iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Voice recognition software

Started by Norwiscutter, February 14, 2007, 02:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

I was down at OfficeMax yesterday and on a whim I decided to purchase Dragon naturally speaking nine.  I was pretty skeptical and wasn't expecting much from the software, but I've been using it now for the last day and so far the results have been exceptional.  I suppose that if you are a very good at typing the benefits might not be as significant as they are for me.  I normally type a realistic 35 words per minute and can see that this software will significantly speed up my production.  If one is able to type in the 60 to 80 words per minute range, I can see where the software might not be as much help.  I think the initial difficulty for me has been learning to think before I speak. ;), I suppose it's a problem we all have sometimes, but I mean that in a different context.  As I become more adept at using the software.  I will continue to update you on its merit, however as of now, I am pleasantly surprised.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

DanG

How much did that set ya back?  Does it recognize Yooper?

It probably wouldn't do me much good.  I only type about 25 wpm, but I only think at 15 wpm anyway. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Larry

The boss bought some of the software about 2 years ago.  Worked well with some people and not well with others.  She is in the health care business and it would not recognize some of the words those folks use.  The software could be trained...if you spent enough time I bet it could even understand yooper.   The typist still has to fix all the grammatical errors so we dumped it after a while.

We just read in the paper this morning some company had it perfected.  Same thing we heard before we bought the last software.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norwiscutter

It set me back $100.  I wouldn't say that the technology is perfected yet, but I will say that many of the mistakes made by the software have occurred because of me and my inability to enunciate.  My spelling is so bad that even if the software puts up the wrong words.  It is much easier for me to correct than normal, because the words are spelled correctly.  I suppose that the software would have more difficulty with those that speak with an accent.  I have so far, employed the software in the formulation of some rather technical documents and been happy with the results.  I have, what the software classifies as being the minimum amount of RAM to run it.  I think I will go to a website that tests typing speed and see how I do.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Tom

Typing ability is increased by repetition.  learning the letters beneath your fingers and continually punching them until your mind learns to trust your fingers.  Practice is what my teacher called it.

There are on-line typing courses out there, but the important thing to learn is finger position and which finger to use on a key.  The rest is just doing it.  :)

scgargoyle

Quote from: DanG on February 14, 2007, 02:45:17 PM
How much did that set ya back?  Does it recognize Yooper?

It probably wouldn't do me much good.  I only type about 25 wpm, but I only think at 15 wpm anyway. ::)
Ya, well, I can do 100 wpm... you do mean words per month, right? :D :D :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

rebocardo

Software like this is really great for blind people. Just amazing how doubling the CPu power every 5 years (am I getting Moore's law right?) is enabling more people through sheer processing power. A long way from my Covox speech syn on my Commodore 64, which we thought back then was amazing  :D

rewimmer

Wonder if them folks at Office Max has got a Southern version of that there software? We all talk kinda funny down here. I don't think that there software would understand words like Yall, oughtoo, gonna, thats uh nugh, taint so, old bag (wife),etc.
Redneck from Virginia

isawlogs

Tom . my fingers knows what letters lie under them , they know how and where to sit themselves .. What they are having a hard time doing is placing all them letters in a coherent way as to form a word and then place this word in a sentence then place this sentence in a paragraphe ...   ;D  takes a lot of coagitating ...  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Larry

We bought our deaf mother-in-law something called voice carry over (VCO).  Think it used to be called teletype relay service.  Works like this...I dial 711 and get a operator who dials mother-in-law.  When I speak the operator types and mother-in-law reads the message from some kind of electronic gadget.  The operator can easily type faster than I can talk...and think.  I think it is a federally mandated program.  Mother-in-law has Sprint service.  This would be an excellent use for voice recognition...if it worked as some claim it to.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

Quotemy fingers knows

I know what your problem is. Your mind is all consumed with that French stuff.  

I'll bet you could type English if your were copying from a text.   It's the translation your having to do that discombobulates your fingers when the esoteric waves of electrical mental energy is tangled in a maelstrom of twitching axons which create turmoil in the synapse and send the motor responses to the wrong appendage motivators.

Actually, I'm impressed that you're so smart that you can decipher that French stuff.  I can't do it.  :D

isawlogs

Tom .. you have a way wit words mon ami ...  Call you in six month .. cause dats How long its gonna take me to get to know what you wrote ... at least find out what half of it is ..  ;) :D

Marcel , the smart in french one .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

srjones

Quote from: rebocardo on February 14, 2007, 07:13:50 PM
Software like this is really great for blind people. Just amazing how doubling the CPu power every 5 years (am I getting Moore's law right?) is enabling more people through sheer processing power.

Close...doubles every 18 months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moores_law

On the subject of voice recognition & Moore's law, with the multi core processors coming out soon, the thought is that one or more cores would be dedicated to voice recognition. 

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Modat22

Dragon naturally speaking is awesome but relies heavily on the mic being used. I use a logitec USB noise canceling mic and it brought the accuracy up almost to 100 percent. But I don't use it at work.
remember man that thy are dust.

Robert R

I make my living typing as a medical transcriptionist.  I've never used Dragon but a couple years ago, the company I work for started using their own speech recognition software called DocuScribe.  It isn't anything you could buy as an individual but it is great.  My production is about 25% faster just listening and editing medical reports rather than typing them all out word for word and it is much less tiresome.  The program we use learns quickly and even handles very very bad accents well with a bit of time.  It really is amazing.  Someone mentioned blind people in this topic.  My wife is blind and works for the same company doing the same thing.  She is way, way faster than I am but I think the speech recognition for her is a bit slower than her typing mostly because she is trying to listen to what the doctor says and what the computer says at the same time but when she types, she trusts her fingers enough to not have her computer talking and just listens to the doctor and then spell check.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Thank You Sponsors!