iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to saw a burl

Started by bendjoseph, March 12, 2017, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

A buddy gave me ten cords of oak and cherry.  This was in on of the trees.  How should I have it sawed?  I left about a foot of trunk on both ends.

ChugiakTinkerer

No advice on the burl, but your image didn't post.  Is this the one?

Woodland Mills HM130

GAB

Quote from: bendjoseph on March 12, 2017, 09:25:44 AM
A buddy gave me ten cords of oak and cherry.  This was in on of the trees.  How should I have it sawed?  I left about a foot of trunk on both ends.

How you have it sawed I'd say depends on what you would like to do with it.
I sawed one similar to that only much larger into discs, 1" to 4" thick, as the owner wanted to turn dinner plates and shallow bowls.
Give the customer what he wants within reason and machine capabilities.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

tmbrcruiser

I sawed a large red oak burl into 4" slabs, was able to cut those into pieces as needed later. One thing I was surprised about. The burl as left on an eight foot log and once we cut into the log a few inches the grain returned to normal. This may not hold true with other burls
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

terrifictimbersllc

I have sawn only a few burls of any size, and they were all like the one shown below-a sphere with a log running through it. From my experience, for burl-only figure from this type of burl, I would try to saw (skim) as many pieces as I could off the outside of the log, without including the log.  Maybe even turning it 180 after getting the best side, then after that going for the other two faces (not what I did for the photos below).  Of course I'd saw the log (center) too, but what i mean is to go for the wood from the outside of the log as much as possible.   This progression shows the results from sawing one burl through and through.  This customer wanted widest possible pieces for coffee table type projects not just small burl pieces.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

safdchief2

WM 1995 LT40HD OnanG24 - Farmall M - Selfmade 32" log arch - 2011 FLHTCU FFSE

Thank You Sponsors!