iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Am i killing my saw

Started by limbrat, March 17, 2007, 10:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

I ran a stihl since i could first buy one, it became reflex to kill the saw by flicking the switch up with my thumb to the kill position. Now i run Dolmars and the up position is choke and down is kill. Once a month or so i flip the switch up out of habit to kill the saw and end up choking it dead. Today i did the same thing and i could hear the gas boiling on the piston and it vented some vapor out of the exaust. It reminded me of a saw i killed several years ago that saw i ran out of gas when i refueled it the gas tank boiled over and it burnt a hole in the piston. I think it was a craftsman. So am i hurting my little ps.510?
ben

Kevin

I'm guessing you would only be flooding the carb which only kicks out so much fuel per cycle so it won't be doing any damage to the saw.

limbrat

Glad to hear it, when i heard that noise and seen the vapor coming out of my saw it gave me a bad flash back.
ben

Kevin

Have a look through this link and it will give you a better understanding where the fuel comes in and how it gets cycled up to the piston and out the exhaust after it's combusted.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke.htm

D Martin

treeape

Quote from: D Martin on March 18, 2007, 02:28:10 PM
cool site kevin

But if it would only give me some insight as to what makes my wife tick............. :D

sawguy21

Now that is asking a lot.  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

theorm

Asking about how wives work or makes them tick. That should get this thread locked in a hurry!
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

Nudgewood

In a 4-stroke that unburned fuel would wash oil off of the cylinder wall, not sure whether that would be the case with 2-strokes or if you'd actually end up with more oil after the fuel evaporates.

%<
Sumpin always depends on Sumpin.

sawdust

I think the howstuffworks site only has information on things that function logically, predictably, with repeated results... sorry treeape. not gonna happen ;)

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

jokers

Quote from: Nudgewood on March 18, 2007, 11:28:25 PM
In a 4-stroke that unburned fuel would wash oil off of the cylinder wall, not sure whether that would be the case with 2-strokes or if you'd actually end up with more oil after the fuel evaporates.

%<
I agree with your line of thinking Nudgewood, the only real downside would be that killing the engine by choking it all the time would be setting it up for heavy carbon on the piston dome and spark plug or maybe stick a ring. We all know where that leads. Doing it once a month or so? Probably never be a problem.

Thank You Sponsors!