cut longer timbers.  Makes a cheap rail system.

A 3" x 46" x 80" slab I cut for a customer.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Dan_Shade

I have some square tubing with holes punched in it.  I lag screw this to the log, and zip tied it to the ladder.

I don't have any pictures.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

mikeb1079

i made mine out of two 10' pieces of unistrut with cross pieces welded in between.  if you put the slotted side outwards you can slide the end pieces ( i used angle iron) to adapt to different lengths of log.  heavy but works well.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

SilverKing

Thanks for the ideas and pics.  They were very helpful.  Zopi would you be interested in selling your Mark III?

zopi

Yep..unistrut...works well..I made a pair of angle iron end clamps with holes to nail the assembly to the log..worked out well..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Well...I suppose so...lemme think on it a bit..not sure what to ask...it takes up to a thirty six inch bar...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!